British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Hiring a transit uk-spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/hiring-transit-uk-spain-449877/)

sjrw May 13th 2007 9:43 pm

Hiring a transit uk-spain

We are travelling from Birmingham last weekend in may with just personal stuff, enough to fill a transit van. Does anyone know where's the best place to hire one from and how much it's likely to cost, including fuel, tolls and hire charges etc.

Rosemary May 14th 2007 6:42 am

Re: Hiring a transit uk-spain

Originally Posted by sjrw (Post 4775957)
We are travelling from Birmingham last weekend in may with just personal stuff, enough to fill a transit van. Does anyone know where's the best place to hire one from and how much it's likely to cost, including fuel, tolls and hire charges etc.

When we were making our plans to move over we found that it was cheaper or similar price to get a removals firm to bring our stuff over as a part load.

We paid 1460 pounds for a what they classified as a luton van sized load if that is any help.

Rosemary

Mitzyboy May 14th 2007 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by sjrw (Post 4775957)

You can get a Luton Van from Thrifty Van Hire Coventry for around £7-800 for a 7or 8 day hire, and with tolls and fuel via the tunnel the total will be less than £1500. A transit van would be cheaper, but the volume you get in a Luton is more.

http://www.thrifty.co.uk/car-hire/coventry-airport.htm

Sugarlugs May 23rd 2007 8:47 pm

If you look on the free beer section I have put some details on there for JK International who we will be using when we set off over there in about 4 weeks, they are very reasonable and it includes european breakdown cover and insurance its 100 euros a day for a transit and 110 euros for a luton and you can drop the van off at Aspe hope this helps

sunnydee May 23rd 2007 9:06 pm

That sounds good. We have been wondering if we could hire a van in the UK and return it somewhere in Spain. It would certainly make life easier for us. I will look in the Free beer thread now.

sjrw May 23rd 2007 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by sunnydee (Post 4821866)
That sounds good. We have been wondering if we could hire a van in the UK and return it somewhere in Spain. It would certainly make life easier for us. I will look in the Free beer thread now.

I hired my transit already - we come down sunday. If only I'd known earlier...
Still it's an adventure.

sunnydee May 23rd 2007 10:20 pm

Where is Sierra de Yeguas? Just being nosy and couldn't see it on the map.

Mitzyboy May 23rd 2007 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by sjrw (Post 4822233)
I hired my transit already - we come down sunday. If only I'd known earlier...
Still it's an adventure.

Who'd you get it off eventually?

sjrw May 24th 2007 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 4822290)
Who'd you get it off eventually?

Where is Sierra de Yeguas? Just being nosy and couldn't see it on the map.
Just in from Fuente de Piedra, home of the donkey Sanctuary and the Flamingo Lake.

We hired from Coton car and van hire, in Tamworth. MWB high top with AA 5* cover plus all the necessities (triangle, spare bulb set, fluorescents etc) all for less than 500 quid for the week. Of course we need to add on fuel and tolls to that, but I think it was the best deal we could find.

Only yesterday I read a post about a post ion the free beer section detailing a number to call for a one way hire...

Sugarlugs May 24th 2007 12:27 pm

Coton car and van hire is that one way or do you have to drop it off back in the UK

sjrw May 24th 2007 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarlugs (Post 4825307)
Coton car and van hire is that one way or do you have to drop it off back in the UK

Has to come back, I'm afraid. Luckily we have loose ends to tie up, so we will be coming by car next time to stay.

There's a one way phone number in the free beer section if that's what you definitely want. Can't say what it's like or price, but it's been put there by someone on the board.

Sugarlugs May 24th 2007 2:23 pm

I know about the one in the free beer section it was me who put it in there, its just a long way for us to go to Southampton and counts as extra days on the hire of it but we will use them unless we can find one nearer to Blackpool that does one way hire.

sjrw May 24th 2007 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarlugs (Post 4825942)
I know about the one in the free beer section it was me who put it in there, its just a long way for us to go to Southampton and counts as extra days on the hire of it but we will use them unless we can find one nearer to Blackpool that does one way hire.

We looked everywhere - well as near to everywhere as we could - and still couldn't find a one way hire. Lots of places advertise one way hire, but it's only one way within UK or even within England. I suppose it's down to the cost of them getting the van back.

Good luck with the search, though. I really do hope that you find one, and if you do, let us all know.

Sugarlugs May 24th 2007 2:45 pm

Will do , but I definately think the one in the free beer section is the best deal especially with the breakdown cover and insurance included.:thumbsup:

jonsol May 24th 2007 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by sjrw (Post 4824265)
Just in from Fuente de Piedra, home of the donkey Sanctuary and the Flamingo Lake.

We hired from Coton car and van hire, in Tamworth. MWB high top with AA 5* cover plus all the necessities (triangle, spare bulb set, fluorescents etc) all for less than 500 quid for the week. Of course we need to add on fuel and tolls to that, but I think it was the best deal we could find.

Only yesterday I read a post about a post ion the free beer section detailing a number to call for a one way hire...

:sneaky:Just make certain that it the van is FULLY INSURED for Spain, also search this forum for safety tips when traveling, ie getting stopped by bogus cops ( NEVER leave the key in ignition if getting out of the van when stopped, ..make sure someone is ( still ) in the front , if possible, when you do get out ):thumbsup: