Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

hire car insurance

hire car insurance

Old Jun 13th 2018, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

stephen1962 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question hire car insurance

can anyone advise me please, i regularly use Malagarcars.com which are great and im on maximum discount.
However i have been told by people to get the basic package and get a yearly european fully comprehensive insurance policy, which would give me full cover and work out cheaper.
Firstly does anyone do this.
What company?
Cost yearly ?
Has anyone had the policy and had to claim , what do these policy,s include ?
Do the car hire company,s accept this as well, only thing im guessing when you take out the extra cover with your hire car company you get breakdown to
Old Jun 13th 2018, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hire car insurance

Originally Posted by stephen1962
can anyone advise me please, i regularly use Malagarcars.com which are great and im on maximum discount.
However i have been told by people to get the basic package and get a yearly european fully comprehensive insurance policy, which would give me full cover and work out cheaper.
Firstly does anyone do this.
What company?
Cost yearly ?
Has anyone had the policy and had to claim , what do these policy,s include ?
Do the car hire company,s accept this as well, only thing im guessing when you take out the extra cover with your hire car company you get breakdown to
Insurance4carhire
Your basic car hire should include breakdown - and replacement, after all you are paying for a working vehicle😊
The annual insurance works out cheaper for multiple hires and can be used with many providers. It covers damage which the standard rental policies don't e.g. glass, keys, tyres, underbody etc.
Most rentcos don't like it and will try and tell you that it is useless and try and insist you take theirs. Stand your ground and walk away if they won't budge, not easy if your standing in a queue after a tiring flight.
You would need to get a receipt from the rental company but I4CH have a good record for settlement.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for your reply
Old Jun 13th 2018, 10:41 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I did this on my last hire and Record Go at Alicante were fine. I was asked to authorise a retention on my credit card in case of damage.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Hi
how much was your policy and what is the excess ?
thanks for reply
Old Jun 13th 2018, 9:26 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

£21.89, zero excess with AXA.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Cool, thanks do I just google axa European car insurance
Old Jun 14th 2018, 12:43 am
Started off with nothing

You might want to read Trip Advisor reviews?
Old Jun 14th 2018, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I have had an insurance4carhire policy for a number of years at £49.99 pa. I have made one claim in that time and it was dealt with in a matter of weeks without a problem. The downside of not using the car hirers insurance is firstly they take a credit card swipe of the excess amount that may be around 1000e and secondly when collecting and dropping off the car it has to be checked for any damage. One of the tricks of the hirers is to fast track those who buy their insurance as damage is not an issue.
For me the annual saving far outweighs those points. Having said that if queuing times became extended at my usual airport (Valencia) I may think again having once waited for well over an hour for a car at Alicante airport.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

For a single trip another tip is to use a broker and take their excess insurance. For example I have used Zest (used to be Economy Car Hire) to find a car. Their one-off insurance was around €35 and there was no hassle from the rentco at collection, and they only hypothecated €300 on my credit card. (Other deals are available 😁)
Old Jun 14th 2018, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing re annual excess policy in my experience is the hard sell that some hirers give you when picking up the car. The worst instance I had was with Record at Malaga airport. I explained I didn't need their extra insurance as I had my own separate cover and was happy for them to hold the excess on my card. The girl simply wouldn't accept what I said and kept pushing saying does it cover this that and the other. I must have been there at least 20 mins saying I didn't need it. She eventually lost the ability to speak English and threw me keys to what must have been the worst and scruffiest car I have hired. On the other hand different companies are no problem whatsoever when using your own excess policy. I never had to actually claim so I can't comment on that. I did once have damage which I thought I would need to claim for but on return the girl said it was minor and covered under standard hire insurance.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bobd22
One thing re annual excess policy in my experience is the hard sell that some hirers give you when picking up the car. The worst instance I had was with Record at Malaga airport. I explained I didn't need their extra insurance as I had my own separate cover and was happy for them to hold the excess on my card. The girl simply wouldn't accept what I said and kept pushing saying does it cover this that and the other. I must have been there at least 20 mins saying I didn't need it. She eventually lost the ability to speak English and threw me keys to what must have been the worst and scruffiest car I have hired. On the other hand different companies are no problem whatsoever when using your own excess policy. I never had to actually claim so I can't comment on that. I did once have damage which I thought I would need to claim for but on return the girl said it was minor and covered under standard hire insurance.
Another one I and many others have had a bad experience is Goldcar. They always seem to be at the forefront of new scams to fleece the customer. Beware their fuel policy and the latest trick is limited mileage- which is in the small print but not brought your attention until you are hit with a surcharge when you return.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Another one I and many others have had a bad experience is Goldcar. They always seem to be at the forefront of new scams to fleece the customer. Beware their fuel policy and the latest trick is limited mileage- which is in the small print but not brought your attention until you are hit with a surcharge when you return.

i) I usually book Goldcar via a broker (DYS). Recently booked direct with Goldcar as the price was around the same only to hit with an 8% surcharge, that I didn't spot until too late, that was for the privilege of them having their desk inside the terminal. I don't think they are bad value and I will not book with an offsite Company but I do wish that their(and others) pricing was more transparent.

ii) I recently made a claim (180e) against my annual insurance policy with Insurance4less. Could not fault them. They accepted and paid the claim within a day or so of me sending the details to them.