British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Hi my name is Pat (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/hi-my-name-pat-877982/)

Pat2756 May 25th 2016 4:22 pm

Hi my name is Pat

We are planning to buy a home in Playa Flamenca, La Zena, La Florida or Villa Martin within the next 3 months. At the start it will be a holiday home, then a place to retire to in about 18 months time. We want to be in a place that has a good mix of Spanish and expjats. Where the restaurants offer a variety of food not just catering to the British. My husband can talk a bit of Spanish but not me. Would like to be able
to join clubs. We have about £80,000 to spend on a 2 or 3 bed property. Any advice would be welcome.

dmu May 25th 2016 4:29 pm

Re: Hi my name is Pat

Originally Posted by Pat2756 (Post 11956085)
We are planning to buy a home in Playa Flamenca, La Zena, La Florida or Villa Martin within the next 3 months. At the start it will be a holiday home, then a place to retire to in about 18 months time. We want to be in a place that has a good mix of Spanish and expats. Where the restaurants offer a variety of food not just catering to the British. My husband can talk a bit of Spanish but not me. Would like to be able
to join clubs. We have about £80,000 to spend on a 2 or 3 bed property. Any advice would be welcome.

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
This section is for introductions only, and you'd do well to post again in the dedicated Spain forum where there are plenty of folk who can advise! :)

Rosemary May 25th 2016 5:09 pm

We are planning to buy a home in Playa Flamenca, La Zena, La Florida or Villa Martin within the next 3 months. At the start it will be a holiday home, then a place to retire to in about 18 months time. We want to be in a place that has a good mix of Spanish and expjats. Where the restaurants offer a variety of food not just catering to the British. My husband can talk a bit of Spanish but not me. Would like to be able

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

tony May 25th 2016 7:29 pm

Hi Pat

Welcome , dont know too muck about the areas you are looking at except , some times we go shopping in La zenia boulevard , great shopping centre !

Any way good luck hope you find a nice house !!

Tony

tebo53 May 26th 2016 7:58 am

Hi,
I have often been to stay with family who live on Villa Martin. I don't particularly like the area. The properties are built very close together on sprawling estates. My sister's house has devalued considerably over the past few years. You may get a nice place there for your money but please look at the wider picture. Also consider the crime rate in that area. Not an area where I would buy. :(

Steve

tcgreen May 26th 2016 3:13 pm

I've been to Villamartin a few times and the town seems pretty nice. For £80,000 you should be able to find a very nice house there. If you're willing to come more inland you can find some bargains in small towns for around £40,000-£50,000. Even less if you're willing to put some work into renovating a property. Be sure to consult multiple estate agencies when viewing areas as some are going a little overboard at the moment with their commissions. I(snip) know of multiple houses where the Spanish owner wants very little for the property and the English language estate agencies have added a 30+% commission.

Rosemary May 26th 2016 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by tcgreen (Post 11956881)
I've been to Villamartin a few times and the town seems pretty nice. For £80,000 you should be able to find a very nice house there. If you're willing to come more inland you can find some bargains in small towns for around £40,000-£50,000. Even less if you're willing to put some work into renovating a property. Be sure to consult multiple estate agencies when viewing areas as some are going a little overboard at the moment with their commissions. I(snip) know of multiple houses where the Spanish owner wants very little for the property and the English language estate agencies have added a 30+% commission.

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

mikelincs May 26th 2016 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by tebo53 (Post 11956574)
Hi,
I have often been to stay with family who live on Villa Martin. I don't particularly like the area. The properties are built very close together on sprawling estates. My sister's house has devalued considerably over the past few years. You may get a nice place there for your money but please look at the wider picture. Also consider the crime rate in that area. Not an area where I would buy. :(

Steve

I agree with your comments, I wouldn't want to buy anywhere in Villamartin, we did live there for a few months, and it was a terrible place, concrete jungle with nothing to make anyone want to live there, which is why prices are cheap. A car ius essential as there are no decent supermarkets there and the 'shopping centre' is really a collection of cafes and bars with the odd little shop. Playa Flamenca and La Zenia are much better with supermarkets and shopping centres.

jonboy May 26th 2016 7:30 pm

Pat2756, it has been said before do not buy but rent first. See if you will really like it. Why commit £80k when you may have regrets later?

mikelincs May 26th 2016 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by jonboy (Post 11957082)
Pat2756, it has been said before do not buy but rent first. See if you will really like it. Why commit £80k when you may have regrets later?

Yes, I totally agree. rent and have a really good luck round first