Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

help - considering moving to spain? 2 young kids anyone offer advice?

help - considering moving to spain? 2 young kids anyone offer advice?

Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help - considering moving to spain? 2 young kids anyone offer advice?

I think people are right in warning off the OP from coming to Spain because it is difficult

However, many of us on here have good jobs in Spain, so isnt it a bit hypercritical?

Although if I am correct almost all Brits who have a job on this forum are self-employed or has a job linked to the UK. Is that a correct assumption and if so is that good advice to give someone? i.e. set up your own company in something people want or make sure you bring a source of work from the UK?
Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:45 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help - considering moving to spain? 2 young kids anyone offer advice?

Originally Posted by cricketman
I think people are right in warning off the OP from coming to Spain because it is difficult

However, many of us on here have good jobs in Spain, so isnt it a bit hypercritical?

Although if I am correct almost all Brits who have a job on this forum are self-employed or has a job linked to the UK. Is that a correct assumption and if so is that good advice to give someone? i.e. set up your own company in something people want or make sure you bring a source of work from the UK?
But wouldnt you say that most of those people came over here during a different time? When Spain was cheaper, when it was growing, newer, easier and when there wasnt a recesssion

Jo xxx
Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
But wouldnt you say that most of those people came over here during a different time? When Spain was cheaper, when it was growing, newer, easier and when there wasnt a recesssion

Jo xxx
That's a good question, I dont know.

I am also interested in how many British people who live in Spain depend on other British people to make a living. Those who would have little or no income if a lot of Brits went home.

I saw good news on TV last night though, there has been a 10% increase in Brits coming to Spain on holiday. The Spanish news predictably accompanied the news with pictures of fat, bald men with their shirts off wearing socks and sandles Does the increase in British tourists help British people with jobs in Spain?
Old Jun 24th 2010, 1:18 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

True, but if you lost your job tomorrow how easy would it be to find another?
Old Jun 24th 2010, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

As others have said...now really is NOT the time for moving a young family to Spain. Unless you have a good income already in place and a lot of savings.
If you wish to save money and have your children bi-lingual, then I suggest sending them to one of the many private bi-lingual schools that exist in the UK. And if you desire your Ex to suffer...then send her to Spain!
Hopefully your friends here will set you straight on the reality of the situation here. Good Luck.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

cat6 has a brilliant futurecat6 has a brilliant futurecat6 has a brilliant futurecat6 has a brilliant futurecat6 has a brilliant futurecat6 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pete_l
You'd really have to aim for the big cities if you want a proper job in a hospital or office. And in that case it'll be hot and sticky in the summer and you'll be too busy working to get down to the resorts - except for a couple of weeks a year - which makes it just like living in England, except for the heat .. and the spaniards.
This is a very CdS-centric comment, IMHO. I live in the north, in a city, and am less than an hour from the beach. What about Bilbao - great place to be if you're in the logistics biz, and you're right next to fantastic countryside, beaches, you name it. They also have international schools (if that's your thing) and really good colegios concertados too.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 8:43 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Does the increase in British tourists help British people with jobs in Spain?
I dont think it does in particular, cos I believe the days of British holiday makers coming to Spain hoping to find a British bar/restaurant/shope etc are gone! But it obviously helps the tourist industry, which helps the Spanish economy

Jo xxxx