Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hello!! New here!

Hello!! New here!

Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:23 am
Banned

correveidile will become famous soon enoughcorreveidile will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hello!! New here!

Where are you thinking of living?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of good stuff before me....think of the following:
*if your kids learn Spanish it's a big plus - is among the three or four most widely used languages in the world
*do not assume it's VERY much cheaper here - it isn't. Some things are, some aren't but of course the longer you're here the more out of touch you get so we really can't compare accurately without info from friends/contacts in UK
*where you live will make quite a difference. If you are on a costa or in a BIG city well maybe things are a bit easier, not least because you'll have tourists and more english-speaking folk to cater for both with vehicles & children. But in the campo many businesses are soaked up comprehensively by the family webs locally & incomers stand no chance plus of course you have to travel that much further to get things plus if you're really in the wilds your spanish won't improve as quickly as in the pueblos because neighbours are a godsend!
either way, best of luck & keep us all in touch. ps the earlier you get the kids in school (if spanish school) the better......
Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

plus if you're really in the wilds your spanish won't improve as quickly as in the pueblos because neighbours are a godsend.........I hasten to add I speak as one in the wilds. I don't think I would change that, very much a country girl who flinches if I can even hear passing traffic at a distance, but I do recognise the benefits if my little'un & I had near neighbours...
Old Nov 4th 2008, 7:55 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

New unemployment figures out today for Spain, worse figures since 1996. Rate last month was 18.7% for Andalucía. Would certainly have to have some amazing skill to find a job here especially if Spanish is not spoken!
Old Nov 5th 2008, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

kaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to all

I think wherever you move abroad to at the moment you need a fair amount of capital or firm job/relocation offer. We want to move to Spain but current climate has meant we have to put it on hold. Seems on this site a fair few people can't settle in Australia and give it less than a year, I don't think I could move that distance either. However I have a cousin who moved to New Zealand and his only regret is he din't go sooner. Each to their own and no rose tinted specs. Good luck to everyone with their moves and I hope we can do ours
soon

Last edited by kaylee; Nov 5th 2008 at 12:57 am.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 6:31 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to think about when making the move is education. I know lots of families with children who have had to move from Spain to England and vice versa. The problem lies in bringing school age children abroad for a couple of years. If you have to return home to wherever, the childrens education really suffers. They are just getting into their stride and becoming fluent in their new language, then disaster, they have to up sticks again. When they go back to their own country, they are way behind their classmates. It can be a total disaster at key times in their education. Not to mention the emotional disruption, leaving friends etc. I had a few friends in the UK whose parents returned to Spain, the children seemed to have the hardest time, especially teenagers.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Mattandcara

It is certain that lately there is a lot of unemployment in Spain with the crisis, but it is also certain that there are works that have a lot of demand, as electrician or marine merchant. Your husband is an auto electrician and mechanic. I believe that it is strange that your husband don't find work in Spain. Very strange

I know a lot of people with this specialization, and they always have work. Always. Why? Pure logic: Almost all we have vehicles, we have to move, the cars are damaged etc etc etc. And I speak to you of a small city, with 40000 inhabitants. Imagine in more big cities

My advice if you decide to come to Spain:

1) To come for to assure a work before coming to live here

2) Not to buy a house. There is all type of prices, but it would be necessary to look for. First, I would advise to rent. It is the best thing. In the big cities there are very expensive rents, but not in the small cities or the towns is more cheap, even in the coast

3) Of course, you should learn Spanish, although I suppose that it would not be a problem if you live in a british community

Last edited by Relampago; Nov 5th 2008 at 1:41 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:32 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Even the Spanish can't get jobs, what are you talking about!
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

shellou will become famous soon enough

Sorry sonofspain I have to disagree a little. Maybe it depends where you live but I know for a fact that my british mechanic friends are finding things very quiet at the moment. This is for both mobile mechanics and ones with workshops. This may also be because there are so many of them in competition with each other trying to capture the british market?
The spanish 'talleres' in my area are definately not as busy as they used to be. Never used to see less than a few cars in the garage waiting to go up on the ramps..now its about 1 or 2. I know of people who have been laid off with the hope that things will improve so that they can be reemployed.

Its interesting to hear how it must differ very much by area
Old Nov 5th 2008, 6:20 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shellou
Sorry sonofspain I have to disagree a little. Maybe it depends where you live but I know for a fact that my british mechanic friends are finding things very quiet at the moment. This is for both mobile mechanics and ones with workshops. This may also be because there are so many of them in competition with each other trying to capture the british market?
The spanish 'talleres' in my area are definately not as busy as they used to be. Never used to see less than a few cars in the garage waiting to go up on the ramps..now its about 1 or 2. I know of people who have been laid off with the hope that things will improve so that they can be reemployed.

Its interesting to hear how it must differ very much by area
How can english mechanics with workshops not be bussy.unless they are sticking to legal cars only
Old Nov 5th 2008, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

haha..i guess it must be a combination of lots of competition...and I know a few of our friends have mentioned they are putting off having work done on their cars unless they literally dont start or if its brakes etc
Old Nov 5th 2008, 7:21 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shellou
haha..i guess it must be a combination of lots of competition...and I know a few of our friends have mentioned they are putting off having work done on their cars unless they literally dont start or if its brakes etc
I know,Its not just the english its every one at the moment.I feel sorry for the ones who just expanded into bigger premises or just bought new equiptment or car/van on a loan just before times got bad.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Yep not great at the minute for anyone....just have to hope that people manage to 'ride the storm' for as long as it takes. Heartbreaking when you see people who have invested so much time and money in their businesses really struggling to keep going
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Sarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant future

If you move to Barcelona or Madrid, you will be able to find work. But in the South of Spain the situation may be very different...

If you move to Barcelona or Madrid, you will need to pay a large sum of rent - (i.e. a decent 3 bed flat in Barcelona is between 850-1,500 Euros per month) and it is highly unlikely you will be able to afford to buy - house prices vs. earnings are akin to London!

So - don't restrict your chances of finding work by moving to rural Spain and expecting to find a job just around the corner.

Be flexible on what type of job you are willing to do.

Be even more flexible on your pay - it will not be the same as England.

Come with LOTS of savings.

Rent, don't buy yet!!! (Get to know the area you want to live in, FIRST).

Finally, move here for the sunshine, the relaxed attitude to life and the attitude to kids and families, and because you want to intergrate with the locals/culture...

Don't move here to make money, or to find a more secure work environment, or to expect the move to be easy... The first year is the hardest for everyone! But it does get easier...
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

This is to generalize, and to generalize is not good. And depend that works, ok? I said that with his specialty, for me was strange that he doesn't find work, even in the south. I have given the example that I know a lot of people in my town they are mechanical and they are always working. Obviously, if he goes to a small town where there are few people, will be a very little work he will have

It is possible that, for general norm, for hard-working class, in Madrid or Barcelona the wage can be higher, but the cost of the life is also higher than in the south of Spain

Last edited by Relampago; Nov 6th 2008 at 10:56 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.