Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Healthcare in Spain after the UK leaves EU

Healthcare in Spain after the UK leaves EU

Old Jul 4th 2016, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare in Spain after the UK leaves EU

Originally Posted by bobd22
Farage's resignations tend to mean very little maybe this time he has his eye on a better earner! As for the Brexit people being very anti any protest from the remainers that is very true. Of course had Brexit lost they would have simply accepted such a narrow majority quietly! I think not. I am sure many would wish to just ignore the vote and remain but don't see that happening, then you would see protests and given some of the right wing elements not as peaceful as the remain march last weekend.
Democracy has never been the main issue

Whether the UK actually leave the EU depends on the divorce negotiations between the EU and UK, mainly over the passporting of Euro trade

If the EU do not allow the city of London to do any trade in Euros then the UK will not leave the EU as London would lose a third of its trade overnight.

I expect the negotiations to drag on for a year or two, and the Brexit will finally be cancelled when the polls show that the anti-Brexit propaganda is working, but of course this also depends on internal politics within the Tory party, which is what the EU referendum was mainly about
Old Jul 4th 2016, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

Greatly revised terms of proposed continuing membership of the EU will evolve as the Brexit negotiations take shape in the coming years. I suspect these terms will be so significantly different from those voted on in June as to merit another vote, say in June 2018 along the lines of - still out, or back in under the revised terms.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hornets_Nest
Like many people I am still hoping for a reverse of Brexit - but that is looking less likely.

I was just wondering what the impact on healthcare will be for UK passport holders - both those already in Spain (who I assume will be OK) and those moving there post Brexit. It will also be different for those below and above state retirement age.

Much has been talked about the UK following the Norway model - how do Norwegians living in Spain access healthcare??

The flip side is how EU nationals access healthcare in the UK and I am hoping for some kind of reciprocal arrangement.
IMHO I think those who have lived here before the actual Brexit will keep the healthcare arrangements and those wishing to live in Spain after Brexit will have to arrange their own healthcare.

Over the years with natural reductions the UK healthcare bill will reduce accordingly. I would still take my chances and move out here.

Steve
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
IMHO I think those who have lived here before the actual Brexit will keep the healthcare arrangements and those wishing to live in Spain after Brexit will have to arrange their own healthcare.

Over the years with natural reductions the UK healthcare bill will reduce accordingly. I would still take my chances and move out here.

Steve
That is of course one of the options but I think if that happens it may well be challenged but who knows?
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

guirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really nice

There were 253,928 Britons on the padron at 1st January 2016, the majority were pensioners. It would not be an overwhelming burden for the UK to continue contributing towards their health care, given that the burden would reduce with time. Whether the UK would be willing to pay for new arrivals is another question. But this is just speculation.

The bigger danger surely is that the 27 members are unlikely to agree among themselves on terms for Britain´s exit, each leader wanting something different for domestic electoral purposes. The UK would be unwise to start the countdown towards exit with the very real possibility of no agreed deal at the end of negotiations.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Not a discussion on expat health care but state pensions in this link. Some interesting and quite scary views including by someone calling themselves oldcodger explains their views on here before disappearing! http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/03/should_expats_receive_a_uk_pen.html
Old Jul 4th 2016, 8:42 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

This was on FB.

Valencia guarantees healthcare to British residents despite Brexit

Rosemary
Old Jul 4th 2016, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

gill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Not a discussion on expat health care but state pensions in this link. Some interesting and quite scary views including by someone calling themselves oldcodger explains their views on here before disappearing! BBC - Have Your Say: Should expats receive a UK pension?
This is 6 years old
Old Jul 5th 2016, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by gill556
This is 6 years old
Sorry hadn't noticed the date however having listened to comments recently about expats from those still in uk no doubt even more pertinent now.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Well as of now he cannot change anything, but I do not read this as a guarantee for the future.

I think earlier posters are correct those with existing rights will continue those arriving after 'the door is shut' (assuming it will be) will not get the same rights as new arrivals.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 9:56 am
Just Joined

deeger is an unknown quantity at this point

weird one isn't it should we stay or should we go........

strangely whichever way we go half the country will be angry..........
Old Jul 5th 2016, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Hornets_Nest will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by deeger
strangely whichever way we go half the country will be angry..........
The Tories need to listen to the 48% as well as many MPs - if Brexit does come about (which I am beginning to fear will happen) it must be #BrexitLite probably following the Norwegian model.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Bo S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snikpoh
... which would be crazy!

The majority voted to leave yet the 'Government' decide not to. I suspect there would be uproar if the 'elite' decided to ignore the people.
Am I right in thinking that the referendum outcome still needs to go before parliment and voted on by the sitting MP's? Or is the vote legally binding on the government as it stands?

Where some of my friends live they had referendum on an issue but the government voted against it! The people just accepted it.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hornets_Nest will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bo S
Am I right in thinking that the referendum outcome still needs to go before parliament and voted on by the sitting MP's? Or is the vote legally binding on the government as it stands?
just read that it doesn't need to go before Parliament - still a long way to go and with companies like Easyjet announcing they may move their HQ into Europe lots of things may happen.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 8:31 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

There are legal arguments being put forward at the moment to say that the decision to invoke Article 50 must be made by parliament. It is entirely possible that parliament, being about 65% against Brexit, could vote it down.

Even if the legal argument is lost, parliament still has to repeal the original act that gave Britain membership of the then Common Market. There are also legal arguments that the referendum was itself illegal as the reason Cameron set it up was purely to increase his chances of being elected at the last election.

It would be unwise to assume that Brexit is a foregone conclusion. There are many legal arguments out there to prevent it ever happening.

Last edited by Fred James; Jul 5th 2016 at 8:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.