Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hello Ladies (and maybe the gents!)

Hello Ladies (and maybe the gents!)

Old Dec 5th 2012, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Style_Commander is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello Ladies (and maybe the gents!)

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Good luck with your new business.
Would you consider answering a question on greying and changing from dyeing to not dyeing? Quite relevant to up to 50% of expats

I'm going grey but very slowly. I'm finding it difficult to keep up with dyeing and I have very long hair. (BTW In summer I have to tie my hair up and condition it heavily). Obviously with very long hair there's already been a deal of dye put on it. But I'm not cutting it short. I love long grey hair but that would take aaaaaages to achieve. My grey is that ugly (to my mind) middling stage.
I moved to number 6 (I think) dark blonde because it's actually a mid brown! And even their light brown was way too dark.
Would it be easier for me to go even lighter and risk darkish roots or to streak...or what.
My skin goes brown and stays that way most of the year except in the darkest depth of winter when it can be a bit sallow.
I can't afford hairdressers at the mo' so I'll have to do whatever I do myself. But I did a year of hairdressing way back so I can probably handle it until things improve.
The problem you have here, is that tint won't lift tint. If you are wanting to back to your natural silver, I suggest chipping away at the colour. If you go to a salon that uses Wella colours, there are a fair few products produced by them that are really good for colour correction. Magma would be the best bet. You really would want a full head of back to back foils, this will gradually chip away at the colour, and as the colour begins to gradually lift, I'd reccomend a quasi permenant colour, this is called Colour Touch or Colour Touch Plus depending on the intensity of the colour required.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Style_Commander
The problem you have here, is that tint won't lift tint. If you are wanting to back to your natural silver, I suggest chipping away at the colour. If you go to a salon that uses Wella colours, there are a fair few products produced by them that are really good for colour correction. Magma would be the best bet. You really would want a full head of back to back foils, this will gradually chip away at the colour, and as the colour begins to gradually lift, I'd reccomend a quasi permenant colour, this is called Colour Touch or Colour Touch Plus depending on the intensity of the colour required.
Aww. Not read the brief :-(
It may be that there's no answer for home colouring. But when I say I can't go to a hairdressers, it's because I can't.
Things may change on that (though unlikely for a good while) Thanks for the reply anyway.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Aww. Not read the brief :-(
It may be that there's no answer for home colouring. But when I say I can't go to a hairdressers, it's because I can't.
Things may change on that (though unlikely for a good while) Thanks for the reply anyway.
local beauty college perhaps? Same results, just a different price! There's not much you can do with home colouring, however, depending on the colour youve used, put some sugar in with your shampoo, iv'e known it to be effective on some people.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your new business.
Would you consider answering a question on greying and changing from dyeing to not dyeing? Quite relevant to up to 50% of expats

I'm going grey but very slowly. I'm finding it difficult to keep up with dyeing and I have very long hair. (BTW In summer I have to tie my hair up and condition it heavily). Obviously with very long hair there's already been a deal of dye put on it. But I'm not cutting it short. I love long grey hair but that would take aaaaaages to achieve. My grey is that ugly (to my mind) middling stage.
I moved to number 6 (I think) dark blonde because it's actually a mid brown! And even their light brown was way too dark.
Would it be easier for me to go even lighter and risk darkish roots or to streak...or what.
My skin goes brown and stays that way most of the year except in the darkest depth of winter when it can be a bit sallow.
I can't afford hairdressers at the mo' so I'll have to do whatever I do myself. But I did a year of hairdressing way back so I can probably handle it until things improve.
Good for you, keeping it long! I am so tempted to cut all mine off in the summer heat! But I know I'd regret it.

I wouldn't lighten your hair if I were you because, as well as the roots problem, it will inevitably damage it and make it more porous. Stick with the semi-permanent tints or try some crimson and purple streaks!
Old Dec 6th 2012, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Good for you, keeping it long! I am so tempted to cut all mine off in the summer heat! But I know I'd regret it.

I wouldn't lighten your hair if I were you because, as well as the roots problem, it will inevitably damage it and make it more porous. Stick with the semi-permanent tints or try some crimson and purple streaks!
I like the idea. I am a bit of an old hippie My husband (a decade younger than me) likes my hair long and I also see my mother when look in the mirror. But the long hair just takes the edge off.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

I like the idea. I am a bit of an old hippie My husband (a decade younger than me) likes my hair long and I also see my mother when look in the mirror. But the long hair just takes the edge off.
As a mere male venturing into the mysteries of ladies hairdressers - where have all the rows of ladies sitting with their heads in a gigantic hair dryers whilst reading magazines gone. I collected my wife from the hairdressers the other day after she had a perm and it was just a brush and style with a hot hair blower. What am I paying for I ask myself.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Michael74
As a mere male venturing into the mysteries of ladies hairdressers - where have all the rows of ladies sitting with their heads in a gigantic hair dryers whilst reading magazines gone. I collected my wife from the hairdressers the other day after she had a perm and it was just a brush and style with a hot hair blower. What am I paying for I ask myself.
perms went out with blue rinses... (But they'll both be back one day I've no doubt).
Plus the first thing that goes off your list when you're living on a budget, after daily visits to the bar is the hairdresser (sorry OP :-( ).
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

perms went out with blue rinses... (But they'll both be back one day I've no doubt).
Plus the first thing that goes off your list when you're living on a budget, after daily visits to the bar is the hairdresser (sorry OP :-( ).
Can't afford a daily visit to the bar these days - but do manage to get a couple in whilst OH is having her hair done !!

I would refuse to pay if it was a blue rinse job !!
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

I just get mine trimmed a couple of times a year by a woman in our village, it only costs €8 for cut and blow dry. She still has one of those those heated hood things, they make the colour "cook" in half the time apparently. I did try it once when I had highlights done, but it burnt my ear! Never again!
Old Dec 9th 2012, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Just so we all know, perms are back in, I still do my sisters, but its not curly like youd expect, its more for movement. As for you asking what youre paying for, Michael, the perm changes the shape of the hair, giving it more volume and a much nicer blow wave. How much are you paying for it?
Old Dec 9th 2012, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Hairdressers, haircuts arghhhhh I have thin straight hair and the only really fantastic cuts I have ahd have been razor cuts. One by a lady in Barnstable, who was mobile and great personality. On a visit to Brussles I found one of the Jean Louis David hairdressers and the man in there did another great cut. That was a fun time, he was a Spanaird and we had a real laugh trying to understand each other. My french was long forgotten, my spanish a word or two. Razor cuts seem to stay in shape longer too I think.

I used 2 of their shops in Sevilla and the customer service was nothing short of crap in both and the haircuts ? well first one was a disaster and I had to get a repair done on it in Mazagon, The second one .....I waited so long to be taken then was left while the lady went for lunch I walked out.

I do not go to Scotland very often if I do I always get my hair cut and coloured, if in the mood, by a lady who did my hair for 15 yrs in Scotland while I worked. She uses enhances the colours I already have in my hair, I like it most people do not even notice :-)
Old Dec 9th 2012, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Style_Commander
Just so we all know, perms are back in, I still do my sisters, but its not curly like youd expect, its more for movement. As for you asking what youre paying for, Michael, the perm changes the shape of the hair, giving it more volume and a much nicer blow wave. How much are you paying for it?
€40 for a 'light' perm that never took evidently but it was done again for free.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Hairdressers, haircuts arghhhhh I have thin straight hair and the only really fantastic cuts I have ahd have been razor cuts. One by a lady in Barnstable, who was mobile and great personality. On a visit to Brussles I found one of the Jean Louis David hairdressers and the man in there did another great cut. That was a fun time, he was a Spanaird and we had a real laugh trying to understand each other. My french was long forgotten, my spanish a word or two. Razor cuts seem to stay in shape longer too I think.

I used 2 of their shops in Sevilla and the customer service was nothing short of crap in both and the haircuts ? well first one was a disaster and I had to get a repair done on it in Mazagon, The second one .....I waited so long to be taken then was left while the lady went for lunch I walked out.

I do not go to Scotland very often if I do I always get my hair cut and coloured, if in the mood, by a lady who did my hair for 15 yrs in Scotland while I worked. She uses enhances the colours I already have in my hair, I like it most people do not even notice :-)
A friend of mine took herself and her two daughters to a local Jean David Louis salon and all three of them left in tears.

By the way it is Barnstaple! Sorry!
Old Dec 10th 2012, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Bad morning got worse as I locked myself out of house, no phone no money. Sorry about not proof reading my post

Oh and you mixed them up ! Jean Louis David !
Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:06 am
Just Joined

Mondupu is an unknown quantity at this point

Any colour except grey except on guys with blue eyes