Reload this Page >

Hiring a van and removal companies UK to Spain

Hiring a van and removal companies UK to Spain

Old Apr 2nd 2021, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Sandm4n is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hiring a van and removal companies UK to Spain

Hi all,

I’m a EU national (not British) currently live in the UK but plan moving to Spain on May.
I was thinking about hiring a on way var self drive service (preferable) or a reliable removel company, searching the web I’ve found “too many” removal/van hire companies, it’s so confusing as every company “spread their promises” for a to good to be true service so I’ll appreciate your advice/experience with van hire/removals companies.

How easy it to self drive a loaded van to Spain?

as an EU national (arriving from UK) what kind of documents do I need for customs clearance in Spain?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hiring a van and removal companies UK to Spain

Originally Posted by Sandm4n
Hi all,

I’m a EU national (not British) currently live in the UK but plan moving to Spain on May.
I was thinking about hiring a on way var self drive service (preferable) or a reliable removel company, searching the web I’ve found “too many” removal/van hire companies, it’s so confusing as every company “spread their promises” for a to good to be true service so I’ll appreciate your advice/experience with van hire/removals companies.

as an EU national (arriving from UK) what kind of documents do I need for customs clearance in Spain?

Thanks in advance.

We moved our stuff via a one way rental in August last year with J hire. they are based in Southampton (well in-between there and Salisbury)
There are a couple of others but I can only comment on the one we used.
Price wise budget for around £160 a day (vat and extras on top)
Ferry, they will give you a code for 10% off the basic fare. You must book a cabin which is extra. If you go Chunnel then depending on the van size you can go passenger (stay in van) which is cheaper, but will add another day of driving but save on the day of sailing.
The van was only a couple of years old and they were very helpful.

We spent about £2,000 in total for West Sussex to inland of Benidorm. Journey time including driving from Santander to home, took me 9.5hours and 680km, I didn't stop except to refuel and have a pee (but again I was used to driving 1500m a week for my job)
Also at the moment you will still have the curfew, so you may not be able to drive overnight (again don't quote me on this)

If you are moving with personal items only, I think you only need a list (don't quote me here though ) as there should not be any tax or duty to pay.

As for how easy.... What experience have you with a vehicle 6m long weighing about 3 ton?
Cornering is fun, but again I drove panel and 10 ton trucks in the Uk so no issues for me.
As long as you don't rush, its not a lot different to a minibus and even better if there are 2 of you.
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Barriej
As for how easy.... What experience have you with a vehicle 6m long weighing about 3 ton?
Cornering is fun, but again I drove panel and 10 ton trucks in the Uk so no issues for me.
As long as you don't rush, its not a lot different to a minibus and even better if there are 2 of you.
Driving long distance is not an issue for me but never drove a 6m long van but drove a medium panel vans couple of times before, my personal belongings volume is about 7-8cbm max, no furniture or any electrical appliances, just 40-50 boxes.
I’ve checked jhire website and it seems they have medium panel vans( which can load up to 13 cbm), was your van lhd or rhd van?

thanks again
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
Not sure if persons( without residency)from UK can enter Spain at moment.
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
Not sure if persons( without residency)from UK can enter Spain at moment.
I am a British resident with European passport.

Old Apr 2nd 2021, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Driving long distance is not an issue for me but never drove a 6m long van but drove a medium panel vans couple of times before, my personal belongings volume is about 7-8cbm max, no furniture or any electrical appliances, just 40-50 boxes.
I’ve checked jhire website and it seems they have medium panel vans( which can load up to 13 cbm), was your van lhd or rhd van?

thanks again
All the vans are RHD, which makes roundabouts and toll roads fun (the wife was with me so she looked for me)
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 5:37 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I am a British resident with European passport.
Chipmonk was referring to Spanish residency.

Rosemary
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rosemary

Rosemary
The thing is that I’m sure how the Spanish authorities sees me, as a British resident or an EU national?
As far as I know EU nationals can enter Spain without any issues.
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rosemary

Rosemary
The following is a message I received for the Spanish embassy in UK:
”After the 30th March 2021, the travel restrictions between the UK and Spain will be those established for travels from outside the EU in the Orden INT/657/2020 published on the 17th July 2020 as per the EU recommendations.

According to these measures, EU Member States citizens will be allowed to enter Spain, as well as their family members and free movement beneficiaries. However, third country nationals – that is citizens from countries which are not part of the EU – will only be able to enter Spain if they fall under any of the following categories.....”
Old Apr 5th 2021, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Alfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
I'm doing the same in July and just had 2 quotes from the following
way2go hire and j-hire
Old Apr 5th 2021, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Done the same, as far as I understand Way2go vans are LHD vans and Jhire are RHD vans.
Jhire turned out to be a bit more expensive.
Do you know what kind of documents required if you're not using removal company but move personal belongings by yourself ("self drive")?
Old Apr 5th 2021, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Alfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond repute

Done the same, as far as I understand Way2go vans are LHD vans and Jhire are RHD vans.
Jhire turned out to be a bit more expensive.
Do you know what kind of documents required if you're not using removal company but move personal belongings by yourself ("self drive")?
Not sure as haven't looked into that yet.
Would be great if, once you find out, you'd let me know? 🙂
Old Apr 5th 2021, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alfonsocolli
Not sure as haven't looked into that yet.
Would be great if, once you find out, you'd let me know? 🙂
JHire are all RHD used them last year. Wasn't a problem. 90% of our journey was motorway.

Getting out of Santander was easy as well, you drive for miles (or KM) inside the port and come out just by the motorway ramp.

What you need to also factor in, is returning the van.

I only used JHire because I collected the van from Southampton (at my cost on the train) and they collected it from me near Alicante Airport (as I was picking up my car)
Way2Go used to have an office near Gatwick but when we looked last year they didn't have any vans available and it meant further to the pickup, the drop off was further away from us as well.

JHire charged me €60 to get the van from me as I met them halfway. I think the train fare and taxi (they are on a farm off the A36 halfway between the M27 and Salisbury) was about £50

Thats another cost you will have to build in.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Thanks.

As I inderstand you used their service pre brexit, what kind of documents you had to carry/provide with you for your personal belongings?
Do you know what kind of documents (for customs) required post brexit?
Old Apr 9th 2021, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Hiring a van to drive through Europe will not be cheap if its even possible post Brexit , maybe cheaper to use a professional haulier, ideally a Spanish one as currently they seem to get less bureaucratic obstructions .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.