Reload this Page >

Help choosing a city

Help choosing a city

Old Jan 12th 2015, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

mah88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help choosing a city

Originally Posted by NewCaledonia
Jerez/Cadiz are like ground zero for unemployment. And housing is in general quite expensive (to the local economy) in the province due to several factors (Cadiz city which virtually an island, Gibraltar, Rota US Air Base, very upscale areas like Sotogrande). The airport is a joke (very few flights)

Seville is not on the coast; weather is far more extreme. Cold in winter and VERY hot in summer. I don't think it is good for an old person.

Huelva: nothing to do and very polluted (chemical industry).

Malaga could be OK; but I will go with Valencia. Housing in the city is very cheap; probably the cheapest for its size in Spain. I am not familiar with the job market, but it shouldn't be worse than Andalucia (= ground zero).

Valencia is a bit more cosmopolitan than Malaga and Seville. By any means, Valencia is Spain's 3rd largest city (even it is in another league to Madrid or Barcelona); but definitely ahead of Seville or Malaga.

Something good about Valencia is the location. It has great train connections to both Madrid and Barcelona (like +1h and +2h.) so you could go back and forth in the day (for instance, job interviews), and an airport with many connections (of course Malaga is larger but no Seville). Andalucia is more remote to Europe and the rest of Spain.

Of course Barcelona would be better (specially to find a job), but cost-wise Barcelona to Valencia is another different planet.
Many thanks for this! I found it very helpful.

I think this confirms what I was saying that Barcelona and Valencia have to be our top choices with Malaga as an outside choice.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Valenica, every time. Its position is fabulous. Mainland yet with links to the islands. A city but without the number of crooks and thieves Barcelona has.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horlics
Valenica, every time. Its position is fabulous. Mainland yet with links to the islands. A city but without the number of crooks and thieves Barcelona has.
Seriously? Sorry I know I really should ignore posts like this but I cannot resist

Valencia is the corruption capital of Spain. That's partly why property is so cheap at the moment. There are 10,000s of empty homes littered around the capital which have made a lot of politicians and their mates very rich

I was offered a job in Valencia and didnt like the city personally. The old town feels very touristy, although Barcelona is even worse in this respect. Malaga is actually the least touristy out of the three cities. Within Spain, Valencia has the reputation of being very chavvy. Full of people who have made money dishonestly and kids who aspire to be Cristiano Ronaldo without the footballing talent

In terms of where you will find a job... that depends on your qualifications, experience and language skills
Old Jan 13th 2015, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

CM, seriously. Why would I joke? Why even ask that question. If you have a recommendation to make then make it, by why always snipe at other people's posts.

You really are a shaft and join just 2 others on my ignore list. Congrats.

Originally Posted by cricketman
Seriously? Sorry I know I really should ignore posts like this but I cannot resist

Valencia is the corruption capital of Spain. That's partly why property is so cheap at the moment. There are 10,000s of empty homes littered around the capital which have made a lot of politicians and their mates very rich

I was offered a job in Valencia and didnt like the city personally. The old town feels very touristy, although Barcelona is even worse in this respect. Malaga is actually the least touristy out of the three cities. Within Spain, Valencia has the reputation of being very chavvy. Full of people who have made money dishonestly and kids who aspire to be Cristiano Ronaldo without the footballing talent

In terms of where you will find a job... that depends on your qualifications, experience and language skills
Old Jan 13th 2015, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

NewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cricketman

I see your point. But...

Costa del Sol is extremely corrupt as well. Just a different type. Valencia is more regional/endogamic and CdS more local councils/internationalized.

Valencia has a reputation for being "chavvy". I agree. I know exactly the kind of people you are thinking about. But Malaga too! Just a different flavor. Probably the Valencian chavs are just more notorious / famous.

It is not like Malaga is Zurich. They are different kinds of "chaviness" and corruption. You can feel more comfortable with one or another, but I don't think it makes a big difference for the OP.