Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hispanic women and hairstyles...?

Hispanic women and hairstyles...?

Old Sep 22nd 2011, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hispanic women and hairstyles...?

Ok my question is wide-ranging yet specific. (?) I reckon there is some arbitrary age beyond which most hispanic women don't wear their hair long (ie past their collar). At my son's school I'd say the age is a bit of a movable feast but generally late 30s. Given pics posted from cousins/family in Argentina it might be earlier. In the UK it would maybe be late 20s? Teens? Anyone have any inside knowledge? And what is it with Spanish women and long hair anyway? Is it just because it's thick and dark and luscious-looking even when straightened to the very edge of life, or is there another reason??!!
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hispanic women and hairstyles...?

Originally Posted by fionamw
Ok my question is wide-ranging yet specific. (?) I reckon there is some arbitrary age beyond which most hispanic women don't wear their hair long (ie past their collar). At my son's school I'd say the age is a bit of a movable feast but generally late 30s. Given pics posted from cousins/family in Argentina it might be earlier. In the UK it would maybe be late 20s? Teens? Anyone have any inside knowledge? And what is it with Spanish women and long hair anyway? Is it just because it's thick and dark and luscious-looking even when straightened to the very edge of life, or is there another reason??!!
Are Spanish people Hispanic? By the US definition they certainly aren't.

But in the Latin definition then of course they are.

Anyway, no idea. My OH has very thin blondish hair so doesnt live up to the stereotype
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Are Spanish people Hispanic? By the US definition they certainly aren't.

But in the Latin definition then of course they are.

Anyway, no idea. My OH has very thin blondish hair so doesnt live up to the stereotype
I did think after posting that it was a bit of a cliche'd question but hey ho it was too late... as generalisations go, though, from standing outside school twice a day, I still think the point's valid
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I did think after posting that it was a bit of a cliche'd question but hey ho it was too late... as generalisations go, though, from standing outside school twice a day, I still think the point's valid
It is a valid enough point, for people in Spain. Thinking about my female relatives over 50, noone has their hair long. And come to think of it, I dont think any older women have their hair long. Maybe those over 45.

However, as for Argentina. Dont overestimate the similarities. They speak Spanish but not too much else is common. My Argentinian friends call themselves "Italians who speak Spanish", but above all, Argentinian.

And if you ask an elderly Spaniard that they share a culture with Bolivia or Ecuador, they will burst out laughing.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is a valid enough point, for people in Spain. Thinking about my female relatives over 50, noone has their hair long. And come to think of it, I dont think any older women have their hair long. Maybe those over 45.

However, as for Argentina. Dont overestimate the similarities. They speak Spanish but not too much else is common. My Argentinian friends call themselves "Italians who speak Spanish", but above all, Argentinian.

And if you ask an elderly Spaniard that they share a culture with Bolivia or Ecuador, they will burst out laughing.
Agreed... but I wasn't talking about culture, and I have visited Argentina reasonably extensively (albeit quite a number of years back), and wouldn't say any of my family/people known to the famly consider themselves 'I who spk Sp' though of course I know the Italian influences there. Not sure that's relevant to hair length though!!!!!
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

The only Spanish women I seem to see with long hair once they are over about 30 are the gitanas, that must be a cultural thing I suppose.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lynn R
The only Spanish women I seem to see with long hair once they are over about 30 are the gitanas, that must be a cultural thing I suppose.
30 is very low. More like 45. Maybe they look good for their age
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 10:41 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

30 is very low. More like 45. Maybe they look good for their age
Apart from the ones that go in for the 'soft boiled egg with rubber bands round it' look.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

) I reckon there is some arbitrary age beyond which most hispanic women don't wear their hair long (ie past their collar). At my son's school I'd say the age is a bit of a movable feast but generally late 30s.

or is there another reason??!!

Because they havnt yet heard of the Croydon facelift?
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bil
Apart from the ones that go in for the 'soft boiled egg with rubber bands round it' look.
What's that?
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 11:20 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say I've really noticed, but thinking about it you're about right, late 30s early 40s maybe

my dad thought that I should get my hair cut 'at your age' as he put it - but I won't be
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I can't say I've really noticed, but thinking about it you're about right, late 30s early 40s maybe

my dad thought that I should get my hair cut 'at your age' as he put it - but I won't be
Since moving to Spain I've taken the long in summer (to be able to tie back) Short in winter (somewhat more kempt!) approach. Till DS1's wedding was approaching. Then I went all 'graduated bob' and loved it!

The question arose literally from standing outside school twice a day and figuring the N Europeans (not many of us) were noticeable by our shorter hairstyles regardless of age.... I can't now sitting here thinking about it, remember a single Spanish mum with anything less than shoulder length hair.... bu&&er just did. One.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 12:07 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

What's that?
Think what a soft boiled egg would look like if you put a rubber band round the middle.

Then translate that image to a moderately overweight woman wearing clothes that cinches her in at the middle.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 12:13 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa

Oh dear!!!!! Good job that he did not clap eyes on me then. Hair is about 9 inches from nape of neck and I am a pensioner. Always have a problem with dealing with my hair if it is short, my hair does not seem to take styles, it is willful. I cannot manage it unless I can tie it back or put it up.

Rosemary
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 12:17 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Oh dear!!!!! Good job that he did not clap eyes on me then. Hair is about 9 inches from nape of neck and I am a pensioner. Always have a problem with dealing with my hair if it is short, my hair does not seem to take styles, it is willful. I cannot manage it unless I can tie it back or put it up.

Rosemary
mine, too - longer than when you last saw it

mine is so thick & curly that it's easier to just let it grow & put it up when it's hot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.