Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

HMA Hugh Elliott sends a video message to UK Nationals in Spain

HMA Hugh Elliott sends a video message to UK Nationals in Spain

Old Sep 25th 2020, 3:59 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HMA Hugh Elliott sends a video message to UK Nationals in Spain

Don’t worry about it. Boris has told me that will sort it all out by December 31.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Totally agree plus if renting a UK property you end up paying tax to UK so complicated if going from Spanish account I would guess. I am also a UK tax payer for life as my pensions are crown pensions so I can pay the UK tax but not have a UK bank account? Re rebates currently I get them paid direct into my UK account through the HMRC gateway? That maybe because I'm UK tax payer I don't know.
Probably because you have a UK address, although you rent it out and don't live there. I'm registered with the HMRC gateway too, but there are certain things it won't let me do as I'm an overseas resident. I have a crown pension too which I have a UK personal allowance to set against, but it's too small to have to pay any UK tax on.

It's funny that when I paid some additional years of voluntary NI contributions recently to boost my state pension (because of having been contracted out for most of my working life) they had no problem in accepting payment via a transfer from my UK bank account (or I had the option of making a transfer from an overseas account), but if THEY owe ME money, I can only be sent a cheque. After the cheque they sent me went astray in the post I pointed out that it didn't seem a very secure way of sending a payment and asked if I could have it paid into my UK account instead, but it was a case of "computer says no".

Last edited by Lynn R; Sep 25th 2020 at 4:08 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Probably because you have a UK address, although you rent it out and don't live there. I'm registered with the HMRC gateway too, but there are certain things it won't let me do as I'm an overseas resident. I have a crown pension too which I have a UK personal allowance to set against, but it's too small to have to pay any UK tax on.

It's funny that when I paid some additional years of voluntary NI contributions recently to boost my state pension (because of having been contracted out for most of my working life) they had no problem in accepting payment via a transfer from my UK bank account (or I had the option of making a transfer from an overseas account), but if THEY owe ME money, I can only be sent a cheque. After the cheque they sent me went astray in the post I pointed out that it didn't seem a very secure way of sending a payment and asked if I could have it paid into my UK account instead, but it was a case of "computer says no".
Not sure re UK address as I am registered with HMRC at my Spanish address. It was only my last rebate that allowed me to pay it direct to my bank. Certainly worked and made things much easier.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Not sure re UK address as I am registered with HMRC at my Spanish address. It was only my last rebate that allowed me to pay it direct to my bank. Certainly worked and made things much easier.
Maybe they have updated their systems then, as the one I referred to was about 3/4 years ago. Although I just looked at the HMRC website information about how to claim a rebate of tax overpaid on UK income if you live abroad, and it says that refunds are normally paid by cheque unless you include your bank details on your tax return - but I didn't submit a tax return, just a Double Taxation relief form.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Maybe they have updated their systems then, as the one I referred to was about 3/4 years ago. Although I just looked at the HMRC website information about how to claim a rebate of tax overpaid on UK income if you live abroad, and it says that refunds are normally paid by cheque unless you include your bank details on your tax return - but I didn't submit a tax return, just a Double Taxation relief form.
I haven't had to submit a UK tax return yet. So strange