Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

He's as good at Spanish as the Spanish! Yay!

He's as good at Spanish as the Spanish! Yay!

Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: He's as good at Spanish as the Spanish! Yay!

Originally Posted by manamama
In order for our children who come to Spain and pick up the spanish language and speak it fluently, I do think they need to have friends who are spanish and are taught in a spanish school (state or private).

However, I feel that our children can lag behind academically in the state school and just be left to struggle. Some schools are rubbish just like the UK. In the UK many schools have so many children with English as a second language and need so much more help which may or may not be given. Now its the same here in areas.

Some schools are in areas where the spanish children, or parents and teachers are not aiming high enough.

I think the OP has done a good thing with her son. He's been in a spanish school for 3 years and would no doubt be fluent. My son who is 6 has been here just two years in the spanish school as speaks fluently.

I am considering now for my daughter who is 11 to switch to an International School because she is approaching the secondary schooling and it will be better for her to learn in English as opposed to spanish. She has been in a state school for 2 years almost so I am looking to next September (IF we stay that is!).

Well done little guy...!
Sounds a similar story... interestingly, the Spanish mums seem as keen on the more 'free thinking' style of the British education as on the English language element. They are quite disparaging about the 'if it's week 11 we must be on chapter 3' thinking of the Spanish state system. Almost babbling with excitement about seeing posters & pictures all around the walls! (of the classrooms, I mean)

As to fluency, well yes I hope he is & will remain fluent. I accept his vocabulary will probably never be that of a native Spaniard because we can't be correcting or improving in the home (well we can but nowhere near the extent we do in English). Several mums said their children told them the new boy in class was Spanish..

Well done kids all round, really
Old Dec 1st 2009, 11:25 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: He's as good at Spanish as the Spanish! Yay!

Originally Posted by fionamw
Sounds a similar story... interestingly, the Spanish mums seem as keen on the more 'free thinking' style of the British education as on the English language element. They are quite disparaging about the 'if it's week 11 we must be on chapter 3' thinking of the Spanish state system. Almost babbling with excitement about seeing posters & pictures all around the walls! (of the classrooms, I mean)

As to fluency, well yes I hope he is & will remain fluent. I accept his vocabulary will probably never be that of a native Spaniard because we can't be correcting or improving in the home (well we can but nowhere near the extent we do in English). Several mums said their children told them the new boy in class was Spanish..

Well done kids all round, really
What I like about the Spanish system, I can see from the textbooks what they are doing and what they have been learning. Whereas in the UK, parents are lost and do not know what the kids are doing week to week. (my experience). It was only on "book day" when you see the kids work in their tray. Homework was not given, but a book to read each week.

My son is just like your boy. He is 6 and talks like a spanish boy, (everyone tells me but obviously I wouldn't know myself). However, I can see that my daughter who is a year old speaks spanish in a british accent still. But that's OK. I know it will take some more time for her.

Really our children do not learn language from us as parents, it is from their peers, books, teachers and being in Spain, it's everywhere. So I know that my children do not need me to teach them spanish. English yes - thankfully I am quite good at English and I read alot and use big words!!

Every child is so different but they do deserve a "well done" sticker.