Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Help Green Swimming Pool

Help Green Swimming Pool

Old Jul 15th 2008, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Shoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to all
Default Help Green Swimming Pool

I am having a terrible nightmare with our swimming pool it looks like a green swamp. It was crystal clear last summer but this year it is causing us all types of problems. I have put in the correct dosage of chlorine, algaecide and floctulant and all the PH levels are fine. Please can anyone advise me the best treatment for this problem and what products to buy as I am totally confused as to why nothing is happening. I have kept the pump going 24/7 and backwashed every day. Look forward to your replies.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 4:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Green Swimming Pool

Sounds like you need to give it a shock chlorine treatment direct to the pool water

Look here
http://askalanaquestion.com/blue-green_pool_algae.htm
Old Jul 15th 2008, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

backwashing is counter productive as you are flushing to waste all the stored cloro. Buy some cloro rapido (18e for 5 kg) & put in 5 cup fulls in skimmer, pump on 24 hrs, ph ok, 24 hrs later its clear or I´ll come & drink it! don´t backwash or you waste all that cloro.

Best not swim in it with such hi cloro levels - yr hair will turn green.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 5:33 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poolboy
ok, 24 hrs later its clear or I´ll come & drink it!
Ohhhhhh I'm looking forward to an update on this one
Old Jul 15th 2008, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

ok i won´t drink it cos it only went green cos the kids wee d in it!

seriously, you can spend shed loads of cash on pool chems & its all a bit of a waste. Just use straight cloro (60e for 25 kg) plus ph- or +, plus a cup full of cloro rapido each week to keep your free cloro up & Robertos your tio.

Hope it helps, sorry to all those pool shop owners who sell all sorts of solutions to all sorts of problems.

Cheers
Old Jul 15th 2008, 5:48 pm
Senior Moment

ok i won´t drink it cos it only went green cos the kids wee d in it!

seriously, you can spend shed loads of cash on pool chems & its all a bit of a waste. Just use straight cloro (60e for 25 kg) plus ph- or +, plus a cup full of cloro rapido each week to keep your free cloro up & Robertos your tio.

Hope it helps, sorry to all those pool shop owners who sell all sorts of solutions to all sorts of problems.

Cheers
Oh agreed, I think thats what I was suggesting in effect wasn't it, although I'm certainly no expert!!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 6:08 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

backwashing is counter productive as you are flushing to waste all the stored cloro. Buy some cloro rapido (18e for 5 kg) & put in 5 cup fulls in skimmer, pump on 24 hrs, ph ok, 24 hrs later its clear or I´ll come & drink it! don´t backwash or you waste all that cloro.

Best not swim in it with such hi cloro levels - yr hair will turn green.
Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Ohhhhhh I'm looking forward to an update on this one
could we get photos off the green pool and then blue pool please
my hair keep going blond ......! think brain is two
ja ja ja
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Oh agreed, I think thats what I was suggesting in effect wasn't it, although I'm certainly no expert!!

I had green algae, basically I did two things

reduce the acidity by add PH+, ( apparently green algae love an acidic PH), and then I put in the blue algicide, cleared the pool in about 12 hours

You can actually see the effects of the PH+ immediately as you throw the liquid in the pool.

I now keep the Chloro leve a tad higher, and also keep the PH within limits but at the high end, had no problems since sparkling pool!!

There are some recommendations to Chloro shock the pool but then it cant be used until you get the levels right again

See here, http://www.poolcenter.com/algae.htm for more informed info
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:30 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
There are some recommendations to Chloro shock the pool but then it cant be used until you get the levels right again

See here, http://www.poolcenter.com/algae.htm for more informed info
He says they used algacide, and the ph levels are fine, hence shock treatment seems to be recommended
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

He says they used algacide, and the ph levels are fine, hence shock treatment seems to be recommended
Yep I agree, but I am suggesting move the PH well out of range(high) which will hasten the process, use the algacide to kill off and then bring PH back under control. Which worked for me, but as I said there is more informed opinion on various sites.

I found Chloro shocking took ages to get the levels back down to prevent the wifes hair going orange!!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:52 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
I found Chloro shocking took ages to get the levels back down to prevent the wifes hair going orange!!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Shoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to all

Thanks for all your replies and hopefully within the next few days I will have a sparkling pool again
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:10 am
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Shoptilludrop
Thanks for all your replies and hopefully within the next few days I will have a sparkling pool again
photos please
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Pool beginning to look a lot better, can actually see the bottom of the pool but still a little cloudy. What product will actually work quickly and clear this up ASAP as kids are desperate to use the pool. All pool readings are OK.

Thanks again for all your input.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Once algae is killed off and once the pH levels and Cl levels are right, clear the cloudy water with flocculant but dont then filter it out. Add flocculant and leave a day or so without pumping til you get a blanket of sludge on the bottom. Set up the pump to go straight to waste, not through the filter and attach the hoover head to suction, close off the bottom valve and hoover sludge straight to waste.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.