Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

hello newbie here

hello newbie here

Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:35 am
Just Joined

choirfran is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hello newbie here

Hello everyone im new to this site im finding it difficult as im not very computer literate. My husband and i are starting the process of buying a property in spain but dont know where would be the best place to buy, any information would be helpful.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hello newbie here

Hello choirfan, nice to meet you! Why are you buying a property in Spain, is it just for holidays or do you want to live here permanently?
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Hello choirfan, nice to meet you! Why are you buying a property in Spain, is it just for holidays or do you want to live here permanently?
Hello pocaloca probably to live for a few months at a time and maybe rent it out the rest. We would love to live there but my husband couldnt work there. How long have you beem living there and where are you from in britain.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's probably best to come and have a good look round before committing yourselves, because the market is very slow at the moment. That means prices are low, and still falling, so there are bargains - but it also means if you buy something and it turns out not to be quite what you want, you probably won't be able to sell it again!

The Canaries is probably a good place to start looking, because you can get holiday lets all year round. But do come and rent a place for a while first.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Well, it's probably best to come and have a good look round before committing yourselves, because the market is very slow at the moment. That means prices are low, and still falling, so there are bargains - but it also means if you buy something and it turns out not to be quite what you want, you probably won't be able to sell it again!

The Canaries is probably a good place to start looking, because you can get holiday lets all year round. But do come and rent a place for a while first.
Are you on facebook it would be easier to talk to you on there
Old Jan 13th 2013, 12:16 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by choirfran
Hello everyone im new to this site im finding it difficult as im not very computer literate. My husband and i are starting the process of buying a property in spain but dont know where would be the best place to buy, any information would be helpful.
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 13th 2013, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Are you on facebook it would be easier to talk to you on there
The whole idea of the forum is that many others can read and learn from the posts. You are perfectly free to chat on FB if you wish, however I'm sure there are many others in your position, wanting to buy in Spain, that would find the thread helpful.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 1:33 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you wernt allowed to rent out your apartments without a license from the Town Hall.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

re where to buy, well how long is a piece of string, It depends what you want and like . do you want a house or apartment, do you want to be with other expats or not, in an urb or not, coastal or inland, flat or mountains.

Spain has a lot of mountains, how close to airports would you like to be?, as you see so many options, plus think about where you will fly from and where they go to.

We have chosen to live near the coast but away from expats, we have just a smattering here so had to learn the language, well we try.

As some has said come over and look but would be good to get some idea of area or areas before you do.

Good luck on your search, am sure all the members will give you as much help as possible
Old Jan 13th 2013, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Firstly, welcome.
Others have given some initial good advice, but your question is very simplistic. I don't wish to offend in any way, but imagine the reverse situation and a Spaniard asking "where is the best place to buy and live in the UK"?
What would your answer be?
Old Jan 14th 2013, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

lasenia is an unknown quantity at this point

hi everyone antother newbie here

been is spain for 10 years, spent many holidays there before moving
and rented for a year and travelled all over before buying a place

big place is Spain!
Old Jan 15th 2013, 8:17 am
Just Joined

RebekahMuldowney is an unknown quantity at this point

welcome to Spain!
Old Jan 21st 2013, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Choir Fran. I am unable to give you advice as to where to live in Spain in that is exactly what we are addressing at this moment in time. Indeed moving from France to Spain.

However the general tenor of the question is where and the answer to that is simply it depends. You could easily pose the same question on a French forum.

What I would suggest is in line with the various postings rent rent and then think about buying. This equally would apply if it were France. That is what we are doing for you might not like Spain it might not be for you and then you have bought and how then do you get out of it?

We have bought and sold in France for many years but are now renting. Also it is like buying a new car for when you leave the garage you have lost at least the VAT. Not sure if taxes for buying houses in Spain are 10%? so that should be factored in.

Our recent experience of Spain is that availability is outstripping demand and that the market might take some years to re-cover. We will rent.

Finally and here I may get shot down. But if possible have a bolt-hole in the UK. We do that with our Chepstow house and it has been rented to the same guy for the last twelve years. We have to give him say two months notice so if needs be we can pack and move back. Whether we would exercise that is another matter.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porth
Hi Choir Fran. I am unable to give you advice as to where to live in Spain in that is exactly what we are addressing at this moment in time. Indeed moving from France to Spain.

However the general tenor of the question is where and the answer to that is simply it depends. You could easily pose the same question on a French forum.

What I would suggest is in line with the various postings rent rent and then think about buying. This equally would apply if it were France. That is what we are doing for you might not like Spain it might not be for you and then you have bought and how then do you get out of it?

We have bought and sold in France for many years but are now renting. Also it is like buying a new car for when you leave the garage you have lost at least the VAT. Not sure if taxes for buying houses in Spain are 10%? so that should be factored in.

Our recent experience of Spain is that availability is outstripping demand and that the market might take some years to re-cover. We will rent.

Finally and here I may get shot down. But if possible have a bolt-hole in the UK. We do that with our Chepstow house and it has been rented to the same guy for the last twelve years. We have to give him say two months notice so if needs be we can pack and move back. Whether we would exercise that is another matter.
Good words of advice. I have a property in the UK and for me it is my lifeline should anything happen to my OH.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:03 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Good words of advice. I have a property in the UK and for me it is my lifeline should anything happen to my OH.
same here, although after being let as a rental we may consider to sell and buy another if either of us had to go home.

`