Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hiring a van and removal companies UK to Spain

Hiring a van and removal companies UK to Spain

Old Apr 9th 2021, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hiring a van and removal companies UK to Spain

Originally Posted by Rotor
Hiring a van to drive through Europe will not be cheap if its even possible post Brexit , maybe cheaper to use a professional haulier, ideally a Spanish one as currently they seem to get less bureaucratic obstructions .
Its still possible there are at least 2 Uk companies I know of that are operating.

Price has not risen that much (about 10%) more than when I did it last year.
No customs forms for personal items if owned for more than 6 months (how you prove that is another question)

This gives good details as to moving stuff over.

https://www.expatica.com/es/moving/r...-spain-768074/
Old Apr 9th 2021, 10:19 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej

This gives good details as to moving stuff over.

https://www.expatica.com/es/moving/r...-spain-768074/
Page was updated on the 'February 01, 2021', which is good, as by the date one assumes that they have already learned the lesson of shipping goods from the UK to the EU, post Brexit.

One question, how formal are they? Do they require you to sign a contract, for the removal?
Old Apr 10th 2021, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Alfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond repute

Really confused now. Have asked the UK, French and Spanish authorities so far. And have had the following replies.
UK Hmrc : no need for a customs doc if transporting your own goods in the back of your van. However cannot confirm what you will need to enter the EU.
France & Spain consulates just send you links to customs pages, which seem to only be directed at trade shipping and mentions nothing about personal items.
French customs have told me that I need a customs doc, however the link they provided, again, is the one directed at trade shipping.
The van hire company in the UK has told me there is no need for a customs doc when transporting your own personal items.
So really lost now.....
Old Apr 10th 2021, 1:11 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfonsocolli
Really confused now. Have asked the UK, French and Spanish authorities so far. And have had the following replies.
UK Hmrc : no need for a customs doc if transporting your own goods in the back of your van. However cannot confirm what you will need to enter the EU.
France & Spain consulates just send you links to customs pages, which seem to only be directed at trade shipping and mentions nothing about personal items.
French customs have told me that I need a customs doc, however the link they provided, again, is the one directed at trade shipping.
The van hire company in the UK has told me there is no need for a customs doc when transporting your own personal items.
So really lost now.....
It is at the discretion of the officers when you enter the country.
Old Apr 10th 2021, 3:19 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Would it not be better to cut France out of the equation and go from the UK direct to Spain via ferry? Seems to me to be one less thing that can go wrong when it comes to customs.

This PDF from the Agencia Tributaria might help.

Look at the requirements about halfway down the page (requisitos). You need to show you've stopped being a resident of the UK. You might need to ring the Spanish consulate in the UK to ask how to do this given it's difficult enough prove residency in the UK, let alone non-residency.

Finally I'm not 100% sure, but it might be useful to have your Spanish residency sorted out (or at least have a appointment booked to get it sorted out) before moving your possessions. They're probably going to want your NIE anyway.

Last edited by DLC; Apr 10th 2021 at 3:31 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2021, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

I was moving my belongings with a licensed Removal firm but from Spain into UK,in February this year.I can only assume there will be as much paperwork as I had to provide whichever way goods are transported post Brexit.There was a large amount of written documentation required by BRITISH Customs,including my last electricity bill of all things.This was needed before I left Spain & I,& the Removal firm ,were informed of this & a number given which the driver had to produce when he arrived.Unfortunately Customs personnel at the arrival ferry point on the south coast of England didn´t know what they were looking at so the drivers were all delayed.Maybe by now you would imagine,as so often said by our Govn."lessons have been learned" But don´t hold your breath.
Old Apr 10th 2021, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Alfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
Would it not be better to cut France out of the equation and go from the UK direct to Spain via ferry? Seems to me to be one less thing that can go wrong when it comes to customs.

Look at the requirements about halfway down the page (requisitos). You need to show you've stopped being a resident of the UK. You might need to ring the Spanish consulate in the UK to ask how to do this given it's difficult enough prove residency in the UK, let alone non-residency.

Finally I'm not 100% sure, but it might be useful to have your Spanish residency sorted out (or at least have a appointment booked to get it sorted out) before moving your possessions. They're probably going to want your NIE anyway.
We were going to go by ferry, but as we're bringing a dog with us, all the cabins that allow dogs are taken until November...
Old Apr 10th 2021, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DLC

Do you know if they have that pdf in English please?
Old Apr 10th 2021, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dougal03
I was moving my belongings with a licensed Removal firm but from Spain into UK,in February this year.I can only assume there will be as much paperwork as I had to provide whichever way goods are transported post Brexit.There was a large amount of written documentation required by BRITISH Customs,including my last electricity bill of all things.This was needed before I left Spain & I,& the Removal firm ,were informed of this & a number given which the driver had to produce when he arrived.Unfortunately Customs personnel at the arrival ferry point on the south coast of England didn´t know what they were looking at so the drivers were all delayed.Maybe by now you would imagine,as so often said by our Govn."lessons have been learned" But don´t hold your breath.
Thanks
Did you have to provide some sort of customs declaration?
Old Apr 11th 2021, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Sandman
This might help

No need for customs clearance for personal items

https://www.agenciatributaria.es/AEA...a_Aduana.shtml

You'll need information in the personal ("vehicles" and "reliefs for change of residence" would be the two most important I guess) and general sections.

Old Apr 16th 2021, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Sandm4n is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alfonsocolli
Sandman
This might help

No need for customs clearance for personal items

https://www.agenciatributaria.es/AEA...a_Aduana.shtml

You'll need information in the personal ("vehicles" and "reliefs for change of residence" would be the two most important I guess) and general sections.

Thanks....but how and where you declare your personal belongings as personal belongings?
Old Apr 16th 2021, 8:52 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

If and when stopped by customs, it is your responsibility to provide proof, e.g. a receipt for purchase of the items
Old Apr 16th 2021, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Sandm4n is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you think Ebay's printed transaction page will be good enough?
Old Apr 16th 2021, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sandm4n
Thanks....but how and where you declare your personal belongings as personal belongings?
How did it go at the Consulate Sandm4n?
Old Apr 16th 2021, 11:05 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Sandm4n
Do you think Ebay's printed transaction page will be good enough?
It would appear your intention is to buy stuff on eBay to take to Spain? Evidence of recent transactions may not be acceptable. The official may take the view that you are a trader buying goods to import and sell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.