Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

He's as good at Spanish as the Spanish! Yay!

He's as good at Spanish as the Spanish! Yay!

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default He's as good at Spanish as the Spanish! Yay!

Having shifted 7yo to a British International school in Sept & after much worry warting if his Spanish would remain good (3 years in state school in village).... appointment with his Spanish teacher this morning, heś at the same level as many and better than some in his class. And they're all Spanish. Phew! Irony is some of the mums have told me they're p'd off there are so few Brits there whereas we're chuffed to bits his day is spent mainly in Spanish.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:31 am
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of
Default Re: He's as good at Spanish as the Spanish! Yay!

Its amazing how children cope.

If only us adults could learn a language, even our English is crap sometimes
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo

Absolutabloodymente
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:41 am
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

If only there was an Oxford certificate in Spanenglish.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:57 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Having shifted 7yo to a British International school in Sept & after much worry warting if his Spanish would remain good (3 years in state school in village).... appointment with his Spanish teacher this morning, heś at the same level as many and better than some in his class. And they're all Spanish. Phew! Irony is some of the mums have told me they're p'd off there are so few Brits there whereas we're chuffed to bits his day is spent mainly in Spanish.

The same at the international school my son attends! Lots of Spanish kids, they "mix n match" the languages in the playground and altho the lessons are predominantly taught in english, they also have shadow lessons in Spanish. Not all international schools are just for Bish, nor do they alienate the children from the Spanish, culture, language etc - they just happen to us the English curriculum alongside the Baccalaureat.

It seems that as a lot of Brits are leaving, the Spanish are filling the school places, cos they like the idea of their children picking up the english language this way instead of just thru english lessons!!!

Jo xxx
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:01 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I've been told by a Spanish teacher (when I did a language course back in the 90s in Spain) that students from countries like Holland, where they leave school already with several languages, learn Spanish a lot quicker. This makes sense, but I wonder how they fit all those words in! It is impressive how quickly children can pick things up - to me the amazing thing is learning to read.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:17 pm
Banned

English is the natural choice for Spain`s students.

It opens far more employment opportunities than learn French or German.

I deal with some small Spanish businesses,we communicate in English most of the time.

They also deal with other UK and US based firms.

I read recently that English was being stepped up a gear in all state schools in Spain.

My city in the UK has a huge Spanish student population.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 7:02 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Congratulations to him (and you) it is good that he had come on so well. Having been through the same experience myself (Although not according to some on this site) I know he will be really proud of himself.

enhorabuena to you all.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 12:02 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad to see that international schools are gaining a bit of credibility on the forum. When I have mentioned international schools in the past on here, its been met with some dissapproval as if I was being elitist, British or preventing my kids from intergrating. That isnt the case. Going on what I know of international schools they're full of all nationalities and languages. They have lessons in British, lessons in Spanish and extra language lessons in whatever for those who need it. The Spanish send their children to internationals because they understand the need for their children to be bilingual if they are to succeed in the international business world and a lesson twice a week doesnt necessarily bring total fluency!

As for intergrating, well theres time after school, weekends, holidays, clubs etc for that, if you feel its neessary, but education is education and has to be the best, sadly, if that means paying for it then so be it!

Jo xxx
Old Nov 24th 2009, 6:55 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo
I'm glad to see that international schools are gaining a bit of credibility on the forum. When I have mentioned international schools in the past on here, its been met with some dissapproval as if I was being elitist, British or preventing my kids from intergrating. That isnt the case. Going on what I know of international schools they're full of all nationalities and languages. They have lessons in British, lessons in Spanish and extra language lessons in whatever for those who need it. The Spanish send their children to internationals because they understand the need for their children to be bilingual if they are to succeed in the international business world and a lesson twice a week doesnt necessarily bring total fluency!

As for intergrating, well theres time after school, weekends, holidays, clubs etc for that, if you feel its neessary, but education is education and has to be the best, sadly, if that means paying for it then so be it!

Jo xxx
How does paying for it make it better ?
Old Nov 24th 2009, 7:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
How does paying for it make it better ?
because you have to pay for international schools ?????

Jo xxx
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:26 pm
Banned

I thought Spanish state schools taught English now.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:34 pm
Banned

I thought Spanish state schools taught English now.

A few are just beginning to introduce a bilingual programme and are teaching lessons in both languages, in fact the state school my daughter has just started does this and already has a huge waiting list of Spanish parents who want their kids on this programme and its oversubscribed. But the majority of state schools have the usual English lesson twice a week, which teaches them English, but it doesnt teach them to be bilingual

Jo xxx
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:39 pm
Banned

Woudn`t it be better for them to learn more in Spanish in school and learn basic English at home.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:47 pm
Banned

Woudn`t it be better for them to learn more in Spanish in school and learn basic English at home.
Who the english or the Spanish??LOL Depends what you want and how old your kids are! My daughter is 12 and she's at state school. She's not gonna learn anything academic at school til she masters the language. My son is 15 and he's at an international school. Putting him in a state school would pretty much ruin his chance of gaining any academic qualifications and I doubt he'd pick up enough Spanish to become bilingual - oh he may "intergrate" into the community, but then what?? He wants to be an airline pilot and I'm gonna do my very best to make that happen for him

The Spanish who can afford international schools are doing it the other way round arent they! Thats why there are so many Spanish in international schools

Jo xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.