Reload this Page >

Hi, some advice required on moving to Sevilla

Hi, some advice required on moving to Sevilla

Old Apr 18th 2011, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

NikBar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi, some advice required on moving to Sevilla

Hi,

We are a couple in our 30's looking to move to Seville in the next 18 months and would like some advice if possible.
Both of us are thinking of doing a TEFL course to teach English so we can up sticks and move over for a nicer way of life.
We are basically at the start of this whole process and are just a little bit unsure about some things.
As far as we can see the main things we need to sort out are - learning Spanish (in hand as we are taking lessons), taking the TEFL course, actually acquiring a teaching post, sorting accommodation and also the NIE.
Now I know this is a pretty vague post but are there any things we need to consider apart from the obvious?

This is just a general question to find out what other things are likely to stand in our way but we are both keen to move out there next year and any advice/help and tips would be really appreciated.

Barry & Nikki.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 4:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi, some advice required on moving to Sevilla

Type TEFL in Spain in the search this forum box, there have been loads of posts on it in various threads, most against being able to make a living with it.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

NikBar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Type TEFL in Spain in the search this forum box, there have been loads of posts on it in various threads, most against being able to make a living with it.

Thanks for the reply.
I have had a look and there is not a load of recent stuff on this subject....Also the CELTA seems to be more highly regarded, which was actually the one we were hoping to do.
I know things aren't going to be easy but having looked at various language schools websites there seems to be a number of jobs on offer - does anyone here live or work in Seville who could give me some advice?
Old Apr 18th 2011, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NikBar
Hi,

We are a couple in our 30's looking to move to Seville in the next 18 months and would like some advice if possible.
Both of us are thinking of doing a TEFL course to teach English so we can up sticks and move over for a nicer way of life.
We are basically at the start of this whole process and are just a little bit unsure about some things.
As far as we can see the main things we need to sort out are - learning Spanish (in hand as we are taking lessons), taking the TEFL course, actually acquiring a teaching post, sorting accommodation and also the NIE.
Now I know this is a pretty vague post but are there any things we need to consider apart from the obvious?

This is just a general question to find out what other things are likely to stand in our way but we are both keen to move out there next year and any advice/help and tips would be really appreciated.

Barry & Nikki.
Depends what's obvious to you. The seguridad social payment came as a real shock to me. If you both go Autonomo, it's likely to cost you the thick end of 500 euroquid a month just to pay your equivalent to National insurance. If you can get salaried work you'll be much better off.
Old May 27th 2011, 10:21 am
Just Joined

HannahQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!
I live here in Seville and I took the TEFL course in Blue School, Triana. I am now working and I find that there is work, but the best time to look for work is now to start in September. If I can help at all or if you have any questions let me know! Ha when I finished my TEFL they gave me a 10% discount card for the course for anyone I knew who wanted to take it so its yours if you like!!
Old May 27th 2011, 10:59 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi NikBar and HannahQ as Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old May 27th 2011, 2:59 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Some useful stuff in here:

http://www.expatriatecafe.com/forums/

By all accounts (with the possible exception of Malaga), the English teaching market has been fairly resilient in the major Spanish cities. Madrid as always is the best place to get this type of work, but there are possibilities elsewhere in spain. Try looking on Twitter, or perhaps on this site:

http://www.madridteacher.com/jobs-in-spain.htm

I know things aren't going to be easy but having looked at various language schools websites there seems to be a number of jobs on offer - does anyone here live or work in Seville who could give me some advice?
I've never been to Seville, but the following should help you (it did when I did teaching work in Madrid). Do your course (and make sure it's a decent course of at least a month that includes various hours teaching experience). Better still get some experience teaching in the UK - there are often cheapo language schools (unfortunately the pay is below that of Spain) where you can at least get something to put on your cv prior to coming out. The more experience you have on your cv the better, and then those language schools in Spain will be more likely to look at you. A nice positive friendly attitude pays dividends too.
Someone mentioned going 'autonomo'. I don't think this is ideal for someone starting out in this field. It's more for someone with 2 or 3 years experience who then starts doing business and private classes- often business clients will only take you on if you are registered as autonomo. At this point the 25-35 per hour (typical Madrid figure) compensates for the high monthly autonomo fee of 260 or 270.

I basically agree with andyi on his average teaching rates for 2008

So in July 2005:
Autónomo
Through an agency: 18-20€ per hour
Direct contract: 25-35€ per hour (in company)
private students: 18-20€ per hour

In 2008: (IMO/IME)
Autónomo
Through an agency: 24-27€ per hour
Direct contract: 35-50€ per hour (in company)
private students: 20-30€ per hour
teaching rates thread

Of course, as you will no doubt gather, the figures will be lower for Seville, but then so should the cost of living.
Old May 27th 2011, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

We live near to Sevilla, if there is anything we can help you with please PM me.
Caz