British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Help with Spain locations PLEASE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/help-spain-locations-please-152035/)

waff May 12th 2003 2:00 pm

Help with Spain locations PLEASE

Hi, We are a family of four, kids age 4 & 2, looking to relocate to spain. We keep hearing so many different things about which area to settle in, we are so confused. We originally thought we'd try and be in an area rife with ex-pats, but have been told many of them are petty criminals and we would be better being in a more spanish village.

Then I've heard stories of people who found it hard to be accepted in predominately spanish villages, so can anyone recommend good areas, approx 30mins from coast, with a bit of both and good for young kids?????:confused:

valleygirl May 12th 2003 9:22 pm

Hi Waff

I have lived in both English and Spanish areas and from my experience the best place by far was with the Spanish especially if you have kids because they love em!!

My husband and I were really accepted by the local Spanish community because we didnt want to be classed as typical brits in Spain. We tried with the language and they laughed at us (endeering not taking the mick) and they helped us. We had bbq's at the house and the only Brits were us. Everyone speaking Spanish, singing, cooking in our kitchen. We were only there for about 18 months and miss it every day. When we left all our Spanish friends cried (and meant it).

I dont want to sound like a dreamer but that was our REAL experience of Spain and the Spanish. Please dont take any notice of people saying that you wont be accepted because if you try to fit in they will love you!! My husband spoke limited Spanish even when we left, mine was much better.

Spain in such a lovely country and there is so much that most Brits miss out on when they visit for their couple of drunken weeks. One area that is really up and coming is the Costa de la Luz. It is on the Spanish/Portuguesse border. Lovely place and you can live on the Spanish side (cheap) and work over the bridge in Portugal (more money and more jobs available). By the way, it is only 15 minute drive from Spain over the border to Portugal. Another option is to live in Spain around the San Roque area as I did and then drive 15 minutes into Gibraltar to work. It all depends what you want to do.

There is nothing more wonderful to see the kids chatting to their friends in Spanish and then coming home and speaking to you in English. It gives them an excellent head start when it comes to them finding work if they are bi lingual.

Anyway keep in touch.

Amanda:)

Nige May 12th 2003 9:49 pm

Yes. Amanda is right. Spain is a great country and it is a marvellous place to bring up a family. And Waff you mentioned 'petty criminals' but I fear that there are also quite a few of them in parts of Spain !
It is also such a large country with so many different cultures and contrasts.
I would agree with Amanda about looking at the Costa de la Luz. This is a very long coastline indeed - all the way from the Algarve to almost Gibraltar. There are two distinct 'parts' - the Huelva province part which is near Portugal, and the Cadiz province part which is towards Gibraltar.

I am unsure what plans you have for work or what you intend to do once in Spain, but you may find a place like El Puerto de Santa Maria which is on the Bay of Cadiz somewhere worth looking at.
Or further along the coast at or near Chiclana.

I have a fairly basic website concerning this area which may help you. Properties are much less expensive compared with some of the other Costas, and I feel you get real value for money. However, if you are looking for work in these parts, unemployment is high and it is very difficult unless you have some skills that are needed.
www.spaincostaluz.com/
Nige

valleygirl May 12th 2003 9:55 pm

Hi Nige where do you stay when you go to Spain!! And what do you do out there?

Sorry Waff for Hijacking your posting!!

Nige May 12th 2003 10:07 pm

Originally posted by valleygirl
Hi Nige where do you stay when you go to Spain!! And what do you do out there?
Well I can only spend a fairly limited number of weeks so far in Andalucia but let us say I enjoy every minute and one day aim to spend more time. So I am learning a new way of life I guess. From Flamenco to Tapas. And enjoying the light !
Nige

tigerlily Mar 17th 2004 10:45 am

Hi Amanda
Have just read your email to Waff with regards to living in Spain. We are like you a family of four and are desperate to get out of britain and be part of a community that appreciates family life. One of the areas you suggested is one that we are looking at - the costa de la luz. it would be great if you could correspond and let us know of more details on the areas which are good to live. Also like you we want to live in a spanish community (my son is already learning spanish) and it was great to hear that you were welcomed.

Please let me know if you are interested in talking about your expereinces.

Anyway hopefully you will be intouch soon.

regards

rachel

I have lived in both English and Spanish areas and from my experience the best place by far was with the Spanish especially if you have kids because they love em!!

My husband and I were really accepted by the local Spanish community because we didnt want to be classed as typical brits in Spain. We tried with the language and they laughed at us (endeering not taking the mick) and they helped us. We had bbq's at the house and the only Brits were us. Everyone speaking Spanish, singing, cooking in our kitchen. We were only there for about 18 months and miss it every day. When we left all our Spanish friends cried (and meant it).

I dont want to sound like a dreamer but that was our REAL experience of Spain and the Spanish. Please dont take any notice of people saying that you wont be accepted because if you try to fit in they will love you!! My husband spoke limited Spanish even when we left, mine was much better.

Spain in such a lovely country and there is so much that most Brits miss out on when they visit for their couple of drunken weeks. One area that is really up and coming is the Costa de la Luz. It is on the Spanish/Portuguesse border. Lovely place and you can live on the Spanish side (cheap) and work over the bridge in Portugal (more money and more jobs available). By the way, it is only 15 minute drive from Spain over the border to Portugal. Another option is to live in Spain around the San Roque area as I did and then drive 15 minutes into Gibraltar to work. It all depends what you want to do.

There is nothing more wonderful to see the kids chatting to their friends in Spanish and then coming home and speaking to you in English. It gives them an excellent head start when it comes to them finding work if they are bi lingual.

Anyway keep in touch.

Amanda:) [/QUOTE]

Chiclanagir Mar 18th 2004 2:24 pm

Really pleased to hear some opinions on Costa de Luz. This is definitely where we will be heading. However, I was a little disappointed in Chiclana town itself, didnt seem as if it had much character, but, the surrounding countryside was beautiful.

We have put our house on the market and are now in that awful waiting period trying to sell. Do we go multi agency and then pay out a packet just to get it moving quickly. Any tips would be appreciated as we cant wait.