British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   help! moving to spain in feb 2017 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/help-moving-spain-feb-2017-a-887523/)

dhillon Nov 16th 2016 1:53 pm

help! moving to spain in feb 2017

Hello new member here. Coming to spain in feb 2017 to buy a property in s.e. spain. Wil be using my share of divorce to fund the move.

I am hoping to rent it as short term holidays lets and live in a one bed for periods that it is rented out. Then live there when it is not rented out.

Any one see any problems with this? I am 50 now.

Danny

Pulaski Nov 16th 2016 1:56 pm

Re: help! moving to spain in feb 2017

You're planning to rent out as a holiday let while continuing to live in one bedroom, actually be there while it is rented? :unsure:

Rosemary Nov 16th 2016 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by dhillon (Post 12106572)
Hello new member here. Coming to spain in feb 2017 to buy a property in s.e. spain. Wil be using my share of divorce to fund the move.

I am hoping to rent it as short term holidays lets and live in a one bed for periods that it is rented out. Then live there when it is not rented out.

Danny

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

dhillon Nov 16th 2016 2:05 pm

Yes, I will be renting out the whole property out whilst I stay else were (one bed with shared kitchen/lounge etc). I dont need a mortgage.

Danny

Pulaski Nov 16th 2016 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by dhillon (Post 12106581)
Yes, I will be renting out the whole property out whilst I stay else were (one bed with shared kitchen/lounge etc). ....

I am still confused - it sounds like you won't be renting out the whole property? :confused:

dhillon Nov 16th 2016 2:16 pm

Maybe I am not making it clear. Looking to buy 3 bed property walking distance to coast in S.E. spain with communal pool. Summer rentals upto 1800 euros and winter 1200 euros. Yes the WHOLE property will be put on short term let. This will give me more than enough to live on. When the property is rented out I will be living else were in a one bed propery with shared access to kitchen and lounge. When the property is not rented out I will be staying there. Hope this helps.

Danny

Loafing Along Nov 16th 2016 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by dhillon (Post 12106572)

Danny

If we have it right there are two properties involved, one owned and one small one bed which you live in while main house/apartment rented out.
Costa del Sol demand shifting to long term rentals as uncertainity about Brexit and weak sterling mean people being more cautious / waiting to see what happens. Short term rentals also complicated by local legislation on holiday lets, long list of requirements not least of which is pressure from Spanish taxman.
I imagine other regions same thing happening.

Pica Nov 16th 2016 2:22 pm

Can you guarantee that you'll get enough bookings to pay all your expenses?

Pulaski Nov 16th 2016 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by dhillon (Post 12106592)
Maybe I am not making it clear. Looking to buy 3 bed property walking distance to coast in S.E. spain with communal pool. Summer rentals upto 1800 euros and winter 1200 euros. Yes the WHOLE property will be put on short term let. This will give me more than enough to live on. When the property is rented out I will be living else were in a one bed property with shared access to kitchen and lounge. ....

This is what's confusing me - it sounds like you're still going to be accessing the kitchen and lounge of the "whole property" that you have rented out? ..... That doesn't sound like you have rented the whole property, because if I rent a "whole property" for a holiday, I don't expect to find the landlord stewing cabbage in the kitchen or slouched on the sofa watching Sky Sports.

Pica Nov 16th 2016 2:31 pm

I think she/he is renting elsewhere while renting out THE property but only has access to shared facilities apart from a bedroom? I could be wrong-frequently am.

dhillon Nov 16th 2016 2:36 pm

Yes. Yes have seen bookings taken for exactly similar property on same development. Look on homeaway.com or airbnb.com

Any way my question is does anyone see a problem with this? Dont want to apply for residency just yet. Will I have to declare rental?

dhillon Nov 16th 2016 2:46 pm

Let me try to make this clear - the property I am buying (only buying ONE) will be rented as a WHOLE short term holiday let property.

The OTHER I will NOT own - I will only BEING pay rent for a one bed with shared access to kitchen and lounge.

Confusing my self now lol!

Pulaski Nov 16th 2016 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by dhillon (Post 12106612)
Let me try to make this clear - the property I am buying (only buying ONE) will be rented as a WHOLE short term holiday let property.

The OTHER I will NOT own - I will only BEING pay rent for a one bed with shared access to kitchen and lounge. ....

I thought I understood, until you posted this clarification. :lol:

To which kitchen and lounge? .... The ones in the "whole property"?

Loafing Along Nov 16th 2016 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12106618)
I thought I understood, until you posted this clarification. :lol:

To which kitchen and lounge? .... The ones in the "whole property"?

This is one of the all time great threads ,,,, clarification being impossible because no one understands where the shared kitchen and lounge is .:thumbsup:

Loafing Along Nov 16th 2016 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by dhillon (Post 12106605)
Yes. Yes have seen bookings taken for exactly similar property on same development. Look on homeaway.com or airbnb.com

Any way my question is does anyone see a problem with this? Dont want to apply for residency just yet. Will I have to declare rental?

Yes you need to declare the rental. As a Non-resident return has to made very three months on rentals.