Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

healthcare in spain

healthcare in spain

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

Phoebedance is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation healthcare in spain

I was born and raised in California. Now at 25, I am moving to Spain with my Spanish partner. I applied (just months ago) for my UK passport and I will be entering Spain with that instead of my US passport.

I am recently experiencing some health concerns and my doctor in California is concerned about my healthcare options in Spain. I am wondering about the nsh and if it applies to me living in Spain? Also, because I have actually never lived in the UK for an extended period of time, how to I activate my nhs (i.e. I need a card? an ID number? a UK doctor?)? Can I receive health car and medical care in Spain?

Thanks,

Phoebe
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

Default Re: healthcare in spain

just for clarification, my father is British and currently my folks are moving back to Kent from California, hence my UK citizenship.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

If your Spanish partner or you are working with a contract job then you will be covered, if not you will need private cover.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:52 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting.
Well, you probably wont be able to.

When a Brit moves here he can get up to two years cover under the Spanish system, but only based on his UK contributions, of which you have made none.

So unless I am mistaken you will need to either take out private health care (which is relatively cheap here) or be contributing to the Spanish system by working.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

great. thank you.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:15 pm
lic
Forum Regular

lic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Interesting.
Well, you probably wont be able to.

When a Brit moves here he can get up to two years cover under the Spanish system, but only based on his UK contributions, of which you have made none.

So unless I am mistaken you will need to either take out private health care (which is relatively cheap here) or be contributing to the Spanish system by working.
Mitzy,

Does it matter what age you are when you move from the U.K.? I was under the impression (misguided, I hope) that unless you were 65 or over youwere not entitled to cover.
When you say cover is relatively cheap, how much roughly?

Cheers
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:29 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lic
Mitzy,

Does it matter what age you are when you move from the U.K.? I was under the impression (misguided, I hope) that unless you were 65 or over youwere not entitled to cover.

Cheers
If you are not 65 you can get a form from DWP that will cover you for up to two years as long as your stamps are up to date.
Mitzy knows the cheap private cover for later.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 6:05 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lic
Remember that for a couple, if the wife has reached pensionable age in the UK (60) then she and a husband under 65 are covered for full healthcare.

This applies even though the retirement age for women in Spain is 65.

Private insurance varies but we pay about €1300 a year for both of us.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:34 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lic
Mitzy,

Cheers
You dont get long term state cover no, but whatever age you are you can get up to 2 years subject to conditions with an E106. As Fred points out, if the Mrs is 60 then you get cover as well even if you are under retirement age.

I use Sanitas, and when we came here the premium was about €1100 - €1200. Make sure you go to the Spanish site though not the English (BUPA associated) one
Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

I think I need to register for my first NHS card/number. After that I can apply for the European health insurance card. I will be working... but I am a dancer/performer and so I am traveling a lot (and health and medical care are important if I get injured). Does anyone know how I register for a nhs ID... do I need to be in the UK?
Old Jun 4th 2009, 4:18 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Phoebedance
I think I need to register for my first NHS card/number. After that I can apply for the European health insurance card. I will be working... but I am a dancer/performer and so I am traveling a lot (and health and medical care are important if I get injured). Does anyone know how I register for a nhs ID... do I need to be in the UK?
I would imagine you have to be resident in the UK, otherwise everyone would apply for one.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 4:56 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lic
Mitzy,

Cheers
Hubby and I pay 2,400 euro per annum for the 2 of us, that covers us for nearly everything, except having babies but that is the last thing I will be doing We could of got it for a lot cheaper but there was a lot of things missed of the cover list such as treatment for oncology and restrictions on what doctors we could see and what hospital we could go to.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

I own a house in Kent. Does that count as being a resident? Plus, I am over there a lot. I think for sure, being a UK citizen and owning a home in England should be enough for me to receive health care, no?
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:15 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

I own a house in Kent. Does that count as being a resident? Plus, I am over there a lot. I think for sure, being a UK citizen and owning a home in England should be enough for me to receive health care, no?
While you are in the UK but not in Spain unless you have paid into the system for the last two years or so then you can get cover in Spain fro up to two years with the form from DWP.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:37 pm
Senior Moment

Me as an example.
I lived in the UK for 52 years and paid into the system for about 35 years.
Then I moved to Spain. I got 18 months cover in the Spanish system and thats it. I of course have an EHIC card but its no use to me as I am a resident in Spain now. The NHS wont treat me when I go back if I am there on holiday. I had to pay to see a doctor.

So yes, you may have a house in the UK and you may (I dont know) manage to get an NHS card. But it wont be any use to you when you get to Spain. You havent paid into the system in the UK, so you wont get any free cover here. Unless you work you will have to get private care.

I hope that explains it more concisely for you. If health care is so important to you then you need to (a) work or (b) get private cover

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.