Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hips and resurfacing (medical)

Hips and resurfacing (medical)

Old May 24th 2007, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Up in the mountains outside Cocentaina..and loving it!
Cornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hips and resurfacing (medical)

Sorry poolounger, have started a new thread, as it seems to be a little off the original one!

Resurfacing is a form of hip replacement for younger (?) more active (?) people. It is a relatively new procedure (started about 15-20 years ago by a guy in Birmingham, McMinn), and one in which there aren't many surgeons trained in to do it, although the numbers are growing particularly in the UK!
As far as I am aware there are no surgeons in Spain who perform this surgery, which is why I have gone ahead and had my other hip resurfaced this year, so that I will be back to full fitness for my move to the sun.

There is loads on hip resurfacing on the net, just google it. For someone who suffers with arthritis, I am really looking forward to getting over there and living in a far less damp place than the UK.

For anyone interested, there is a UK yahoo group forum, Hipsrus () and also a global one on yahoo surfacehippies, although the majority of members on there are US based and a lot of discussion is regarding insurance issues().

Hope this helps you and possibly others too!
Sally
Old May 24th 2007, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Up in the mountains outside Cocentaina..and loving it!
Cornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hips and resurfacing (medical)

Originally Posted by Cornish maid
Sorry poolounger, have started a new thread, as it seems to be a little off the original one!

Resurfacing is a form of hip replacement for younger (?) more active (?) people.
There is loads on hip resurfacing on the net, just google it. For someone who suffers with arthritis, I am really looking forward to getting over there and living in a far less damp place than the UK.

For anyone interested, there is a UK yahoo group forum, Hipsrus () and also a global one on yahoo surfacehippies, although the majority of members on there are US based and a lot of discussion is regarding insurance issues().

Sally
For anyone interested here are the links:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/surfacehippy/
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/hipsrus/
Old May 24th 2007, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

pwblackbelt is on a distinguished road

Resurfacing is a form of hip replacement for younger (?) more active (?) people. It is a relatively new procedure (started about 15-20 years ago by a guy in Birmingham, McMinn), and one in which there aren't many surgeons trained in to do it, although the numbers are growing particularly in the UK!
As far as I am aware there are no surgeons in Spain who perform this surgery, which is why I have gone ahead and had my other hip resurfaced this year, so that I will be back to full fitness for my move to the sun.

Sally
I have had a hip resurfacing operation 18 months ago.I had the op on a Monday afternoon, I was out of the hospital on the Thursday and I was back in my gym on the Saturday morning teaching kickboxing.I was on crutches and I wasn't kicking but I was standing there running my classes.Now I can still train hard,go running and even grapple.I must say it is not as strong as when I was a young kid but it is still very strong compared to people who have had a full replacement.
By the way I had to have the resurfacing because of arthritis.
Old May 25th 2007, 8:21 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

This is strange Sally and I can't explain why but as I suffer from a touch of arthritis in my neck I was also looking forward to the dryer climate. However since I got here my neck has been worse!!!!
Yesterday for instance I went to play golf for the day and as the day went on I could feel my neck seizing up, and subsequently followed by the normal headache.

My doctor told me before we left that it might all be in my head, but I didn't think he meant that!!