Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hills prescribtion Dog food available in Spain?

Hills prescribtion Dog food available in Spain?

Old Apr 1st 2008, 3:07 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hills prescribtion Dog food available in Spain?

I know it's a bit of an odd one but is the Hills I/D tined dog food available in Spain or will I have to import my own?

I'm somewhat worried as I have a elderly Staffy that was diagnosed with Chronic Pancreatitus six months ago (wasn't expected to live a few weeks) and the only thing stopping further attacks seems to be this food according to the Vets.

We have tried most of all the other prescription dog foods but they all make her condition flare up again, so it's somewhat important that we can lay our hands on it over there!

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by zel; Apr 1st 2008 at 3:10 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 3:45 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hills prescribtion Dog food available in Spain?

Hmmmm. Bear in mind that I am NOT a vet.

Inflamed pancreas, insulin levels? I'd try a diet that had NO REFINED CARBS WHATSOEVER in it.

Our Labs get an evening meal that consists of a pile of coarsly chopped raw cabbage (those red round ones) with the oil from the sardines drizzled over it and a tinned sardine each.

This enables us to keep them slim while still giving treats in the day. Most dogfood has a lot of carbs in it and refined carbs are bad for people, fish and dogs. I've seen a lot of overweight people and animals that would have been hugely improved with no refined carbs in their diets.

In your position I try that, after all, if it works, it's a B sight cheaper than prescription dogfoods.

On the pack of dried dogfood we use (they get a small handful a day but we are phasing it out) they daren't print the carb content. By deducting what they do print, I reckon it's about 60% If that is, as suggested by the blurb, mostly wheat flour, then those little lumps of dogfood are basically breadsticks with a tiny amount of added meat.

I've seen in koi a lot of cases of fatty liver. It's a growing problem in people too, and it looks very much as tho the cause is refined carbs.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
I know it's a bit of an odd one but is the Hills I/D tined dog food available in Spain or will I have to import my own?

I'm somewhat worried as I have a elderly Staffy that was diagnosed with Chronic Pancreatitus six months ago (wasn't expected to live a few weeks) and the only thing stopping further attacks seems to be this food according to the Vets.

We have tried most of all the other prescription dog foods but they all make her condition flare up again, so it's somewhat important that we can lay our hands on it over there!

Looks like these people may deliver..might be worth a phone call ?

http://www.viovet.co.uk/i2/Delivery_...formation.html
Old Apr 1st 2008, 3:47 pm

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zel

I get it from my vets in Spain, but it isnt available in the pet shops.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 3:55 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel

Yep you can from vets.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:17 pm
zel

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Yep you can from vets.
Thanks to both of you for that confirmation have you got any idea how much it is over there for 12x Tins of I/D ?
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:20 pm
zel

Originally Posted by Bigbhudda69
Looks like these people may deliver..might be worth a phone call ?

http://www.viovet.co.uk/i2/Delivery_...formation.html
Thanks for that, I order it from a place that's doing it for £13 a tray and free UK delivery and as I go through 4 trays a month with it every saving counts!

Unfortuntely they don't delivery to europe but if i can't find it wherever i decide to settle in Spain I shall be ordering from them! thanks and Karma given to everyone!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:27 pm
zel

Thanks Bil,

Unfortunately I have the worlds pickiest dog when it comes to eating habbits and it's always been a complete nightmare keeping her on a diet that is healthy!

She's always flatly refused 'dog food' in favor of boiled or roast chicken and as you're obviously aware boiled chicken is probably one of the most bland diets you can give someone and she still developed the condition and was still very unwell on the diet.

We've tried literally all the alternative prescription diets for the condition and she either hated them or it inflamed the condition resulting in hospitalization again.

After £8000 quids worth of vets fees in the past year (couple of other things happened apart from the condition) I'm incredibly scared of moving from anything that has proved to work as she's been as good as gold since being on it.

It's awful seeing her go through a bad patch so I'd rather her have a more expensive diet than I do

Originally Posted by bil
Hmmmm. Bear in mind that I am NOT a vet.

Inflamed pancreas, insulin levels? I'd try a diet that had NO REFINED CARBS WHATSOEVER in it.

Our Labs get an evening meal that consists of a pile of coarsly chopped raw cabbage (those red round ones) with the oil from the sardines drizzled over it and a tinned sardine each.

This enables us to keep them slim while still giving treats in the day. Most dogfood has a lot of carbs in it and refined carbs are bad for people, fish and dogs. I've seen a lot of overweight people and animals that would have been hugely improved with no refined carbs in their diets.

In your position I try that, after all, if it works, it's a B sight cheaper than prescription dogfoods.

On the pack of dried dogfood we use (they get a small handful a day but we are phasing it out) they daren't print the carb content. By deducting what they do print, I reckon it's about 60% If that is, as suggested by the blurb, mostly wheat flour, then those little lumps of dogfood are basically breadsticks with a tiny amount of added meat.

I've seen in koi a lot of cases of fatty liver. It's a growing problem in people too, and it looks very much as tho the cause is refined carbs.

Last edited by zel; Apr 1st 2008 at 4:31 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:35 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
Thanks to both of you for that confirmation have you got any idea how much it is over there for 12x Tins of I/D ?
Nope, sorry. We have a cat with kidney problems and we see the dog tins lined up alongside the cat tins, that is how we know they are available.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ragomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
Thanks Bil,

Unfortunately I have the worlds pickiest dog when it comes to eating habbits and it's always been a complete nightmare keeping her on a diet that is healthy!

She's always flatly refused 'dog food' in favor of boiled or roast chicken and as you're obviously aware boiled chicken is probably one of the most bland diets you can give someone and she still developed the condition and was still very unwell on the diet.

We've tried literally all the alternative prescription diets for the condition and she either hated them or it inflamed the condition resulting in hospitalization again.

After £8000 quids worth of vets fees in the past year (couple of other things happened apart from the condition) I'm incredibly scared of moving from anything that has proved to work as she's been as good as gold since being on it.

Not to mention it's bloody awful seeing her go through a bad patch!

Hi Zel,

I take it that is eating habits and not eating rabbits.

You have my utmost sympathy, our last Lhasa Apso (in the avatar) was riddled with cancer in his last few months and would only eat cat food in the end. He was 16 though so we and the vet decided to just let him have whatever he wanted.

Our new one, another Lhasa, will only eat Burns holistic dog food and only certain flavours at that. It's hard enough and expensive enough to get here so Christ knows what it would be like in Spain. Bless him!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:50 pm
zel

Originally Posted by Ragomuffin
Hi Zel,

I take it that is eating habits and not eating rabbits.

You have my utmost sympathy, our last Lhasa Apso (in the avatar) was riddled with cancer in his last few months and would only eat cat food in the end. He was 16 though so we and the vet decided to just let him have whatever he wanted.

Our new one, another Lhasa, will only eat Burns holistic dog food and only certain flavours at that. It's hard enough and expensive enough to get here so Christ knows what it would be like in Spain. Bless him!
Hehe or perhaps wabbits?

Yeah it's tough when they get older but as I said to the vet when my dog was constantly having the attacks (weekly) if it continues much longer I think it would be time as it's an incredibly painful condition to have according to a friend of mine that has it.

But touch wood since this new diet we've only been back to the vets to have her thyroid levels sorted!

Thank god I was brainwashed (by the telephone sales person) to put her on the top end of their insurance (limitless) otherwise i'd have to be selling body parts to cover the cost! Still having to cover 20% of the bill but that's an awful lot better than 100% and she's still coming upto 14 so might have a good few years in her yet! (touches every bit of wood)

If the Lhasa Apso are anything like the Shih Tzus for personality I can see why you got another, my other half had a Shih Tzu when we first got together and it had an amazing personality, bossy but amazing!

and SNORE crikey!! but you get used to it after awhile!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ragomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
and SNORE crikey!! but you get used to it after awhile!
The OH or the Shih Tzu.

They are very similar as breeds. Bossy, fearless and playful. And oh yes, he can snore!

I hope things pan out OK for you and your Staffy.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel

Hello Zel
i am late into this thread but, as they have said, yes, you can buy Hills, any kind of food of this brand, in vet. Also you can get it in El Corte Ingles, and they can delivery. My dogs always eat Hills.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:13 pm
zel

Originally Posted by marisol
Hello Zel
i am late into this thread but, as they have said, yes, you can buy Hills, any kind of food of this brand, in vet. Also you can get it in El Corte Ingles, and they can delivery. My dogs always eat Hills.
Brilliant thanks!!! If anyone has a rough price of what i'm expected to be spending that would be greatly appreciated! thanks once again everyone K+
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:20 pm

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zel
I pay €2.65 at tin at the vets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.