Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hi everyone - holiday home - Costa Blanca north

Hi everyone - holiday home - Costa Blanca north

Old Oct 31st 2014, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi everyone - holiday home - Costa Blanca north

Originally Posted by Horlics
On the subject of mobile homes....

- a friend of mine has one in the UK, it's huge by mobile home standards but I couldn't live in it, there's no room for all my stuff

- my friend's luxury mobile home is luxurious by mobile home standards but is not in the same league as a good quality apartment. Throw all the cash you like at a mobile home and it still won't come close to a well specced apartment
Not true, You're thinking of the classic looking mobile home. Mobile can mean anything. One example here, but there are plenty of other options.

Casas modulares prefabricadas Cube

Even a well made container home will have a better energy rating than most apartments you see in Spain.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Oh right, mobile can mean anything. Even prefab.

Be careful, you know what can happen when people start redefining well known words to mean different things....

That "mobile" home is about as mobile as the in-the-ground pool in front of it.

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Not true, You're thinking of the classic looking mobile home. Mobile can mean anything. One example here, but there are plenty of other options.

Casas modulares prefabricadas Cube

Even a well made container home will have a better energy rating than most apartments you see in Spain.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

If you can afford it, why not, eh?
Precisely.

Also people spend and lose far more buying expensive cars in there life time than they are likely to lose on a property.

Last edited by johnnyone; Nov 1st 2014 at 12:43 am.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh right, mobile can mean anything. Even prefab.

Be careful, you know what can happen when people start redefining well known words to mean different things....

THE DICTATOR - HIV Aladeen - YouTube

That "mobile" home is about as mobile as the in-the-ground pool in front of it.
As long as it can be removed by a crane and put on a trailer it's mobile in my opinion.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

I aladeen with you.

Whether the manufacturer aladeens or not is open to question. They choose to call them prefabricated modular homes, not mobile ones. Maybe because lifting a 150 sq. metre modular building and putting on the back of a trailer (in all likelihood... trailers) might take a bit of time.

As long as it can be removed by a crane and put on a trailer it's mobile in my opinion.

Last edited by Horlics; Nov 1st 2014 at 2:29 am.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Barwick is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps gone of the op a bit !
Had a look further south nearer Murcia but a bit inland and wow double my moneys worth !
Opinions please
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

We have been living here permanently for two years now after we retired. we were three years in the planning, visiting lots of towns and villages in the whole of the Costa Blanca and part way into Murcia, both on the coast and inland.

Initially we, like you realised that you got more house for your money in CBS and Murcia than in CBN. However the area we settled in was not strictly about the property itself, but about the infrastructure for day to day living.

We kept our place in UK, in the hands of a letting agent, and rented a place here for the first year. This gave us plenty of time to make sure that Spain was right for us in all the seasons, and also that the area we had chosen suited us.

We eventually took the view that we did not want to move again when we were too old to drive and so needed somewhere with adequate public transport. We also wanted an area where we could walk to all the local amenities, shops, supermarkets, bars, restaurants and also the heath centre.

It is all well and good looking at an idyllic place in the country that has a lot of land, you can buy them quite cheaply, but they take a lot of upkeep. In your retirement you do not need to work every day just to keep the place tidy. Also it can be quite lonely living in the campo.

You need to think about this long term, that is for when you retire permanently and want to live in Spain full time, if that is what you want.

We live in a bungalow in the suburbs of Torrevieja, a place we would not have touched with a barge pole when we first started planning because we had heard that it had a bad reputation for crime. However, it is in the main a very pleasant, mainly Spanish, town with theatres, museums and a wonderful sea front. We are very happy here.

Keep looking and please do not buy in a hurry, it is so difficult to sell at the moment. Most folks will tell you to rent for a while, if not forever.

Good luck!
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Yep. When we were looking we met many who were not looking forward to trying to sell in the campo when the time comes to move to somewhere with all the amenities on the doorstep.

We were also trying to work out how to have the large villa yet keep it secure for the years between buying it and making it a permanent home, it's a temporary one at present.

In the end we dropped the villa idea and bought an apartment close to the coast surrounded by all the local amenities we need.

Having moved into the apartment we've met neighbours who own a villa a little inland but rent it out so that they can rent an apartment close to life and everything they need.

That's our experience. Good luck with yours.

Originally Posted by stevesainty
It is all well and good looking at an idyllic place in the country that has a lot of land, you can buy them quite cheaply, but they take a lot of upkeep. In your retirement you do not need to work every day just to keep the place tidy. Also it can be quite lonely living in the campo.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 4:53 am
Just Joined

The last two posts were really good , totally blown my mind of course . Its such a hard decision .
I am thinking that ....... In our opinion :- we have to buy something in the current market conditions as there cheap !, There will be bargains out there so if we have to sell, then we can .. cos we got it at a good price .
The area around Murcia has totally changed the way I'm thinking and its going to cost me several weeks off work on house searching holidays , I cant predict if a villa inland is best or a town house , I'm lost .
But in a nice way its slowed me down all the opinions I'm getting , Its gonna take a while and that's for the best .
thanks again
john
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Barwick
The last two posts were really good , totally blown my mind of course . Its such a hard decision .
I am thinking that ....... In our opinion :- we have to buy something in the current market conditions as there cheap !, There will be bargains out there so if we have to sell, then we can .. cos we got it at a good price .
The area around Murcia has totally changed the way I'm thinking and its going to cost me several weeks off work on house searching holidays , I cant predict if a villa inland is best or a town house , I'm lost .
But in a nice way its slowed me down all the opinions I'm getting , Its gonna take a while and that's for the best .
thanks again
john
You just have to go with your feeling and don't listen to others too much. We always considered buying further south, but then searching for properties online we ended up buying in Girona, because we got more for our money and climate was also a point. I'm in my 30's, so retirement is very far away, but you still think about it.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 5:48 am
Just Joined

Last edited by Barwick; Nov 2nd 2014 at 6:16 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Barwick
So " young people " buy holiday homes abroad to !
Probably more than ever. With prices so low and banks not offering anything to savers, you might as well. Never thought that we could afford it, but now really is a good time. We bought from a private Spanish seller who just wanted a quick sale due to job loss.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Probably more than ever. With prices so low and banks not offering anything to savers, you might as well. Never thought that we could afford it, but now really is a good time. We bought from a private Spanish seller who just wanted a quick sale due to job loss.
The advantage of doing things in your thirties is that if it goes wrong you have time on your side to fix things.

The older you get the more sure you need to be.

The OP is only in his forties he's already declared it's not an investment. So why not. I just hope him and his family don't grow tired of the place once they've bought it. The kids may not want to holiday there once they've discovered club 18/30 with their mates
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

shazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond repute

we looked out in the sticks as love the peace and quite but the same as you lot its to far away when i get older so got the best of both worlds got a villa just outside torrevieja quite but only 10 mins fron town just on the egde of a lake in san miguel didnt want any houses near but i have now and love it