Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Help needed about Spain

Help needed about Spain

Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:54 pm
Banned

lillia is on a distinguished road
Default Help needed about Spain

Hi I m in the uk at the moment..I am a fulltime career for my daughter who has a terminal health condition. I have been told that the spanish climate would really help her condition. I really want to move but do not know how...to go about it. I claim benifits as she needs care all the time. Does anyone know about the hospital system..I have heard its good. I dream of renting a house and just giving her a better life ...can anyone help me please.

Lillia
Old Apr 18th 2008, 1:12 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed about Spain

Originally Posted by lillia
Hi I m in the uk at the moment..I am a fulltime career for my daughter who has a terminal health condition. I have been told that the spanish climate would really help her condition. I really want to move but do not know how...to go about it. I claim benifits as she needs care all the time. Does anyone know about the hospital system..I have heard its good. I dream of renting a house and just giving her a better life ...can anyone help me please.

Lillia
The best thing to do is ask at the DWP in England and find out if your carers allowance can be moved to Spain with you and go from there.
Spanish health service is excellent once all the paperwork is sorted out.
Loads of properties for rent at the moment and prices should be going down.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Hello there and welcome to the Forum.
Is it actually CA (Carers Allowance),that you recieve or Disability Living Allowance?
Unfortunatly the GB Gov states that these allowances are non-contributary,and "not usually" exportable,HOWEVER theres a footnote,which states that DLA is exportable if claimed since before 1992.
Have a copy of the PDF Guidance notes,which I will pm across to you as an aid to understanding
Hope it turns out I'm wrong,as my heart goes out to you?

Godspeed
Old Apr 18th 2008, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Managed to glean this from the notes: "People claiming AA or DLA on the basis that they are terminally ill are EXEMPT from the rule that they have to be present in GB for 26 weeks out of the last 52 weeks"

Further: "If you are in receipt of CARERS ALLOWANCE in UK you can continue to receive this only if your stay is for less than 4 weeks,OR, if you are going to Spain solely to help the person you care for,AND that person is STILL paid AA or DLA"

So it looks like its do-able,but as JDR says prob best to clarify with DWP

Good luck
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:35 pm
Banned

lillia is on a distinguished road
Default Its Lillia again..

Hi all who answered my post today. I will try and make things clearer.. My daughter get DLA as she has a terminal condition. I get carers allowance also income support.

I want to move there as the climate can help her chest etc. I was thinking of renting etc. I just wondered could everything be transfered there like it is here.

I just want to give her a better life...hope someone can guide me.

Lillia
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:38 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its Lillia again..

Hi there,

Hi, I cant really offer much advice. But just wanted to say Im really sorry to hear about your situation.

I would assume that you can continue receiving all the money as normal despite the fact your in spain. It would still be paid into the your UK bank account. Then just transfer it to a spanish account to pay the bills down here.

Best wishes,
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:45 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all who answered my post today. I will try and make things clearer.. My daughter get DLA as she has a terminal condition. I get carers allowance also income support.

I want to move there as the climate can help her chest etc. I was thinking of renting etc. I just wondered could everything be transfered there like it is here.

Lillia
lillia, just keep adding posts to this thread by clicking on the new reply button, bottom left, there is no need to start a new thread each time.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lillia
Have posted a reply taken directly from the DWP guidance notes re your situation,it states that as your daughter has a terminal condition,she is not subject to the 26 day residency rules,and can stay in Spain 52weeks of the year,with no penalty.
Further to this as your purpose in going to Spain is soley to take care of your daughter,you are not bound by the 4week clause,and can continue to recieve CA.
Not sure about income support,but as it is not contribution based I believe it can be exported,as surely they would have used you CA,and,DLA to make the assesment.
Will have to post a link to the website as I'm told you cant send a PDF in a pm.

Godspeed,and good luck
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Heres the link: www.dwp.gov.uk .
Whilst browsing I came across this:The right to export DLA,AA,and CA,has been backed by the European Court of Justice,ALL claiments who have received any of the above since BEFORE 1 June 1992,AUTOMATICALLY have the right to export. This postion was confirmed in the case of Newton c - 356/89, which ruled that Mobility Allowance, (precursor to DLA),was an invalidity allowance,and therefore FULLY exportable

Furthermore,despite GB's attepmt to make these benefits "special".the ECJ,again ruled against GB,and stated these benefits are exportable.

Here are some contact details: The Exportability Co Ordinator,Room B120D, DCS, Warbreck Hse,Warbreck Hill Rd,FY2 0YE.

Advice line: 0207-833-4627.
Mon -Fri 2.00pm to 4.00pm.

It appears that the answer to your question is yes,(but still double check)
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

george43 will become famous soon enough

Good luck Lillia. I am sure your idea is a good one and I hope you and your daughter make it to Spain.