British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Help on Spanish state schools (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/help-spanish-state-schools-914910/)

adamlang Jul 13th 2018 8:37 pm

Help on Spanish state schools

Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this.

we (wife and me) are thinking about putting our children in to Spanish state school, my children when we move will be 11 & 8 yrs old we will be living near Nerja area.
like all parents we want the best education for our children. Our there any parents on here have been through this, our are currently doing so?
who could advise of schools which are good or not so great, areas of schools?

Thanks again

Adam

mikelincs Jul 13th 2018 9:02 pm

Re: Help on Spanish state schools

Originally Posted by adamlang (Post 12532696)
Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this.

we (wife and me) are thinking about putting our children in to Spanish state school, my children when we move will be 11 & 8 yrs old we will be living near Nerja area.
like all parents we want the best education for our children. Our there any parents on here have been through this, our are currently doing so?
who could advise of schools which are good or not so great, areas of schools?

Thanks again

Adam

Your 8 yr old should be UK, but the 11 yr old will find it very difficult unless they already have an excellent knowledge of Spanish a better option for the 11 yr old would be an international school.

adamlang Jul 13th 2018 9:36 pm

Hi mike

we are having Spanish lessons 4 times per month, and tbh the 10 yr old has picked it up fantastically! its my little girl who is very shy about it.

do you recommend and international schools or state schools?

thanks

Adam

adamlang Jul 13th 2018 9:56 pm

I see you we also NHS mike, my other half is a pediatric nurse, what sort of opportunities are open in Spain from your experience?

mikelincs Jul 14th 2018 5:30 am

Originally Posted by adamlang (Post 12532738)
I see you we also NHS mike, my other half is a pediatric nurse, what sort of opportunities are open in Spain from your experience?

I never worked in Spain as I retired there for a few years, so no direct experience with schools or nursing, she would have to have her qualifications checked and would need a good knowledge of Spanish also nursing there is totally different from the UK as the nurses only provide medical care, no personal stuff like washing, feeding, that is done by family in Spain.

scot47 Jul 14th 2018 6:33 am

International schools are expensive. For children, moving at the age of 11 can be traumatic. i speak from family experience.

Sorry to be a naysayer.

dmu Jul 14th 2018 7:28 am

Originally Posted by adamlang (Post 12532728)
Hi mike

we are having Spanish lessons 4 times per month, and tbh the 10 yr old has picked it up fantastically! its my little girl who is very shy about it.

do you recommend and international schools or state schools?

thanks

Adam

Hi from the France forum, but it's a universal issue, moving pre-teens/teens to a foreign country.
As said, your 8-year old won't have any problem picking up Spanish on the spot and will be prepared when the time comes to move up to Secondary School.
IMO Spanish lessons 4 times a week aren't enough for your 10 year old. He/she needs to master Spanish Grammar and learn Spanish Culture (Literature, History, etc...) in order to be able to follow classes in first year Secondary School. In France for example, pupils have to write essays in all subjects in French, and a second language (in addition to English) is also taught. Your child won't necessarily shine in English classes if he/she isn't able to translate texts into correct Spanish.
It's generally advised to put 11-year-olds into an International School, but the main drawbacks are that they don't integrate as easily, take much longer to pick up the language, and don't make friends with the locals.
Difficult decision, but 11 is a difficult age!:)

bob_bob Jul 14th 2018 9:15 am

Originally Posted by adamlang (Post 12532738)

Thousands of Spanish nurses have moved to the UK to nurse as there are no jobs for them in Spain.