Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Historic moment: EU Referendum

Historic moment: EU Referendum

Old Jun 29th 2016, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Historic moment: EU Referendum

Originally Posted by OldPro
I have to say I am a bit confused by some of the comments I read here. Regardless of whether someone is in favour of the UK leaving or staying, some comments read as if they were talking about someone else rather than themselves.

When I read for example, " till we leave", I ask myself if this is a person living in the UK or a British immigrant living in Spain? Given this is a forum for British immigrants living outside the UK (and this sub-forum for those in Spain), I would expect to read comments based on the view of an Ex-UK resident who is now a Spanish Resident. I would not expect to read a 'till WE leave'. You are living in Spain. As a Spanish resident you aren't part of the Brexit at all. Or do you now plan to return to the UK?

My wife and I live in Canada. I arrived from the UK as a child. My wife arrived as an Immigrant from the UK, 10 years ago. We are both Canadian. While the Brexit referendum is of great interest to us for various reasons including being our place of birth, we do not talk about is as 'we will leave or remain'. We talk about it as 'they will leave or remain.'

We also talk about it in terms of its significance to us personally. We could have moved to Spain to live until last Friday without a problem based on our dual nationality. As of Friday, that option no longer exists.

But while we are very much concerned for the people of the UK as well as those of the other EU countries and what this will mean to them all and also concerned for how it impacts us personally, we do not think in terms of 'we leave' at all. I find that very strange indeed.

If you want to use 'till we leave', then you need to move back to the UK and take part in the leaving. Otherwise, I would see it as pretty two-faced for a Spanish resident to continue living in Spain which is in the EU and encouraging Brits to leave the EU at the same time. That's like supporting the OTHER team, not your home team.
Surely a British citizen still holds an interest in the uk? They may be Spanish Resident but not Spanish citizens many may well still be British tax payers are you saying they should have no interest in how that money is spent? From what you say you and your wife have taken Canadian citizenship that is of course different.Most will also be reliant on uk paying their health cover in Spain / EU one worry they will have is what will happen re that?
Old Jun 29th 2016, 7:11 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-eu-referendum
Old Jun 29th 2016, 7:14 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
Wonder when we'll get our ID cards back?
Got mine a couple of months ago, along with Spanish nationality.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
As has already been said, the FTSE 100 is up because it is starting to become apparent no one wants to pull the trigger, will we ever leave the EU ?, maybe not.

I went to a function at the weekend, 10 blokes in total with me being the only one to vote remain, all think we will be able to access the EU market without free movement of people, how did they work that out?, leave told them so, 2 of them voted leave for the extra money the NHS was going to get, its clear to me a lot of people in the UK think they can have the cake and eat it,

We will see
Old Jun 29th 2016, 9:21 pm
Banned

OldPro is just really niceOldPro is just really niceOldPro is just really niceOldPro is just really niceOldPro is just really niceOldPro is just really niceOldPro is just really niceOldPro is just really nice

Originally Posted by bobd22
Surely a British citizen still holds an interest in the uk? They may be Spanish Resident but not Spanish citizens many may well still be British tax payers are you saying they should have no interest in how that money is spent? From what you say you and your wife have taken Canadian citizenship that is of course different.Most will also be reliant on uk paying their health cover in Spain / EU one worry they will have is what will happen re that?
Of course British citizens including my wife and I still have an interest in the UK. But if we have chosen to take up residence elsewhere, whether also taking up citizenship or not, we are not entitled to say 'till we leave'. WE are not living there anymore. I see no difference between a Brit immigrant in Spain and one in any other country.

My wife and I also have income derived in the UK bobd22 and so there is nothing unique in that regard either. The one thing that is unique is that up until now, those in Spain have got healthcare paid for by the UK which we do not get here in Canada. Of course it isn't really free in the UK either, it's paid for with your taxes but that is another story. I do have to say though that I always laugh when people talk about 'free' healthcare.

As for those staying in Spain and currently being reliant on the UK paying their healthcare in Spain, well the answer to that is obvious I would have thought. Become Spanish if you want to stay and do what the Spanish do. It is certainly not going to be paid by the UK once the exit date arrives. Anyone who thinks it will is beyond naïve.

Another factor is pension indexing. You may or may not be aware that UK State Pensions are not indexed linked for pensioners in every country they choose to retire to. Australia and Canada being prime examples. So where those receiving UK State Pensions in the UK as well as some other countries including the EU countries enjoy a 2.5% (currently) increase in their pension every year, those being paid elsewhere have their pension frozen at the amount it was for the first month they receive it. That may well happen to those retired in Spain etc. as the tax agreement that covers it is with the EEA, not the individual countries. Oops.

I don't intend to be rude or anything bobd22, but somehow there is something fundamentally wrong when someone living in Spain refers to 'till we leave' when in fact that person chose to leave some time ago. It's like trying to say, 'I'm in Spain (or wherever else) but I'm not really here. I'm still in the UK.'
Old Jun 29th 2016, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course British citizens including my wife and I still have an interest in the UK. But if we have chosen to take up residence elsewhere, whether also taking up citizenship or not, we are not entitled to say 'till we leave'. WE are not living there anymore. I see no difference between a Brit immigrant in Spain and one in any other country.

My wife and I also have income derived in the UK bobd22 and so there is nothing unique in that regard either. The one thing that is unique is that up until now, those in Spain have got healthcare paid for by the UK which we do not get here in Canada. Of course it isn't really free in the UK either, it's paid for with your taxes but that is another story. I do have to say though that I always laugh when people talk about 'free' healthcare.

As for those staying in Spain and currently being reliant on the UK paying their healthcare in Spain, well the answer to that is obvious I would have thought. Become Spanish if you want to stay and do what the Spanish do. It is certainly not going to be paid by the UK once the exit date arrives. Anyone who thinks it will is beyond naïve.

Another factor is pension indexing. You may or may not be aware that UK State Pensions are not indexed linked for pensioners in every country they choose to retire to. Australia and Canada being prime examples. So where those receiving UK State Pensions in the UK as well as some other countries including the EU countries enjoy a 2.5% (currently) increase in their pension every year, those being paid elsewhere have their pension frozen at the amount it was for the first month they receive it. That may well happen to those retired in Spain etc. as the tax agreement that covers it is with the EEA, not the individual countries. Oops.

I don't intend to be rude or anything bobd22, but somehow there is something fundamentally wrong when someone living in Spain refers to 'till we leave' when in fact that person chose to leave some time ago. It's like trying to say, 'I'm in Spain (or wherever else) but I'm not really here. I'm still in the UK.'
I didn't mention that expats paying tax were unique but are entitled to have an interest in how that tax is paid as are you if you pay uk tax. I won't argue with your opinion. Health care in Spain or indeed anywhere in the eu is derived from having paid National Insurance not tax and yes I personally can understand why many elderly are worried at losing it. I would imagine that and the pension indexing was a big draw to choosing to retire to the eu. At least you knew when you chose Canada that you would get neither free health care or pension indexing, therefore you made an informed choice they did not, that is not as you say "naive".

Last edited by bobd22; Jun 29th 2016 at 9:35 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say I am a bit confused by some of the comments I read here. Regardless of whether someone is in favour of the UK leaving or staying, some comments read as if they were talking about someone else rather than themselves.

When I read for example, " till we leave", I ask myself if this is a person living in the UK or a British immigrant living in Spain? Given this is a forum for British immigrants living outside the UK (and this sub-forum for those in Spain), I would expect to read comments based on the view of an Ex-UK resident who is now a Spanish Resident. I would not expect to read a 'till WE leave'. You are living in Spain. As a Spanish resident you aren't part of the Brexit at all. Or do you now plan to return to the UK?

My wife and I live in Canada. I arrived from the UK as a child. My wife arrived as an Immigrant from the UK, 10 years ago. We are both Canadian. While the Brexit referendum is of great interest to us for various reasons including being our place of birth, we do not talk about is as 'we will leave or remain'. We talk about it as 'they will leave or remain.'

We also talk about it in terms of its significance to us personally. We could have moved to Spain to live until last Friday without a problem based on our dual nationality. As of Friday, that option no longer exists.

But while we are very much concerned for the people of the UK as well as those of the other EU countries and what this will mean to them all and also concerned for how it impacts us personally, we do not think in terms of 'we leave' at all. I find that very strange indeed.

If you want to use 'till we leave', then you need to move back to the UK and take part in the leaving. Otherwise, I would see it as pretty two-faced for a Spanish resident to continue living in Spain which is in the EU and encouraging Brits to leave the EU at the same time. That's like supporting the OTHER team, not your home team.
In the recent referendum, some of us voted for the UK and British people as a whole rather than only our own personal self-interests.

I'm resident in Spain and have been for many years. The Brexit result may affect me personally, then again it may not.
I believe the EU is a corrupt and anti-democratic club that bullies and threatens its members into submission using economic threats such as shutting down a country's banking system. How can anyone in their right mind believe that what was done to Greece was just and fair?

The fact that my access to health care may change or my pension may go down or mobile phone calls might be more expensive or my next foreign holiday might cost a bit more are irrelevent. Some of us voted leave for reasons above and beyond these petty arguments.

Just because we are expats and immigrants into another country, we don't stop being British.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 9:38 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
In the recent referendum, some of us voted for the UK and British people as a whole rather than only our own personal self-interests.

I'm resident in Spain and have been for many years. The Brexit result may affect me personally, then again it may not.
I believe the EU is a corrupt and anti-democratic club that bullies and threatens its members into submission using economic threats such as shutting down a country's banking system. How can anyone in their right mind believe that what was done to Greece was just and fair?

The fact that my access to health care may change or my pension may go down or mobile phone calls might be more expensive or my next foreign holiday might cost a bit more are irrelevent. Some of us voted leave for reasons above and beyond these petty arguments.

Just because we are expats and immigrants into another country, we don't stop being British.

My views and way of thinking exactly.

The whole remain campaign was based around greed.
Cameron and co presumed everyone had the same money obsessed mindset as themselves to the exclusion of all else.

In any event, in the long term, I think the UK will come out of it better than the EU.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 11:58 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

I dont understand his 3 little words 'till we leave' have such import.

I am an expat living outside of the UK and expect a lot of turbulence 'till WE (Britain) leave (the EU)'

You can take the boy out of Britain, but not Britain out of the boy!!

Jon

BTW I am pretty sure that I will lose out financially, my pension etc, as well, but for me the country comes first, and though 48% don't agree with me I think the country will be better off, eventually.

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jun 30th 2016 at 12:10 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 12:15 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh Bojo is out! What a week!!!!!
Old Jun 30th 2016, 12:49 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Gosh Bojo is out! What a week!!!!!
Poor fella. Stabbed in the back, then stabbed in the belly all in one morning.
Bet he wishes he'd stayed in bed.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 1:36 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Well, considering the key points the brexit camp implied we'd get:

- No more foreigners
- More free healthcare
- Higher wages
- Loads of jobs and prosperity

I think claiming it was somehow selfless is a bit of a stretch. Especially considering we won't get any of those, any way it pans out.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 3:34 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Poor fella. Stabbed in the back, then stabbed in the belly all in one morning.
Bet he wishes he'd stayed in bed.
Sounding more like of "House of Cards" every day. Gove does resemble Kevin Spacey a little bit.

On the upside, apparently that's the plan. Finally.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 4:19 pm
Banned

OldPro is just really niceOldPro is just really niceOldPro is just really niceOldPro is just really niceOldPro is just really niceOldPro is just really niceOldPro is just really niceOldPro is just really nice

Originally Posted by bobd22
I didn't mention that expats paying tax were unique but are entitled to have an interest in how that tax is paid as are you if you pay uk tax. I won't argue with your opinion. Health care in Spain or indeed anywhere in the eu is derived from having paid National Insurance not tax and yes I personally can understand why many elderly are worried at losing it. I would imagine that and the pension indexing was a big draw to choosing to retire to the eu. At least you knew when you chose Canada that you would get neither free health care or pension indexing, therefore you made an informed choice they did not, that is not as you say "naive".
Bobd22, being a taxpayer does NOT necessarily entitle a person to a say in how that tax is spent(I assume you didn't mean paid). Being a resident does but if you are a non-resident and in the case of the Brexit referendum non-resident for more than 15 years, you have no say and no vote. Just as you have no say and no vote in a UK general election in the same way.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 4:25 pm
Banned

ROTFLMAO, what percentage would you say that covers billgates? And do you think there is necessarily any correlation between your non-self-interested vote and whether it was the right vote or not?

Give yourself another pat on the back billgates. I'm sure Donald Trump gives himself one every day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.