Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

help needed with moving to gran canaria

help needed with moving to gran canaria

Old Aug 24th 2008, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

jon-mel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help needed with moving to gran canaria

hi... we are a couple with 2 kids and a dog and planning to move all of us (inc dog) to gran canaria. so far we cant decide wether to drive or fly... any info on how and what to expect would be greatly appreciated
Old Aug 24th 2008, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help needed with moving to gran canaria

That would be a very wet and uncomfortable drive!

Sorry, That's two days on a ferry plus however long it takes to get to Southern Portugal in the first place. It's going to be costly, and then you will have the hassle of re registering your car when you get there.
Flying must be easier and a lot cheaper.

Last edited by valenciatim; Aug 24th 2008 at 6:51 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

It was just an option we were looking at as its going to cost about £450 for just the dog. Also were not sure about transport from the airport with the dog as im not sure whether she would be allowed on bus.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

I think it will cost you a lot more than that in fuel, tolls and accommodation, + the ferry both ends to drive down, then another probably £500 minimum to re-register the car onto Spanish plates within 90 days of arrival.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Red face Re: help needed with moving to gran canaria

Yes it sounds like a real pain in the butt, i think ill look into renting a car at the airport
Old Aug 24th 2008, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

It would be a big help if anybody has any tips for moving to gran canaria, maybe anyone who is already living there
Old Aug 25th 2008, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

is there much of a motor trade in g.c as i'm a qualified mechanic. i'v seen some main dealers there but only a couple and no independant garages.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jon-mel
is there much of a motor trade in g.c as i'm a qualified mechanic. i'v seen some main dealers there but only a couple and no independant garages.

Mechanics are one of the expat types that seem to survive ,on the main land anyway,not sure about G.C,so good luck,

Rgds

Rotor
Old Aug 25th 2008, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

thanks mate... just need a suit case big enough for the tool box now.lol
Old Aug 25th 2008, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

thanks mate... just need a suit case big enough for the tool box now.lol

Speak to KJM Shipping and Transport in Dover ,google the name for details, they used to ship there regulary,

Rgds

Rotor
Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

again... thanks. thats a load off my mind. or at least one of them
Old Aug 25th 2008, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

were off on a recce very soon to try find jobs, accomadation and pay a visit to the police station. is there any thing else or any where else we should go and look into while there?
Old Aug 25th 2008, 5:56 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

were off on a recce very soon to try find jobs, accomadation and pay a visit to the police station. is there any thing else or any where else we should go and look into while there?

Hi Jon and Mel
I dont know if you saw the FREE BEER thread at the top of the main Spanish forum but there is loads of information in there - perhaps a read in there will help you out
Love Sam xxxxx
Old Aug 25th 2008, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Sam i did have a quick look through but ill check it out a bit more thorough.

Mel
Old Aug 25th 2008, 6:08 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sam i did have a quick look through but ill check it out a bit more thorough.

Mel

Sorry Jon and Mel - i think most people on here seem to have moved to main land Spain so people who are in the know may be few and far between

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.