Heating

Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

polly.walker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heating

Does anyone know which is the most cost effective way of heating a room.

Mobile gas heater, gas central heating or the heater on the aircon unit.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:19 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heating

The aircon unit is theoretically the most efficient as it outputs up to 3 times as much energy as it takes - but it's not always the most "comfortable".

Gas is probably the second best as gas prices (bottles) are subsidised .

Wood burners are pretty good but it depends on what you pay for the wood.

Electricity is the most expensive unless you have an off peak supply.

No doubt someone will have a different view.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fred James
The aircon unit is theoretically the most efficient as it outputs up to 3 times as much energy as it takes - but it's not always the most "comfortable".

Gas is probably the second best as gas prices (bottles) are subsidised .

Wood burners are pretty good but it depends on what you pay for the wood.

Electricity is the most expensive unless you have an off peak supply.

No doubt someone will have a different view.
I would agree as you say you only want to heat a room, the aircon has to be the most practical, convenient and efficient for cost and heat production,
NB Gas heaters (portable) can produce a lot of moisture and therefore good ventilation will be necessary if used for long periods.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:36 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
I would agree as you say you only want to heat a room, the aircon has to be the most practical, convenient and efficient for cost and heat production,
NB Gas heaters (portable) can produce a lot of moisture and therefore good ventilation will be necessary if used for long periods.
Given the huge mass of water vapour produced, won't you have to piss most of the heat away trying to ventilate the moisture out?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

wilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nice

Move the furniture from the room you want to heat, and put it in the street, most times its warmer there.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:15 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Given the huge mass of water vapour produced, won't you have to piss most of the heat away trying to ventilate the moisture out?
I've used gas heaters in the last thee houses we've lived in and not come across any moisture problems. I guess in a well built, modern flat with good seals on the window you could get some condensation...
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:23 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
I've used gas heaters in the last thee houses we've lived in and not come across any moisture problems. I guess in a well built, modern flat with good seals on the window you could get some condensation...
Well, I was thinking of the catalytic free standers. They produce an awful lot of water vapour which has to go somewhere...
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:40 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Well, I was thinking of the catalytic free standers. They produce an awful lot of water vapour which has to go somewhere...
Yes, mine are free standing bottle gas heaters but with ceramic radiant panels - not catalytic - maybe they are different. I know they give off water vapour but I think the problems associated with that might be exaggerated somewhat.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 6:21 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by jimenato
Yes, mine are free standing bottle gas heaters but with ceramic radiant panels - not catalytic - maybe they are different. I know they give off water vapour but I think the problems associated with that might be exaggerated somewhat.
If they are free standing they must be cats so as to eliminate all CO. Don't forget, a butane freestander will produce 1.3 litres of water per kilo of gas burnt.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bil
If they are free standing they must be cats so as to eliminate all CO. Don't forget, a butane freestander will produce 1.3 litres of water per kilo of gas burnt.
I'm With u Bill, all u have to do is look at your windows, after a couple of hours they will have loads of moisture showing,,, but in my experience, most spanish houses have great ventilation )( or is it piss poor builders ,, Hoooo Hooo), IEgaps everywhere,
Remember the early days of double glazing in the UK, when we all moved from the coal fire to gas fires , then put in Double glazing and then came the damp at high level etc etc,,, then the regs changed and the window had the sliding vents etc etc, O( Cause and effect!!)

Suspect Fred J will remember that far back
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:40 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
Suspect Fred J will remember that far back
That's right - the good old days with a peat fire and a hole in the roof to let the smoke out!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:14 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Fred James
That's right - the good old days with a peat fire and a hole in the roof to let the smoke out!
Luxury.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bil
Luxury.
We called it central heating then as the fire was in the middle of the room!!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:08 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

We have a variety of heating methods in our house.

We have a woodburner in the only room with a functioning chimney (our bedroom/bedsit).

We use freestanding bottled gas fires in the TV lounge, my husband's studio and the kitchen. In the kitchen there is also an open chimney, which although it does not appear to do much if you light a fire in the fireplace, does at least provide ventilation!

We also have an electric oil-filled radiator for the guest bedroom and some electric fan heaters in the bathroom and other rooms (occasional use only). The one in the bathroom is one of those that goes high up on the wall.

We have never had any trouble with condensation with the gas fires, but as an old village house our home is probably quite well ventilated anyway!

The woodburner is good and rapidly heats the room and stays in all night if you shut the air vents. It was only a really cheap one from Leroy Merlin, but it is suitable for our needs.

I think on the whole the gas fires are the best as you can turn them on and off depending on whether you are in the room or not, which you can't do with the woodburner. (Just make sure you have some ventilation). For the 'nicest' heat though the woodburner wins hands down!

Last edited by scampicat; Jan 10th 2011 at 9:15 am.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:37 am
FreeThinker

I can't help thinking that the people who believe that gas heaters make everything soaking wet haven't got one. I've got three and they don't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.