British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Hi Everyone (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/hi-everyone-903175/)

Derickoo Sep 10th 2017 11:08 pm

Hi Everyone

I'm Derick from S, IRELAND hoping soon to move to El Campello or Tossa De Mar. Was hoping to rent for one year and then purchase when I am happy and content with my surroundings.

Been browsing real-estate sites for the past month have figured out some of the basics, Add 12-15 percent on to the price of purchase. But that's a year or so down the road.

Health issues so am concerned about health insurance but will discuss all in future threads. Early 60s

Posted this in the main forum which covers the world but Spain is my choice.
So iv reposted here to let people know who I am if I reply to threads.: amen:

Moses2013 Sep 11th 2017 8:41 am

Re: Hi Everyone

Originally Posted by Derickoo (Post 12335612)
I'm Derick from S, IRELAND hoping soon to move to El Campello or Tossa De Mar. Was hoping to rent for one year and then purchase when I am happy and content with my surroundings.

Been browsing real-estate sites for the past month have figured out some of the basics, Add 12-15 percent on to the price of purchase. But that's a year or so down the road.

Health issues so am concerned about health insurance but will discuss all in future threads. Early 60s

I assume Republic of Ireland;) and do you have an Irish Passport? Regarding area, just depends what you prefer and what you can get for your budget. El Campello is Costa Blanca and Tossa de Mar Costa Brava, so two complete different areas. The 2nd would certainly be my taste:lol:.

Rosemary Sep 11th 2017 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Derickoo (Post 12335612)

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

KieronF Sep 11th 2017 3:18 pm

Depending on the economic climate at the time, a good rule of thumb would be to use the advertised property sale price as the full price you might end up paying after legals, taxes etc. because most properties are 12 - 15% overpriced at the moment.

Withavee Sep 11th 2017 3:42 pm

Hi Derick, sounds like you are a little further on than us. Moving from England so Brexit may have bigger impact on us. Hope all goes well, perhaps meet up in a bar over there one day. Peter and Cathy.

Derickoo Sep 20th 2017 2:49 am

The more I research the further up the coast I wander.Was wondering what people taught of Denia seems like am all year round place to settle.
Property prices seem to vary from place to place and without boots on the ground and looking it is difficult to make any accurate assumptions. Bank properties with a need for reform, not a total refurb may suit me as with all the time in the world at my hands.
Getting a property with a good energy efficiency rating is difficult, my own 4 bed detached is rated B. Which was built in 1990 I have had various insulation upgrades done to both cavity walls and attic.
Well, my journey begins.

missile Sep 20th 2017 9:49 am

Denia is very nice. A friend of mine owns a hotel there > https://www.hostalloreto.com/en/home/

If you are interested in Denia, it might be worth booking in there and seeking his advice?

mikelincs Sep 20th 2017 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Derickoo (Post 12342058)
The more I research the further up the coast I wander.Was wondering what people taught of Denia seems like am all year round place to settle.
Property prices seem to vary from place to place and without boots on the ground and looking it is difficult to make any accurate assumptions. Bank properties with a need for reform, not a total refurb may suit me as with all the time in the world at my hands.
Getting a property with a good energy efficiency rating is difficult, my own 4 bed detached is rated B. Which was built in 1990 I have had various insulation upgrades done to both cavity walls and attic.
Well, my journey begins.

Very few Spanish houses have insulation at all, so searching for one will be looking in a very small pool. I don't think they have energy rating there either. Be very careful with any place that needs reform, many of them may well be illegal builds, so use a solicitor to check legality etc., and NOT the one recommended by the estate agent

Loafing Along Sep 20th 2017 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Derickoo (Post 12342058)
Well, my journey begins.

There is a Spanish rating system in place and , in theory, owners should have a certificate when they sell however most property advertisements come with the catch-all phrase "Energy Certificate being processed". Electricity costs in Spain are high and generally people are becoming more aware of the need for proper insulation, double-glazing etc but will take a long time.

Fred James Sep 20th 2017 3:11 pm

I think the building regs changed about 2000 and all new houses since then have to have wall insulation.

Derickoo Sep 26th 2017 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 12342514)
I think the building regs changed about 2000 and all new houses since then have to have wall insulation.

That was when the EU directive came into being it covered all member states.
If properties have cavity walls it is quite easy to drill holes and pump in the insulation and insulate the attic. Double glazing is another option, a little more expensive.
Will concentrate my viewing on properties built after 2000 maybe later 2003-6.

Derickoo Sep 28th 2017 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by KieronF (Post 12335983)
Depending on the economic climate at the time, a good rule of thumb would be to use the advertised property sale price as the full price you might end up paying after legals, taxes etc. because most properties are 12 - 15% overpriced at the moment.

Yes, I see this and much much more in certain examples esp further inland and Bank offered properties. "I am aware of employing a lawyer."
As I have been self-employed most of my adult career I see the pitfalls easier than most. If you can sell Encyclopedia Brit****** at 18 and be successful you see it coming a mile off.
Onward journey here we come bring it on.:thumbsup: