Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hindsight is wonderful...

Hindsight is wonderful...

Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:22 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hindsight is wonderful...

Originally Posted by painterhombre
?
ok

1. Would have learnt more Spanish.
2. Would have got NIE number from Spanish embassy before coming over to live.
3. Would have paid a bit more in removal costs at brought all the furniture over we gave away to charity before we left.
4. Would have researched where we first lived better and moved to Valencia in the 1st place.
5. Would have (with NIE) bought a spanish plated car in the UK from someone who came back and was desperate to sell it.
6. Wouldnt have trusted the many english expats who make a living out of ripping off other British expats in spain.

oh thats more than 3 isnt it? Oh well, that my 2 cents worth.
That's a pretty good list especialy number 6, there's nobody worse than the Brits for ripping off other Brits!
I'd have moved to Madrid but I'd definatly have needed good Spanish language skills first.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Originally Posted by Madridboy
That's a pretty good list especialy number 6, there's nobody worse than the Brits for ripping off other Brits!
I'd have moved to Madrid but I'd definatly have needed good Spanish language skills first.
si claro!

Amanda and I have come to the conclusion that its best to struggle with the language and do business with the Spanish than the many english who seem to make a living out of ripping off their countrymen. Just goes to show what an awful place the UK is to have addled their brains in such a way.

Bloody immigrants!
Old Apr 1st 2010, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Amanda and I have come to the conclusion that its best to struggle with the language and do business with the Spanish than the many english who seem to make a living out of ripping off their countrymen.:
I find it incredibly naive, but not surprising, that you can believe that one nationality, the British, are rip off merchants, and that another nationality, the Spanish, can all be incredibly honest. Methinks you could be heading for a fall. Lets hope you never come across any of the estafadores, timadores, of which there are many. Gullible, naive Brit expats are an easy target for the streetwise Spanish.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 11:34 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
I find it incredibly naive, but not surprising, that you can believe that one nationality, the British, are rip off merchants, and that another nationality, the Spanish, can all be incredibly honest. Methinks you could be heading for a fall. Lets hope you never come across any of the estafadores, timadores, of which there are many. Gullible, naive Brit expats are an easy target for the streetwise Spanish.
I don't think for one second that painterhombre was implying anything of the kind, merely pointing out that unfortunatly when we Expats are in another country we take comfort in seeking out other Expats who we are all too ready and easily prepared to trust because they are "one of us" and unfortunatly there are many who will take advantage of this fact and use this opportunity to charge that little bit more or just blatnetly ripp off other Expats.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

i completely agree.

the person is talking out of their a*** bascially and yet another brit who is looking for an argument on this forum which is why i simply wont reply, its not worth the effort typiing and fools like that person is why i regrettably dont come on here too often, far too many people with a chip on their shoulder, a grudge or just someone who loves the uk so much, you wonder why they are on a Spain forum? I am sure the sunday sport or the BNP have a forum they would be welcome on and i'm not sure why they come on here.

Yes, espcially when we 1st arrived, we did seek the comfort of other brits but we soon wised up to the fact that in most cases, they only wanted us when we were giving them money for goods or services!!!!
Old Apr 1st 2010, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think for one second that painterhombre was implying anything of the kind,
Read it as you wish, for me "the many english who seem to make a living out of ripping off their countrymen" is a pretty damning statement.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Read it as you wish, for me "the many english who seem to make a living out of ripping off their countrymen" is a pretty damning statement.
correct!
Old Apr 1st 2010, 12:00 pm
Yaaarp

correct!
By jove I think he's got it
Old Apr 1st 2010, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
I didn't learn Spanish before coming over ... although it's hard to pinpoint the moment when you become fluent).
I reckon there are two big indicators:
- when a motorist cuts you up and you automatically swear at them in spanish, and
- when you can tell a funny story (not just a one-liner) and the people who laugh aren't just being polite.
I agree, that a lot of the time I spent in evening classes in England, trying to learn spanish was a waste of time. Apart from the "advanced" class I took after year #1 starting right back with "uno, dos tres ..." because some beginners had signed up for it. I also found that I wasn't learning the language, I was only learning the course. It turned out that all the spanish people I meet all went on a different course so while I could converse (in spanish) with the other brits in my evening classes I didn't stand a chance in Spain.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 12:38 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete_l
I reckon there are two big indicators:
- when a motorist cuts you up and you automatically swear at them in spanish, and
- when you can tell a funny story (not just a one-liner) and the people who laugh aren't just being polite.
I agree, that a lot of the time I spent in evening classes in England, trying to learn spanish was a waste of time. Apart from the "advanced" class I took after year #1 starting right back with "uno, dos tres ..." because some beginners had signed up for it. I also found that I wasn't learning the language, I was only learning the course. It turned out that all the spanish people I meet all went on a different course so while I could converse (in spanish) with the other brits in my evening classes I didn't stand a chance in Spain.
And evening classes do not teach Alpujarreño anyway.....
Old Apr 1st 2010, 12:47 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Fluency is when 3 or 4 (at least) spaniards are speaking at the same time and you can join in the conversation.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 1:09 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Fluency is when 3 or 4 (at least) spaniards are speaking at the same time and you can join in the conversation.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by scampicat
And evening classes do not teach Alpujarreño anyway.....
I was listening to Rosa (she won Operación Triunfo, or something like that!), she's from just outside Granada, and when she is talking to her friend, it's not the easiest to understand!
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/?page=2#732768
Old Apr 1st 2010, 1:26 pm
Yaaarp

Originally Posted by jackytoo
This is my nighmare, everytime my friends and I get together they all start speaking quicker and quicker and all at the same time, coupled with my hearing problems I just give up and drift off into my own world.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

This is my nighmare, everytime my friends and I get together they all start speaking quicker and quicker and all at the same time, coupled with my hearing problems I just give up and drift off into my own world.
I dont think one of my ears is brill either and it can make a big difference at times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.