British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Help - Social Services in Spain? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/help-social-services-spain-355075/)

daveyboy_daveboy Feb 14th 2006 4:02 pm

Help - Social Services in Spain?
 
Does anyone know if there is an equivalent to British Social Services here in Spain? :confused:
Any information regarding this topic would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Unexpat Feb 14th 2006 5:23 pm

Re: Help - Social Services in Spain?
 

Originally Posted by daveyboy_daveboy
Does anyone know if there is an equivalent to British Social Services here in Spain? :confused:
Any information regarding this topic would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

As in looking after the welfare of children and families, adoption, guardianship, disabilities, etc?

I think you'll find it's down to each autonomous communities' respective legislation and the responsibilities may be split between the comunidad and the ayuntamientos, as almost everything. Servicios de Atención a la Infancia y a la Familia, or Instituto del Menor y la Familia, or similar bodies.

I believe the whole lot comes under the Secretaria de Estado de Servicios Sociales, Familias y Discapacidad, within the Ministry of Employment and Social Services, at national level. The Secretaria has various Directores Generales, for a number of areas within this.

However, bear in mind that, like many areas, the law here is evolving as we speak, to embrace EU directives and standards.

Sorry, can't be more help. Perhaps someone else has had direct experience, but you may have to be a little more specific about the area that you're after and which region. For example, here's the Madrid web site for SS http://www.madrid.org/cs/Satellite?i...=1109266187278 I believe.

Mitzyboy Feb 14th 2006 11:32 pm

Re: Help - Social Services in Spain?
 

Originally Posted by daveyboy_daveboy
Does anyone know if there is an equivalent to British Social Services here in Spain? :confused:
Any information regarding this topic would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Can you be more specific? What are you needing them for?

daveyboy_daveboy Feb 15th 2006 4:33 pm

Re: Help - Social Services in Spain?
 

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Can you be more specific? What are you needing them for?

I live in a block of apartments in Javea on the first floor.
I am registered with walking difficulties, the problem I have is when the lift breaks down in my block walking down the stairs in a nightmare, all the other floors have a railing to hold on to getting up and down, but the last flight has not got anythying ,and there is nothing to hold onto if you have to climb the stairs.
I need something fitted , and I just wondered if Social Services here would do something?
I have mentioned it to the secretary of these apartments, but that was a year and a half ago and still nothing has been done.
I would like help, but will I just have to swalow it and pay for it myself?
Any advice appreciated thanks.

Unexpat Feb 15th 2006 6:42 pm

Re: Help - Social Services in Spain?
 

Originally Posted by daveyboy_daveboy
I live in a block of apartments in Javea on the first floor.
I am registered with walking difficulties, the problem I have is when the lift breaks down in my block walking down the stairs in a nightmare, all the other floors have a railing to hold on to getting up and down, but the last flight has not got anythying ,and there is nothing to hold onto if you have to climb the stairs.
I need something fitted , and I just wondered if Social Services here would do something?
I have mentioned it to the secretary of these apartments, but that was a year and a half ago and still nothing has been done.
I would like help, but will I just have to swalow it and pay for it myself?
Any advice appreciated thanks.

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth :)

I doubt Social Services will get involved. It's more like a health and safety issue. In the event of a fire, you would be at risk of not exiting the building safely.

I take it the apartment is privately owned by you (i.e. not rented). If so, then a further appeal to the building manager with a suggestion that they may be in breach of fire and safety regs and that you will have to take the matter further if the stairs are not appropriately secured with a handrail, may have the desired effect.

Public health and safety would probably be the initial province of the local authority (ayuntamiento). You should make enquiries there. A solicitor may be better able to advise which specific laws are being contravened and who is responsible, if you do not get any joy with a reasonable approach to the council. Once you know the full score, you can apply pressure with an appropriate Denuncia - but be sure you are on solid ground, no pun intended ;)

If you decide to pay and get it done yourself, be sure to keep all building tenenats informed, via the building secretary/manager. You can always just try passing the bill to them after it's done, so you all pay a part. After all, if any other repairs are made to the building, presumably you contribute?

montgomail Feb 16th 2006 8:33 am

Re: Help - Social Services in Spain?
 
It might be worth making an appeal at the next meeting for the Community of Owners. A good administrator would advise the meeting of the legal implications which might mean that the work could be agreed and paid for out of community funds.

daveyboy_daveboy Feb 16th 2006 3:33 pm

Re: Help - Social Services in Spain?
 

Originally Posted by Unexpat
Here's my opinion, for what it's worth :)

I doubt Social Services will get involved. It's more like a health and safety issue. In the event of a fire, you would be at risk of not exiting the building safely.

I take it the apartment is privately owned by you (i.e. not rented). If so, then a further appeal to the building manager with a suggestion that they may be in breach of fire and safety regs and that you will have to take the matter further if the stairs are not appropriately secured with a handrail, may have the desired effect.

Public health and safety would probably be the initial province of the local authority (ayuntamiento). You should make enquiries there. A solicitor may be better able to advise which specific laws are being contravened and who is responsible, if you do not get any joy with a reasonable approach to the council. Once you know the full score, you can apply pressure with an appropriate Denuncia - but be sure you are on solid ground, no pun intended ;)

If you decide to pay and get it done yourself, be sure to keep all building tenenats informed, via the building secretary/manager. You can always just try passing the bill to them after it's done, so you all pay a part. After all, if any other repairs are made to the building, presumably you contribute?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
Good point, about Health & Safety will make sure I use that point.
Regards Mo


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:47 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.