Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Help-How long can I stay in spain if not working

Help-How long can I stay in spain if not working

Old Mar 14th 2006, 8:15 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help-How long can I stay in spain if not working

Originally Posted by Unexpat
*nod*

I have never had a problem with speaking Castellano in Valencia, Paês Vasco, or around Barcelona. I am always puzzled why people on expat sites always worry about these "dead" languages. .

Edit: Why does this site mutate my accented characters, btw? For example grave i becomes circumflex e? Crazy. Anyone know? Is it the default font character set that is the problem? Perhaps I need to experiment with alternative fonts.

Valenciano is alive & kicking & enjoying a revival!. All children in the Valencian Community, even spanish nationals at private International/English schools, are by law taught in Valenciano for a certian number of hours each week.

as to typo accents.......I've just given up!!!
Old Mar 14th 2006, 3:42 pm
Experience 5* rating

Costa-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant future

So are you saying that you can live in Spain if you support yourself and do not need to become a resident.

I am moving out this year and am supporting myself in Spain ie I will pay for private medical, my son is going to private school and I will have an income from the UK. I am not retired or on disability.

Do I have to be a resident to do this, the reason I ask is that I have a medical condition that is complicated and requires regular blood tests and regular medication. Because of the condition I get free prescriptions in the UK and would like to keep my english consultant but if I apply for residencia I understand that through your NI this would all stop in the UK and I would be classed as a visitor here, something I would like to avoid if I can but am not sure what the regulations are.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Costa-Convert
So are you saying that you can live in Spain if you support yourself and do not need to become a resident.

I am moving out this year and am supporting myself in Spain ie I will pay for private medical, my son is going to private school and I will have an income from the UK. I am not retired or on disability.

Do I have to be a resident to do this, the reason I ask is that I have a medical condition that is complicated and requires regular blood tests and regular medication. Because of the condition I get free prescriptions in the UK and would like to keep my english consultant but if I apply for residencia I understand that through your NI this would all stop in the UK and I would be classed as a visitor here, something I would like to avoid if I can but am not sure what the regulations are.

Any help would be appreciated.
As I understand it, If you spend more than 180 days in spain in any one year, you are technically considered resident there for tax purposes and will be liable to wealth tax etc. Residency and Tax Domicility are considered synonymous in Spain (unlike the UK).

How you will be assessed is another question, open to some debate. Sooner, or later, the Hacienda may catch up with you, if you leave tracks that attract their attention, at which point you may be looking at having to prove where you were domiciled in the past and may be assessed for a cumulative bill.

Note, I am not by any means advocating tax evasion (as opposed to tax avoidance, which is quite legal and everyone's duty ), just pointing out that there are probably gaps in the system, but that sooner, or later, you may be forced to make a choice through circumstances and have to deal with the fall-out.

Typically what may happen is that you end up paying tax twice on income and assets, both in the UK and in Spain and will be unable to claim back from either if both consider you to be resident/domiciled in their country for tax purposes.

I am not a professional financial person of any sort, so the above is only what I personally believe the position to be. Best recommendation would be to find a financial adviser who understands intimately the laws in both countries and in Europe and can apply these to your specific situation, income and assets. Then come here and tell us about it so we can learn ourselves

http://www.direct.gov.uk/BritonsLivi...ad/Money/fs/en
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/residencedomicile.htm
Old Jul 9th 2006, 12:06 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

This is a very interesting thread for me as there are some good sites mentioned, which I have put into my favourites for reference. My thanks to the people who have contributed these

Countryboy..we are moving to live on an urbanisation just outside Castalla (Castalla International) is that anywhere near you? I think we wil be about 20 mins from Alicante also.

Lin