Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Help with nasty neighbour

Help with nasty neighbour

Old Apr 13th 2010, 10:54 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with nasty neighbour

I think the OP was suggesting that the neighbour was shouting over the fence as in accross the fence and not as in leaning over allthough I could be wrong!
The video cannot be used in court just as a shop video could not be used against you in court if you stole something as video can be edited and therefore is not 100% reliable as evidence...........just to stray off topic a tad (for a change) did you know that if you stole something from a shop they cannot stop you once you leave the premisses!
Old Apr 13th 2010, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcehna
Hi,
I am new to this site but hopefully someone can help me.

We have lived in spain for two years now but moved into a new house in Dec. We have two young children (boys 6 and 3). We have a nice villa with a garden however, the problem is that whenever my kids play in the garden my neighbour shouts abuse at them over the fence. He is really aggressive and swears and scares them silly, so much so that they are too scared to play outside anymore.

Boys will be boys and bar gagging them I can't keep them quiet. They are not being unruly purely playing in the garden. The neighbour in question has done it to others who have rented this property according to the landlord and he says just to ignore him.

That's easier said than done though and I am becoming very upset by the whole thing and don't want to spend time outside myself either. Yesterday after swearing at the top of his voice and giving me the "finger" because my boys were on their bikes on the garden I went to the police who sent someone round to speak to him. Unfortunately he had gone out so that was to no avail as I'm sure they won't bother chasing it up again.

Can anyone suggest what could be done to stop his appalling behaviour?
Thanks
It is a long story, which I will not go into again on this site, but we have had continuing problems with a "neighbour" who lives about 4kms away from us for a couple of years.

We informed the Guardia as soon as the problems started and they have been fantastic. Even though we live 15kms from the town and in the campo they drive up once, sometimes twice, a day. They drive around our property and make sure everything is safe. When we do spot the nutter we call the police and they are with us within 30mins. The Guardia are doing everything possible to have this man sectioned, but as they have told us, it takes time. We have three children under the age of 12.

Anyway my advice is to continually contact the Guardia about this man, and you must say how upsetting this is for your children. It will be the children that the Guardia will be most concerned about. We also visited the school to explain how upset our children were about this man, and the school also called the Guardia to add force to our complain.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
I think the OP was suggesting that the neighbour was shouting over the fence as in accross the fence and not as in leaning over allthough I could be wrong!
The video cannot be used in court just as a shop video could not be used against you in court if you stole something as video can be edited and therefore is not 100% reliable as evidence...........just to stray off topic a tad (for a change) did you know that if you stole something from a shop they cannot stop you once you leave the premisses!
(off topic.... I think itś only once you leave the premises they can stop you, otherwise you could claim you were going to go back & pay... but maybe that's only the UK)

OP - yes take it further with landlord, if he's aware of it and it affected a previous rental he might fear loss of future rentals and/or the prospect of you seeking a rent reduction. Yes go for denuncia. Yes get Spanish friends round - I think I'd play the sneaky card & stay indoors so he didn't even realise they were there, then let the kids go out to play, then assuming he started up, send the adults to experience what's being said & done & make any judgements about what to do & whether they could help.Does the perpetrator own his home or is it rented too? What about tenants/owners the other side of his house? Is your community small enough for other people you know or know well enough to speak to to actually know the man? Any other Germans in the area you might know to speak to?
ps it does sound awful for the kids and you, that sort of thing starts to get under the skin & bring you down - well it does me. Hope something that one of us suggests helps.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:59 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
(off topic.... I think itś only once you leave the premises they can stop you, otherwise you could claim you were going to go back & pay... but maybe that's only the UK)
I think that too - I wonder who's right? It's quite an important difference!

The original post implies that if you grab something and run, if you make it outside you've got away with it. I think I'll do my shopping like that in future - I'm quite a quick mover.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 10:27 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

snip
Yes that's the UK law.........think of a UK law, change everything back to front, up-side down & inside out and you've then got the equivalent law in Spanish. lol
Old Apr 13th 2010, 11:43 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
I think that too - I wonder who's right? It's quite an important difference!

The original post implies that if you grab something and run, if you make it outside you've got away with it. I think I'll do my shopping like that in future - I'm quite a quick mover.
Yes that's the UK law.........think of a UK law, change everything back to front, up-side down & inside out and you've then got the equivalent law in Spanish. lol
OK I'll try it then and let you know what happens. If you don't hear from me for a bit come and bail me out
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:52 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshviking

That's my passport pic!
I bloody wish!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:37 am
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

I See, so that's why the security guard in waitrose won't let the kids drink fruit shoots on the way round. (It keeps them quiet and we pay for the empty bottles after) Well, we used to before they stopped us. Now we don't buy them from there.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:16 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I bloody wish!
me and you both love
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Granadaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Here in Granada they take this type of thing very seriously especially when it is man on woman. The Guardia Civil detained a friends neighbour for swearing and threatening his wife during a row, the neighbour denounced him and the Guardia took him to the station , kept him in for 14 hours and then formally cautioned him. I do not know if there was more to it but it sounds the right cure for your nasty neighbour problem. It might give him time to reflect as that does not sound like a fun night out!! Good luck