Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Help wanted-where to live and work in spain

Help wanted-where to live and work in spain

Old May 17th 2007, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

kevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nice
Question Help wanted-where to live and work in spain

Hello all.
I have been reading all the helpful advice etc on this forum so maybe some one can help.
1. Where is the best place to open a cycle shop including bike hire or maybe organized cycle tours in spain?
2. where in your opinion would this work?
We are learning spanish at the moment and our daughter who works in GIB. is fluent in spanish
We have had our uk flat valued but would have to use the proceeds to set the business up and find somewhere to buy or rent to live.
Our daughter lives near Estepona and we could use this as a base to live temporarily .

We have a good knowledge of the costas and ballearics as we,ve travelled by campervan all the way down and round to cadiz eventually going over to the canaries by boat.
My wife is a palliative care nurse.but would be willing to consider any other work.
I,m sorry if this has been a bit long winded.
But please any help would be appreciated.
Many Thanks. Kevin
Old May 17th 2007, 2:58 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help wanted-where to live and work in spain

I would think anywhere that has areas of National parkland would be suitable?So people can dump the cars and go for a bikeride. We intend too buy bikes as soon as we can out there to explore our new territory!
Old May 17th 2007, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice

Originally Posted by kevd
Hello all.
I have been reading all the helpful advice etc on this forum so maybe some one can help.
1. Where is the best place to open a cycle shop including bike hire or maybe organized cycle tours in spain?
We are learning spanish at the moment and our daughter who works in GIB. is fluent in spanish
We have had our uk flat valued but would have to use the proceeds to set the business up and find somewhere to buy or rent to live.
Our daughter lives near Estepona and we could use this as a base to live temporarily .

We have a good knowledge of the costas and ballearics as we,ve travelled by campervan all the way down and round to cadiz eventually going over to the canaries by boat.
My wife is a palliative care nurse.but would be willing to consider any other work.
Many Thanks. Kevin
Hi kevd, I'm another shiefielder where abouts are you? Think silverchick is right, if your near a national park then you're going to get people who like the out doors. But you'd have to check out the competition
Old May 17th 2007, 4:49 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all.

Many Thanks. Kevin
Interesting idea. The Spaniards are cycling mad as you probably know. From what you say you won't have the cash to maybe, say, combine it with some land puchase and accomodation for the cyclers? That would be a great idea, log cabins a little inland somewhere ......
Old May 17th 2007, 5:40 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

That would be a fantastic Idea, especially if you linked it to 'green' issues, did i.e solar heated cabins etc. there are so many people now concerned with their carbon inprint on the world you'd be inundated!
Old May 17th 2007, 9:35 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silverchick
That would be a fantastic Idea, especially if you linked it to 'green' issues, did i.e solar heated cabins etc. there are so many people now concerned with their carbon inprint on the world you'd be inundated!
Quite a few bike hire companies round here, hire out the bikes, and deliver and collect them.
Old May 18th 2007, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

pablosho has a brilliant futurepablosho has a brilliant futurepablosho has a brilliant futurepablosho has a brilliant futurepablosho has a brilliant futurepablosho has a brilliant futurepablosho has a brilliant future

Hi KevD
Just an idea and may be a rubbish one but here goes anyway. Chiclana (Costa de la luz) About 2000 expats live in and around the area, the spanish holiday there all through the summer and with the great length of La Barrosa beach many people might be interested in hiring bikes to cycle to the beach rather than take the car.
I am sure the good expat people of Chiclana will give it a or a accordingly.
Cheers
Old May 18th 2007, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kevin

If you are thinking of living near your daughter, why not spend a bit of time in the area and get to know it well, before parting with any money. Join a few clubs in the areas and get a feel for it and some of the problems people are encounting and where they get their bits and pieces from etc. By going to other clubs yourself etc you will start to know what the problems are and the needs of people. I think it is probably too early for you to buy this shop until you have lived in an area and got to know what people want etc. Also check out each area you are looking at and see what the competition is like and how good their service is, again you may find a niche. I personally wouldn't spend any money until you have done a through research of the competitors and what they have to offer, and I wouldn't part with any money until I had been living in a place for at least a year to get an idea whether it would be a good idea or not.

If your daughter is working although she speaks spanish, she may not always be available to help you if you have customers who are spanish or dealing with suppliers etc. It is tough enough setting up a business in your own country without having the language barrier on top.

Its a good idea but you have to do more research and see what is around, so that involves looking in yellow pages and maybe joining a few clubs to ge to know what any complaints are or what people want.

Hello all.

Many Thanks. Kevin
Old May 21st 2007, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

kevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nice

Originally Posted by jeanc
Hi kevd, I'm another shiefielder where abouts are you? Think silverchick is right, if your near a national park then you're going to get people who like the out doors. But you'd have to check out the competition
Hi JeanC i,m from hillsborough,Sheffield.
But hopefully moving to spain asap if it all works out o.k.
Old May 21st 2007, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the advice given.
We are hopefully going over to the estepona area for approx 3weeks early in June so will do some more research .As i call it a (RECCIE MISSION)
We love the spanish way of life after visiting many times.
My wife is still dubious about it all though ,scared of the change!
All the kids are now grown up but still trying to convince her that they would be only 2 hours away to visit one another.
Am i right in understanding that if both parties are not 100% certain it would not work moving out to Spain.What do you think?
I personally would be willing to lick the floors clean (only joking) to live the Spanish way of life.
But if my wife is not 100% sure am i flogging a dead horse so to speak?
Anyway thanks again for your help .Kev
Old May 21st 2007, 7:03 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice given.
We are hopefully going over to the estepona area for approx 3weeks early in June so will do some more research .As i call it a (RECCIE MISSION)
We love the spanish way of life after visiting many times.
My wife is still dubious about it all though ,scared of the change!
All the kids are now grown up but still trying to convince her that they would be only 2 hours away to visit one another.
Am i right in understanding that if both parties are not 100% certain it would not work moving out to Spain.What do you think?
I personally would be willing to lick the floors clean (only joking) to live the Spanish way of life.
But if my wife is not 100% sure am i flogging a dead horse so to speak?
Anyway thanks again for your help .Kev
Hi Kevin and a warm welcome from me too

I would make sure your wife wanted to make the move as much as yourself otherwise the results could be devastating.

There's a famous quote I live by:

Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking outward in the same direction.
by Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Best of luck
Martha
Old May 21st 2007, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
Hi Kevin and a warm welcome from me too

I would make sure your wife wanted to make the move as much as yourself otherwise the results could be devastating.

Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking outward in the same direction.

Best of luck
Martha
The little prince..??
Old May 21st 2007, 7:07 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM

Best of luck
Martha
Thats nice, Mine is....

"Dont eat yellow snow!"

Oh and welcome Kevin.
Old May 21st 2007, 7:13 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
"Dont eat yellow snow!"
Are we hijacking AGAIN??????

Ummmmmmmm and as far as snow is concerned......well, you'll have quite a number of months to worry about that one
Old May 21st 2007, 7:15 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
Are we hijacking AGAIN??????

Ummmmmmmm and as far as snow is concerned......well, you'll have quite a number of months to worry about that one
I actually said hello so officially no!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.