Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hi everyone - holiday home - Costa Blanca north

Hi everyone - holiday home - Costa Blanca north

Old Oct 30th 2014, 5:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi everyone - holiday home - Costa Blanca north

Originally Posted by VFR
The OP also asked about "investment" so Stu's advice is sound.
He didn't mention UK at all and we're in the Spain section. Why by in the UK now when prices are far too high. As an investor you never buy when people advise you, because then prices are already rising or are too high. If we're talking about investment you might as well invest in forest land or food production. We never rented in the area we bought and rather than buying a flat or house decided to get a plot of land. We're now flexible and can use the land the way we like. For now and the next years it's just a holiday home, so don't need a huge property. You can buy container homes or cubes for cheap money in Spain these days and should we go there permanently, we can still add more cubes or just sell the cube and go for another option. A lot of people aren't bothered about investments and just want to enjoy their life. Some buy a car, some buy a boat, so that's fine.

Last edited by Moses2013; Oct 30th 2014 at 5:26 am.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
As an investor you never buy when people advise you, because then prices are already rising or are too high.
So when do you buy? When someone advises you not to?
Old Oct 30th 2014, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

shazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond repute

when you feel the time is right, only you can decide that and to me if you think you got a bargin then your have,then its all win win i bought a apartment 10years ago we are now selling it as bought a villa .We have lost 30,000e on the apartment which was a bit of a blow, but on the other hand got a villa 200.00 cheaper than it was sold for 6 years ago so swings and roundabouts if you always wait for the right time you will never buy ,take a deep breath jump in and have some fun your a long time looking at your lid ,sorry i got a stupid sense of humour
Old Oct 30th 2014, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
So when do you buy? When someone advises you not to?
As shazzabob mentioned, only you can decide. We bought our main home in Ireland 3 years ago, but according to other people we shouldn't have bought because the country was in ruins and prices would only drop further. Fact is that we wanted a home, we could afford it and got mortgage interest relief for 7 years. We renovated and now we could sell making a 60-80K profit, however we're not interested. There are always so many clever people who know better, but if you really want to make money, you set the trend and don't follow the trend. If the OP wants a holiday home and can afford it why not?
Old Oct 30th 2014, 10:01 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barwick
Hi everyone and thanks for taking the time to read and post .
It seems that I should clarify on my op , I stated it was an investment - ok we are looking at buying a holiday home - a 2nd home - somewhere to go on holiday many times . Yes in my eyes we are investing our hard earned but we aren't looking to make a profit
now or in the foreseeable future . Sorry if I've misled anyone and please keep giving your opinions and advice .
regards jon
Let me give the view from someone who has bought in CB North, rented it in the CB North, lived there for 7 years, and then sold and left

If you are going to buy in one of the expat enclaves then you really need to buy something special if you intend one day to sell it. Otherwise theres a good chance you will be stuck with it forever

When we bought we had a number of things in mind. It had to have a pool. It had to have a good view, and it had to have three bedrooms and a good balcony to see the view from. That was in 2004. When we moved to Spain we noticed houses locally for sale. When we left 9 years later (we rented it out for 2 years) those same houses were still for sale. Why? Because they were either boxes with no real appeal, over priced, or in the middle of a packed urb with no views other than your neighbours villa.

When we put ours up for sale we were working on the basis of what people said, that it would take years to sell it. In fact it sold in a few months easily.

It very much depends on what you want personally. I'm sure Alfaz is a wonderful place, but having been there I'm guessing that if you buy there you will be buying for life ..... theres a lot of property there, a lot of it for sale. It would need to be something special to sell, should the need arise (and you never know what's around the corner).

If you move out a bit, only less than 6 kms from the coast then you have great views and a bit more peace if you want it. You also have just a 10 minute drive to the beach, if thats important to you. Lots of nice small villages, and beautiful countryside. Its a lovely coastal area North of Benidorm.

I would NEVER buy a property on one of the cramped areas along the coast for that reason. You cannot put a price on sitting on your balcony with fantastic views with a Gin & Tonic watching the sun go down.

Widen your horizon on the CB .... Go further North
Old Oct 30th 2014, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Let me give the view from someone who has bought in CB North, rented it in the CB North, lived there for 7 years, and then sold and left

If you are going to buy in one of the expat enclaves then you really need to buy something special if you intend one day to sell it. Otherwise theres a good chance you will be stuck with it forever

When we bought we had a number of things in mind. It had to have a pool. It had to have a good view, and it had to have three bedrooms and a good balcony to see the view from. That was in 2004. When we moved to Spain we noticed houses locally for sale. When we left 9 years later (we rented it out for 2 years) those same houses were still for sale. Why? Because they were either boxes with no real appeal, over priced, or in the middle of a packed urb with no views other than your neighbours villa.

When we put ours up for sale we were working on the basis of what people said, that it would take years to sell it. In fact it sold in a few months easily.

It very much depends on what you want personally. I'm sure Alfaz is a wonderful place, but having been there I'm guessing that if you buy there you will be buying for life ..... theres a lot of property there, a lot of it for sale. It would need to be something special to sell, should the need arise (and you never know what's around the corner).

If you move out a bit, only less than 6 kms from the coast then you have great views and a bit more peace if you want it. You also have just a 10 minute drive to the beach, if thats important to you. Lots of nice small villages, and beautiful countryside. Its a lovely coastal area North of Benidorm.

I would NEVER buy a property on one of the cramped areas along the coast for that reason. You cannot put a price on sitting on your balcony with fantastic views with a Gin & Tonic watching the sun go down.

Widen your horizon on the CB .... Go further North
It's all personal taste. Personally I would never go to that area and also would never buy an apartment, but there are enough people doing it. Luckily for us most Brits don't consider the Costa Brava or want to be next to the coast, so we could afford a decent plot of land and have a detached property. We're still only 8 mins drive away, but thanks to the low demand and lack of Brits in the area we have what we want.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 12:37 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

It's all personal taste. Personally I would never go to that area and also would never buy an apartment, but there are enough people doing it. Luckily for us most Brits don't consider the Costa Brava or want to be next to the coast, so we could afford a decent plot of land and have a detached property. We're still only 8 mins drive away, but thanks to the low demand and lack of Brits in the area we have what we want.
Yes ... there are. And they struggle to sell their properties ;-)

Actually there are areas all the way up the coast from Benidorm with a lack of expats .... you just need to find them. Five minutes from where I lived was the town of Potries. We used to go to the square there for morning coffee. never came across anyone that was non Spanish there, although I'm sure they were lurking around somewhere :-)
Old Oct 31st 2014, 12:57 am
Just Joined

Barwick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi .
The last few post were great , thanks.
Were not after profit , just a home - we holiday there , the kids and a few friends can use it to keep it occupied . I've been watching a few houses we like for months now , and one which was inland a few miles that especially got my attention was for sale through the owner and not an agent , it had great pictures , a fantastic write up and a generally good effort of trying to sell his home . I had just sent an e-mail/enquiry and guess what its just sold. It was a little different , had a bit of land , a pool and great views - not silly money and I still bet they took less . But anyway all the other town houses are still for sale !
I was still apprehensive about buying a property in the country esp regarding security but I don't think I can ever be happy because it is what it is. Good locks , bars and poss cameras is all you can do I suppose .
So I'm turning again to a more secluded villa , were still looking and another one has popped up so I'm keeping an eye on it and will grow a pair and make the enquiry soon .
It defiantly helps getting opinions even the doom and gloom ones.
Thanks again
john
Old Oct 31st 2014, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Barwick,

Something you need to think about is what you're going to do with the place when you're not there.
There are 52 weeks in every year and you sound like you're only going to be there for maybe 6 of them in any year.

If you have your own pool who is going to look after it? The last thing you want is to turn up for a couple of weeks holiday only to spend the first week turning a frog pond into something vaguely swimmable.

Who pays the bills on the place whilst it's empty? Still got community charges, leccy bills, land taxes to pay.

If you buy out in the campo then you'll likely spend your first week brush-cutting the land and trying to save your trees.

If I had a house sat empty for most of the year I know I'd be worried about it. It's only a couple of hours flight time but in reality it's the best part of 10 hours travel time.
You can get cameras as security and you can monitor them over the Internet, but for that to work you will need an ADSL connection and a monthly bill to go with it.

Winter weather can sometimes be unpredictable. Over the last few years there have been major rain storms all down the east and south coasts. I remember the streets of Almunecar being virtually under water with underground garages completely flooded and cars swept out to sea.

Thing is, you don't get any of these problems when you're just renting.

I suppose I'm one of your "doom and gloom" posters but then I've lived here for the last ten years.

Cheers,
Bill

Last edited by billgates; Oct 31st 2014 at 1:29 am. Reason: pelling
Old Oct 31st 2014, 1:58 am
Just Joined

Barwick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bill .
Every issue you have raised it completely spot on and that's why I'm on here .
I cant just rent a house every now and the for a week or two - that's not true I just call it a holiday .
My long term plan was to buy now at an affordable price , keep working cos I'm only 44 , then we can have it all paid for over the next few years , use it as a holiday home with longer term plans of staying there for longer periods after that .
It would get used more than 6 weeks of the year just in friends and family hogging it .
But you still make all the points that need addressing - I cant get round that and I don't think there's a definite answer other than don't buy .
But if that's correct why do so many find it appealing !
Or do I wait till I get to retirement and then buy !
But in my own personal experience you might not get there my dad didn't - so that's why I'm thinking of doing it now .
If you follow my ramblings
ta john
Old Oct 31st 2014, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Bill .
Every issue you have raised it completely spot on and that's why I'm on here .
I cant just rent a house every now and the for a week or two - that's not true I just call it a holiday .
My long term plan was to buy now at an affordable price , keep working cos I'm only 44 , then we can have it all paid for over the next few years , use it as a holiday home with longer term plans of staying there for longer periods after that .
It would get used more than 6 weeks of the year just in friends and family hogging it .
But you still make all the points that need addressing - I cant get round that and I don't think there's a definite answer other than don't buy .
But if that's correct why do so many find it appealing !
Or do I wait till I get to retirement and then buy !
But in my own personal experience you might not get there my dad didn't - so that's why I'm thinking of doing it now .
If you follow my ramblings
ta john
Billgates is right in many things and there's a lot to consider. Those are exactly the reasons why we bought a plot of land and not a finished villa. Remember that the house you buy now will be old in 20 years, so modular living is the solution. These days you can even get modern mobile homes that cost around 25K and are more luxurious than any flat on the market + are low key maintenance.

Last edited by Moses2013; Oct 31st 2014 at 2:46 am.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 6:57 am
Senior Moment

Hi .
Were not after profit , just a home - we holiday there , the kids and a few friends can use it to keep it occupied . I've been watching a few houses we like for months now , and one which was inland a few miles that especially got my attention was for sale through the owner and not an agent , it had great pictures , a fantastic write up and a generally good effort of trying to sell his home . I had just sent an e-mail/enquiry and guess what its just sold. It was a little different , had a bit of land , a pool and great views - not silly money and I still bet they took less . But anyway all the other town houses are still for sale !
I was still apprehensive about buying a property in the country esp regarding security but I don't think I can ever be happy because it is what it is. Good locks , bars and poss cameras is all you can do I suppose .
So I'm turning again to a more secluded villa , were still looking and another one has popped up so I'm keeping an eye on it and will grow a pair and make the enquiry soon .
Thanks again
john

Hey John ... I'm not talking about profit. I dont think anyone really expects to make a profit these days on a Spanish home. I'm talking about if you ever need to sell up.

As regards your comments about the villa above .... now you get an idea of what I'm talking about. It's sold. The townhouses didnt.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
Rental return will certainly be higher.
Nope.

I own an apartment in the UK which I rent out. It's occupied year-round by the same tenant.

I own an apartment in Spain which I don't rent out, but my neighbour does (identical apartment). He makes in 12 weeks what I make for a year from my UK property.

I could make a higher yield from my Spanish property than I do from the UK one, no doubt about it.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of mobile homes....

- a friend of mine has one in the UK, it's huge by mobile home standards but I couldn't live in it, there's no room for all my stuff

- my friend's luxury mobile home is luxurious by mobile home standards but is not in the same league as a good quality apartment. Throw all the cash you like at a mobile home and it still won't come close to a well specced apartment

These days you can even get modern mobile homes that cost around 25K and are more luxurious than any flat on the market + are low key maintenance.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi,

Billgates has echoed my thoughts about the maintenance and security aspects. I wouldn't be comfortable leaving a villa unoccupied for any length of time and would therefore recommend something which could be left with confidence. Either a villa in a gated development (they have a bad press but good ones do exist) or an apartment.

When it comes to purchasing the arguments about the investment return will be brought up but need to be balanced with the lifestyle aspect. I bought knowing that I could put the money in the UK and it would almost certainly do better. But, I spend several months a year in Spain and wanted somewhere there. If you can afford it, why not, eh?

Hi .
Thanks again
john

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.