Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

help - considering moving to spain? 2 young kids anyone offer advice?

help - considering moving to spain? 2 young kids anyone offer advice?

Old Jun 23rd 2010, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help - considering moving to spain? 2 young kids anyone offer advice?

Anyway I personally havent used either for over 10 years.
So you haven't really any personal experience of either?

Although my family's experience of health care in the UK is appaling, mistake after mistake, luckily noone has died though I guess.
Unfortunately, I have been on the receiving end of major operations, intensive care etc, and never really had a problem, we can only speak as we find.
I personally can't understand anyone who would want to move over, work and bring kids up Spain even though they know little about the country, dont speak the language and have no links to Spain. Maybe they are deluded from memories of their holidays!? Why do they think it will be any better than the UK?
For once we are in agreement, many looking to move to Spain are deluded, with completely false expectations. Wanting to escape from one's ex, is for me, not the best reason for wanting to move to Spain. After reading these type of forums for many years, I have seen hundreds of similar cases of people asking for advice about moving to Spain, and despite the negative comments in this thread, it's probably not what the OP wants to hear, so they'll ignore it and go anyway. IMHO, any couple with both having jobs in UK, would be absolutely mad to consider going to Spain at the moment with no promise, and no hope of a job. But they probably will!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 8:55 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: help - considering moving to spain? 2 young kids anyone offer advice?

Hi

In my experience..the education system is OK..no way better than the UK though.

Yesterday, we went to a meeting at the secondary school our daughter would join in September. So not impressed !!

The only good thing about the spanish education system is that they push Maths..so are about a year ahead of the UK but everything else is lacking.

We actually want to come back mainly because of the Education.

However I would recommend that anyone who can afford it, come for a few years while children are very young..not 9 or 10 which is too old. Yikkes it can really backfire and cause more problems than it´s worth. Me and Jojo can vouch for that!

If you just want to escape from the EX, can you not move to another place in the UK?

Last edited by manamama; Jun 23rd 2010 at 8:58 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

pain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud of

As a Londoner with Spanish family and the experience of coming here all my life (to Barcelona), I moved over lock stock and barrell 8 years ago. I wasn´t looking for a dream as Spain was already my second home, I was 40 and I felt I wanted to spend my later years in my father´s country, aside from this my parents had retired here 3 years earlier and I missed them. I thought I knew all there was to know about Barcelona, and Spain in general, I was very very wrong. Back them, I did all the possible research I could, assumed I´d pick up work easily with Spanish language skills with it being a large cosmopolitan city, again I was wrong! The luck I had was buying my flat cheap and having some cash left over to live on, without that we would have returned home within a year. I´ve been lucky to find jobs but with the very low wages and insecurity of temporary contracts (although a new labour reform has just been passed to try to rectify this) I´ve been out of work much more than in it. Renting my flat to tourists has saved us from having no income at all. My parents warned me not to come, despite wanting me nearby but being a stubborn type and thinking I knew it all, I moved anyway and for the first year it was very exciting. Now I am planning to sell or rent out my flat and move back it saddens me deeply to leave, I still love Barcelona and Spain but there´s a lot I´ve come to hate and despise. My hardest choice is leaving my parents, although they are convinced I´ll end up coming back, which I cannot totally discount as being here is just as much in my blood as being back home in London. I left a good job to move here and sold my house which would have increased in value, these I regret. If I move back, I will also be giving up a job, although lowly paid and my flat is going down in value due to the dire straights that Spain is now in. I wont have the hope and anticipation I had moving here when I go back to London, I know it so well and pretty much know what is in store. I too have read may posts of those wanting to move here, often with no language skills or contacts, it is often a big mistake but as I´ve done it myself I know that nobody could have talked me out of it. Life is for living, making mistakes is a big part of it. If I´d stayed put in London I would have been very miserable all these years hankering after my life in Barcelona and it would have no doubt had a negative effect on my life. Either way, I had to do what I did and I have learned an awful lot about Spain and the Spanish and myself too!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:34 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
oooooopss, sorry lol I bet it was still warm tho!!

Jo xxx
it was freezing - well for these mostly Spanish & Spanishified kids anyway

it did dry up & the sun came out later though
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pain-in-spain
it is often a big mistake but as I´ve done it myself I know that nobody could have talked me out of it.
That's very much the point I was making, people ask for advice, hoping to hear all the good things, but when they don't, only hear the negatives, like you, they'll go anyway! At least they have been warned, they can't say nobody told me I'd never find a job.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

pain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by agoreira
That's very much the point I was making, people ask for advice, hoping to hear all the good things, but when they don't, only hear the negatives, like you, they'll go anyway! At least they have been warned, they can't say nobody told me I'd never find a job.
When I moved here there were no forums like this (well, I didn´t find them anyway) so I had nobody to discuss any concerns with. Although I would have still come, I would have at least been more informed and prepared for certain things that instead came as total shocks. I think most people posting for advice are just doing it as a by the way and to see their thoughts in black and white, which although helpful is not the same as the life experience itself.Aside from this, when I moved here Spain was still in it´s glory days, property was booming and to an outsider it would have seemed like Nirvana. This was the beginning of the problems and only with the experience of working here and seeing the reality and duality of the Spanish lifestyle, gradually the penny (or cent) started to drop. The way of life here has not been based on a sound economy but on foreign investment from much more stable countries, the Spanish have done little themselves but have relied on those from northern Europe bringing in their hard earned cash and buying up the over inflated properties. Even a place like Barcelona is almost totally sustained by tourism and this is one of the reasons I have come to hate it. The locals are pushed aside and greed is the order of the day. The Spanish have not experienced a property crisis before, until now all they have known is property increases and as they put all their eggs in one basket, the walls are tumbling down. The reason why it appears that most Spanish have a good quality of life (to the outsider) is that most bought their flats many years ago when they were dirt cheap and nobody else wanted them, they have made serious money on this and this is why it´s common for a normal working class family to have a city flat and one on the coast, something only the seriously rich would have in the UK. The present generation and those to come will be living a very different life with much less luxuries and no work prospects at all - this is a country with a long long history of high unemployment and cannot be blamed on the global situation that has affected other countries.
For anyone serious about moving here, take a look a the Sunday Times online article published 20 June, it´s a damming article about how the fiesta is now over and Spain is in huge difficulties, many comments to this article say they will shed no tears as Spain deserves it´s bleak future due to all the EU hand outs it´s received and done nothing to contribute, it´s quite surprising to see all the negative comments Spain is getting now after all the years of it being the golden country with a near paradise like lifestyle, frightening how the tables can so dramatically turn.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pain-in-spain
it´s quite surprising to see all the negative comments Spain is getting now after all the years of it being the golden country with a near paradise like lifestyle, frightening how the tables can so dramatically turn.
Yes Britian has always had a love hate relationship with Spain going back hundreds of years. British and Spanish people and culture are so similar in many ways but are based on quite different philosophies (probably down the Catholic Protestant thing).

Property is THE number one problem in Spain. And for the UK, but even more so in Spain.

If you halved property prices overnight, back to where they were 10 years ago then salaries would start to look higher and young people could see themselves having a proper life. I'm hopeful we are going to see this correction over the next few years.

As you say, I know middle income Spanish families who live what many Brits would call a millionaire lifestyle all because of property. With a flat in the city, another in their old village and a newer property out on the Coast and spreading their weekends and holidays across the three.

But then many many Brits are in Spain thanks to the property boom too!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 1:09 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

2 very good posts from Pain in Spain.

I know lost of Spanish who are living with doom and gloom thinking not so much about themselves, but their childrens future.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Nathan27 is just really niceNathan27 is just really niceNathan27 is just really niceNathan27 is just really niceNathan27 is just really niceNathan27 is just really niceNathan27 is just really niceNathan27 is just really nice

Thank you all for your comments even though they are mainly negative. We will use the information and points against the advice and feedback from our friends. We will then research as much as we can before making a decision. I am suprised the comments are so negative but appreciate your honesty.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 5:19 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Nathan, I bet you wish you'd never asked LOL. In all honesty, its the kids that are the difficulty and if you're anything like I was, you're doing it for them. If it was just two grown ups, you could sink or swim much easier. Goo dluck in your decision tho

Jo xxx
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

If you can come up with the € to live on - and it's a mighty big if - and alongside that if you have some thought to how you'd cope if you found it best to return to the UK (and that's another not inconsiderable if) I'd say go for it. Ok there are plenty of downsides (let's not bother to list them again, we all disagree on some and agree on others) but for kids growing up in 2010 onwards, I still maintain Spanish, Arabic, Chinese & English are the languages in which to attempt to achieve fluency if you want a leg-up in jobs, business, politics, etc etc. Is there a better way than immersion in a Spanish speaking country?
Old Jun 24th 2010, 5:54 am
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Moving to Spain for us has been the most stressful and costly thing we've ever done!! Yes, there are moments of relaxing, but overall its been traumatic and hard work. Possibly the difficulties we've had have been caused by my husband commuting to the UK to work as there isnt anything here. Money has been tight due to the exchange rate and the myth that living in Spain is cheap - it isnt - believe me, its no fun here without a decent income!! My son is at an international school (yes, it costs, but at his age, it was the only option) and is happy, my daughter hates it. She's in a state school, refuses to learn the language, hates the other kids, still misses her uk friends and life and has recently been caught skiving, smoking and hanging around the local skate park - where apparently the drug dealers hang out - not good - she's just turned 13!!!!! This is still an on going problem and I'm not sure how to deal with it

I guess, as I say, this has all been made worse by my husband not being around much and everything seems to have gone wrong for us in the last 6 months, floods and landslides meant we were trapped in our house for several days at a time, our dog died, my son tore a ligament in his leg, husband couldnt get over cos of snow, ash, our entrance gate got jammed, I broke my leg, the washing machine broke, my daughter skiving...........

I still love it here, but its not the dream that I was expecting and once the novelty has worn off, its no better than the UK, its much harder cos the language is a problem and the rules and red tape are so different. Sometimes the thought of going back to the UK are appealing, just to be able to relax and understand life again - and we'd be financially much better off there

Sorry if I sound grumpy, but you should come to Spain because you want to be here and not to escape the UK, which from where I'm sitting aint that bad

Jo xxxx

you have said it all in a nutshell...... I lived in spain for a couple of years, I didnt have to work but.....methinks its a lovely dream IF you dont have to work.... you have enough dosh not to have to worry about money and then you can sit round the pool and enjoy Spain.
But to uproot and take your kids, phew......... tooooo risky the way that spains is at the mo, please please really think about it.........
Old Jun 24th 2010, 6:55 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
you have said it all in a nutshell...... I lived in spain for a couple of years, I didnt have to work but.....methinks its a lovely dream IF you dont have to work.... you have enough dosh not to have to worry about money and then you can sit round the pool and enjoy Spain.
But to uproot and take your kids, phew......... tooooo risky the way that spains is at the mo, please please really think about it.........
in other words dont EVEN think about it...................

IMO it would be madness..............sorry but in your circumstances that is the truth.

Cheers
Old Jun 24th 2010, 9:00 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with fionaw...Spain is great for kids because of the exposure to a new language.

But it needs to be in their very early years.

My youngest who is only 2 and a half, she goes to a spanish nursery 4 hours a day and inter-changes spanish and english when she speaks. Her language and vocabulary is amazing..far far more articulate than my other children who only had English at this age.

So if anyone can afford it..not worry about work for a few years, come to Spain while the children are 1 or 2 and put them in a spanish nursery, watch spanish tv instead of english.

Even if it´s just for a few years, it sets them for language learning in the future.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nathan27
Hi all,

We are thinking of moving to spain. We have talked about it as a family before but due to the fact i hate my current job and one or two other changes in personal circumstances if we are going to give it a go we need to put things in place before it is too late. Fear of it failing and effecting my kids is the concern i'm sure all parents have gone through. Both my partner and i are just starting to learn the basics of the language and we have a few things to sort at home in UK. We have set a time scale of 12-24 months to have made the move. My partners experience is in Care (hopsitals and nursing homes and she is currently a childminder (very successful one as well). My experience is in logistics/distribution (tansport manager/Admin)but not speaking the language as yet i appreciate this isn't an option for me job wise. I can however tile and plaster so i thought tiling would be an option but appreciate the Spanish should be pretty hot at this. We are thinking of keeping our home in the UK and renting it out (just in case we struggle getting work and we have to return). Can any one offer any support or advice. I have 2 children (2 and 7). How hard will it be for them? friends etc. Any young families out there wish to share their story as to how they coped?
Hi

I suggest that you bring at least 20k euro with you for the first year as its very unlikley you will find work ,it`s very tough out here for the Spanish as well, treat it like a once in a life time break and you wont be dissapointed.
And dont forget to keep a good reserve in case you have to return to the UK.

Good Luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.