Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Help please - buying 2nd hand motorbike in Spain

Help please - buying 2nd hand motorbike in Spain

Old Dec 7th 2012, 11:31 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help please - buying 2nd hand motorbike in Spain

Hi

I've started this thread as I want to get a second hand motorbike......

............ but............ when I bought my apartment in Spain I heard that any outstanding debt from the previous owner was transferred to me!! The new owner! Unless sorted before sale. My (useless ??) lawyer did not tell me there was a debt! I think that's the first responsibility of a property lawyer - to make sure there are no debts forwarded to the new owner.... = his client! (But what do I know!) I was lumbered with this debt and had to sort it out. It made me VERY cautious!!

So going back to the topic that I started (!) if this is the way things work in Spain, please can you help me through the process of buying a motorbike...

Could you help me with some questions please...?.... I've found a bike to buy.. but I am wary...
  1. How can I be sure that the bike I've got is FULLY mine - with no (e.g) outstanding loan/HP... please? Before you answer, assume the worst, the guy selling has made some bad mistakes.
  2. What about numberplates? Can I simply take his bike (once I have paid?) or do I have to do something else please?
  3. How do I register the bike in my name - please?
  4. Does the registration process check the previous owners, and their loan/HP debt - and if a problem, call me? etc etc..
  5. What is the process when you have bought privately please - and what protections are there? And.... do you have any advice on how I can get the bike - with no existing problems?????

I just want to be 100% sure the bike is mine when buying from a stranger.... I've heard horror-stories in the UK about being conned....

Could anyone help me to get this bike and show me what I have to do to have 100% comfort that the bike has no 'baggage' - and I can ride away into the 'sunset' with no worries...

Thank you
Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Dec 7th 2012 at 11:41 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:21 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help please - buying 2nd hand motorbike in Spain

Hello Jon.
Go and see a Gestor to complete the sale for you (costs a little)
Old Dec 8th 2012, 8:14 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but the last time he did something like that, he got STUFFED! Obviously, he's now wary.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute

I empathise with you and your concerns. For those reasons, and better prices, I chose to buy one from England and import it.
I saved about 2000 euros on the price and spent about 350 on the import process/impuesto plus a new headlight for 110.
We've all been ripped off in various ways since coming to live here so wherever possible I avoid allowing the Spanish the opportunity to screw me further.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 11:04 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loco Pedro
I empathise with you and your concerns. For those reasons, and better prices, I chose to buy one from England and import it.
I saved about 2000 euros on the price and spent about 350 on the import process/impuesto plus a new headlight for 110.
We've all been ripped off in various ways since coming to live here so wherever possible I avoid allowing the Spanish the opportunity to screw me further.
Thanks everyone for the help.

Long and tedious story but I was going to buy a brand new Yamaha 125.. and got totally 'screwed'. It was cheaper in Spain than the UK, I'm guessing with the crisis etc.

Now I am looking at buying second hand and I have a bike offered to me.

I had a 'lawyer' when I bought the home, who really upset me... left me with debts, and I am wary. But a good friend has a Gestor that he fully trusts. Would a good gestor handle all the paperwork and not commit me to any hidden costs? I am happy to pay his fee if this is the case. I've never used a Gestor before.

Thanks again

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Dec 8th 2012 at 11:18 am.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, we all have heard horror stories about "gestors" - so best of luck with your friend's recommendation.
A friend here (Denia) has just celebrated the 2nd anniversary of his application to exchange his UK driving licence for a Spanish licence - using a "gestor" - and he still doesn't have a licence !
Old Dec 8th 2012, 11:27 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Loco Pedro
Unfortunately, we all have heard horror stories about "gestors" - so best of luck with your friend's recommendation.
A friend here (Denia) has just celebrated the 2nd anniversary of his application to exchange his UK driving licence for a Spanish licence - using a "gestor" - and he still doesn't have a licence !
Ohmigosh.... gets worse all the time! I would explain my horror story here about the bikes - but would need to write a chapter!.....

Jon
Old Dec 8th 2012, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

flotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond repute

we bought a car second hand here, but from a family member. however we were surprised at how much it cost to transfer the car to our name as we had to pay tax on the value that the tax people assessed the car to be, also a transfer fee to put the paperwork in our name we did it through the gestor, her fees were reasonable but I do not think she checked for outstanding debt, why don't you go and talk to your friends gestor first to find out what the service involves and a rough cost.