Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

He's as good at Spanish as the Spanish! Yay!

He's as good at Spanish as the Spanish! Yay!

Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:54 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: He's as good at Spanish as the Spanish! Yay!

One other thing I'd like to add is that most of the state schools around my area are really not the kind of place I'd choose to send my kids anyway! I have been lucky in finding a good one this time for my daughter, but she went to one about a year ago and it was absolutely horrendous. The Spanish kids hated the British kids, the British kids were, in the main unruly thugs. The teachers didnt know what to do so ended up putting all the Brit kids into a corner of the class and they did "colouring in" most of the day! That unfortunately isnt an unusual senario from what I've seen, There are acceptions, in fact I have at last found one, but thats how most seemed when I went to look at them and I have had a good look around The schools with a high proportion of British kids seem to have problems with bullying and truancy.

jo xxx
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:56 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

I meant would it not be better for children too learn Spanish as there first language for school and have there 2nd language taught at home.

Although there at a bad age for the change.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:04 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo
I meant would it not be better for children too learn Spanish as there first language for school and have there 2nd language taught at home.

The problem is when, if they child cannot understand enough Spanish to be able to understand the lesson. Even maths taught in a language that you dont fully understand is a hell of a lot more difficult to grasp.

So the child just get very disheartened and could fall behind, the older the child is the more important it is to fully understand the lesson, as time is running out.
When I went to English school we wer still at the stage of cutting out and colouring in so it was not really that difficult to keep even though I did not always really understand most of what was being said.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:20 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots of things that I can be advised on, taught and shown, there a lot of things that I can be persuaded about. BUT, no one will ever tell me what is best for my children!

Now, if you really think that I would jeopardise my 15yo sons dream of becoming an airline pilot just so that he can "possibly" speak ****ing Spanish fluently and intergrate into a failing economy and community then you are very wrong! Coming to Spain was my dream, not his and the hell he's gonna have his future ruined because of that! At best he could end up helping "paco" at the local garage" whoopy, he's intergrated and now he's Pacos goffer!!

There! I dont normally do displays of anger on forums, but your post, if it was directed at me has got to be the most ridiculous and thoughtless post I've ever read

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojojojojojojojojo; Nov 25th 2009 at 4:22 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Spanish state schools taught English now.
Woudn`t it be better for them to learn more in Spanish in school and learn basic English at home.
Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo
There are lots of things that I can be advised on, taught and shown, there a lot of things that I can be persuaded about. BUT, no one will ever tell me what is best for my children!

Now, if you really think that I would jeopardise my 15yo sons dream of becoming an airline pilot just so that he can "possibly" speak ****ing Spanish fluently and intergrate into a failing economy and community then you are very wrong! Coming to Spain was my dream, not his and the hell he's gonna have his future ruined because of that! At best he could end up helping "paco" at the local garage" whoopy, he's intergrated and now he's Pacos goffer!!

There! I dont normally do displays of anger on forums, but your post, if it was directed at me has got to be the most ridiculous and thoughtless post I've ever read

Jo xxx
In chronological rather than priority order...

My experience suggests they do, however certainly at 7yo's state school he was helping the teacher teach (not to say this is typical, but I've heard Spanish parents say it is!!)

That's what we did, and his success (so far - things could change) is probably due to going in & being fluent in Spanish with his entirely Spanish classmates and understanding his lessons in Spanish rather than struggling. In fact I forgot to mention in my OP that the Spanish teacher said she'd marked him as if he were a native Spanish speaker rather than 'making allowances' (yay again!) ........ however a great deal depends on the age of the child when going into school of whatever type in Spain. The younger they are the easier they soak up information whether it's language or maths. (or maths in 2 languages)

I don't want to put words, but for the sake of keeping things on an even keel, I read the post from the perspective that Chulo meant that in principle it would be a good idea to immerse kids in Spanish & give them their native language lessons at home........ however as I've said above, that does of course depend on age. I'm sure no-one meant any harm. Spot any Libran diplomatic tendencies from yours truly, anyone?

update on 7yo..... met his class teacher this pm, she takes all lessons other than those taught in Spanish (cono & lengua) & said in the 6 years she's been there she hasn't had a British child come in & be so readily accepted by his classmates, obviously helping him be befriended & settle in..... which she put down entirely to his being fluent in Spanish. The others she's had in her class haven't been. Make of that what you will. I reckon his 3 years at state school were key.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:21 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

I was asking not advising.

If I was advising I`d suggest not moving them too Spain, but since I`m just curious as to the difference and why the choice you made as you seemed approachable, friendly and experienced.

I could not give a fig about you or your children, I just asked why the difference.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by fionamw

I don't want to put words, but for the sake of keeping things on an even keel, I read the post from the perspective that Chulo meant that in principle it would be a good idea to immerse kids in Spanish & give them their native language lessons at home........ however as I've said above, that does of course depend on age. I'm sure no-one meant any harm. Spot any Libran diplomatic tendencies from yours truly, anyone?
I was starting to doubt my level of inteligence, I`m glad someone was able to understand me.

It did make more sense to me that living in a non English society it seemed more sensible to learn the language most used.

Now I no why JOJOJOJJOJOJOJOJOJOJ decided not too, she obviously holds Spain and education in little regard.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:27 pm
Banned

I was asking not advising.

If I was advising I`d suggest not moving them too Spain, but since I`m just curious as to the difference and why the choice you made as you seemed approachable, friendly and experienced.

I could not give a fig about you or your children, I just asked why the difference.

I'm sorry if I was a little harsh, but sometimes I feel this forum is very ready to critise international schools and those who dont want to "immerse" their children in the local community. I am a bit sensitive today - its a woman thing LOL

Spains education system is fine, better than the UK, if you're fluent and not "dumped" in a class full of other "dumped" brits IMO

Jo xxx
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:35 pm
Banned

No problems.

I`m getting fed up with this place also, seems every time I write something, someone/s got to insult me rather than debate, always a sign there lacking social ability.

I don`t come here for insults or argument, I have a wife and only she gets away with that.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:58 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry if I was a little harsh, but sometimes I feel this forum is very ready to critise international schools and those who dont want to "immerse" their children in the local community. I am a bit sensitive today - its a woman thing LOL

Spains education system is fine, better than the UK, if you're fluent and not "dumped" in a class full of other "dumped" brits IMO

Jo xxx
Just to try and calm the waters a little, I am going to stick my head above the paretet

As a kid who has been through this process, at a young age, I agree that it is very important to learn the language of the country that is to be your "permanent home".
I was sent to a UK school and I was the only foreign kid in the school, it did me no harm, but then again, I could not imagine the damage it would do to a 15 year old. My class was still basically at the making snowmen and Mothers day card stage, so even though I did not understand a great deal at first, it was not that important.
The case of a 15 year old who has ambitions of a good career, in my opinion is totally different.
I would have hated to have been put in a UK state school at 15 without being fluent, any advantages that would be gained by knowing a second language would be wiped out, due to the lack of progression following the curriculum of the school.
Even a few weeks of being left behind with classwork and homework, would mean a hell of a lot to catch up with, a near impossible task for the child in question.

Every mother knows her own child best, they know where they will thirve and when they wont.
My parents did their best for a 7 year old me, but that would not have been the best thing for a 15 year old me.

Just my take on the subject, as I have been on the receiving end of this situation,and I can totally understand what JO is saying, she is a bit like a tiger defending her cub.

Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by JLFS
Just to try and calm the waters a little, I am going to stick my head above the paretet

As a kid who has been through this process, at a young age, I agree that it is very important to learn the language of the country that is to be your "permanent home".
I was sent to a UK school and I was the only foreign kid in the school, it did me no harm, but then again, I could not imagine the damage it would do to a 15 year old. My class was still basically at the making snowmen and Mothers day card stage, so even though I did not understand a great deal at first, it was not that important.
The case of a 15 year old who has ambitions of a good career, in my opinion is totally different.
I would have hated to have been put in a UK state school at 15 without being fluent, any advantages that would be gained by knowing a second language would be wiped out, due to the lack of progression following the curriculum of the school.
Even a few weeks of being left behind with classwork and homework, would mean a hell of a lot to catch up with, a near impossible task for the child in question.

Every mother knows her own child best, they know where they will thirve and when they wont.
My parents did their best for a 7 year old me, but that would not have been the best thing for a 15 year old me.

Just my take on the subject, as I have been on the receiving end of this situation,and I can totally understand what JO is saying, she is a bit like a tiger defending her cub.

Yes, I like that analogy, a tiger defending her cub LOL - hhmmm, I'm not sure, looking at the lazy great lump slouched on the sofa watching TV is much like a "cub" anymore

Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread Fiona. I'm really glad your "cub" is settling into school well, in fact if anything the experience of change like this can only be a good thing, giving him confidence and expreience of new things and new challenges! - now all you've gotta do is pay for it LOL

Jo xxx
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I like that analogy, a tiger defending her cub LOL - hhmmm, I'm not sure, looking at the lazy great lump slouched on the sofa watching TV is much like a "cub" anymore

Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread Fiona. I'm really glad your "cub" is settling into school well, in fact if anything the experience of change like this can only be a good thing, giving him confidence and expreience of new things and new challenges! - now all you've gotta do is pay for it LOL

Jo xxx
I don't see what's been the past few posts as hijacking, in fact considering how it's worked out I think it's one of the more civilised "disagreements-that-turned-around-to-be-acceptable-conversations" I've seen in quite a while! No worries. ps I just wish my elder 2 were here to be seen as slobbing and yes, €€€€ particularly when wondrous 7yo loses 2 23€ jumpers in half a term
Old Nov 30th 2009, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Its amazing how children cope.

If only us adults could learn a language, even our English is crap sometimes
Let's see, seeing as we've strayed off yet again I would like to throw in my 2 cents: I was a linguistic foreigner when I moved to Pennsylvania from the Spanish Caribbean when I was a kid. I knew nothing of English and my parents dumped me into the local public school district. Picked up English and now speak it like a Hollywood actor even tho it's my 2nd language. So from my experiences, I would definitely say the public school is the better route if you have younger elementary school age kids. They will learn, will adapt, and most likely will learn to speak Spanish without an accent. If I were a parent and I had a kid that was 12+ years old, I would consider the international school if I could pay for it, or move to Spain after my older ones are off to uni back home
Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:26 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

The English International college in Elviria has a lot of Spanish kids now. Before many had just one spanish parent but now a lot are from both spanish parents. My friend sent her son there because they were unhappy with the spanish private schools.

Jo I agree with what you are saying re. your son.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:32 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

In order for our children who come to Spain and pick up the spanish language and speak it fluently, I do think they need to have friends who are spanish and are taught in a spanish school (state or private).

However, I feel that our children can lag behind academically in the state school and just be left to struggle. Some schools are rubbish just like the UK. In the UK many schools have so many children with English as a second language and need so much more help which may or may not be given. Now its the same here in areas.

Some schools are in areas where the spanish children, or parents and teachers are not aiming high enough.

I think the OP has done a good thing with her son. He's been in a spanish school for 3 years and would no doubt be fluent. My son who is 6 has been here just two years in the spanish school as speaks fluently.

I am considering now for my daughter who is 11 to switch to an International School because she is approaching the secondary schooling and it will be better for her to learn in English as opposed to spanish. She has been in a state school for 2 years almost so I am looking to next September (IF we stay that is!).

Well done little guy...!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.