Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

healthcare in spain

healthcare in spain

Old Jun 5th 2009, 5:49 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: healthcare in spain

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Me as an example.
I lived in the UK for 52 years and paid into the system for about 35 years.
Then I moved to Spain. I got 18 months cover in the Spanish system and thats it. I of course have an EHIC card but its no use to me as I am a resident in Spain now. The NHS wont treat me when I go back if I am there on holiday. I had to pay to see a doctor.

So yes, you may have a house in the UK and you may (I dont know) manage to get an NHS card. But it wont be any use to you when you get to Spain. You havent paid into the system in the UK, so you wont get any free cover here. Unless you work you will have to get private care.

I hope that explains it more concisely for you. If health care is so important to you then you need to (a) work or (b) get private cover
And to clarify further; The UK system is residence based so you MAY get an NHS card.
In Spain, the system is contribution based. As you haven't paid into the Spanish system and have no contributions to transfer from UK, you will probably get nothing in Spain
Old Jun 5th 2009, 2:47 pm
Account Closed

Phoebedance is an unknown quantity at this point

okay, thanks for all your feedback, thoughts, and suggestions.

I will just need to look a bit more into the system. I will post my results once I understand what my position actually is.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

Could I clarify the position re Autonomo contributions, does the €265 per month cover both myself and my wife for healthcare, or do we both need to pay in individually ?
Old Jun 5th 2009, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoebedance
I own a house in Kent. Does that count as being a resident? Plus, I am over there a lot. I think for sure, being a UK citizen and owning a home in England should be enough for me to receive health care, no?
No
Old Jun 5th 2009, 9:57 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

I have held off from asking this question but I have to ask it anyway, What makes you think that you are entitled to UK NHS cover when you A. don't live there and B. have not paid into the system.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:34 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispy
I have held off from asking this question but I have to ask it anyway, What makes you think that you are entitled to UK NHS cover when you A. don't live there and B. have not paid into the system.
And want to use it in a different country. lol
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:48 am
Account Closed

Phoebedance is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: healthcare in spain

Well to be quite frank.... what makes you think anyone is NOT entitled to healthcare no matter who they are and from where they are?

You think I haven't contributed to the UK? You don't even know who I am or what my history is... glad you are laughing out loud at my basic and human need for health and medical care.

jerk!
Old Jun 6th 2009, 6:23 am
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Well to be quite frank.... what makes you think anyone is NOT entitled to healthcare no matter who they are and from where they are?

You think I haven't contributed to the UK? You don't even know who I am or what my history is... glad you are laughing out loud at my basic and human need for health and medical care.

jerk!
You´ve obviously received quite a few different replies and, of course, no-one knows your personal circumstances, which is your prerogative. Transferring NHS benefits outside of the UK, if you are resident and are under pensionable age, is quite a complex business and you do need to meet certain criteria to receive the necessary paperwork. Perhaps you should send a pm to DWP in Spain. You can find them by doing a search on this site. He/she may be able to help you with your query, but will need all the facts. They do work for the Department for Work and Pensions so it will be confidential. If they can´t help you then, I´m sure, they will point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Last edited by jjh; Jun 6th 2009 at 6:25 am.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 6:58 am
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by savateur
Could I clarify the position re Autonomo contributions, does the €265 per month cover both myself and my wife for healthcare, or do we both need to pay in individually ?
No, your payment will cover you and your dependants.

To the OP

You just managed to slip into the UK passport rules then.

Last edited by livit; Jun 6th 2009 at 7:06 am.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 7:22 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

jerk!
Chill out......
Well read the rules at DWP about transferring your healthcare abroad, if you didn`t have it in the UK how the hell can you transfer it to another country.
Why didn`t you tell us you have paid into the system in the UK then during your stays there, although if you have only just got a UK passport did you work on a visa ?
Can I buy a house in the USA and use their healthcare in Spain ?
Old Jun 6th 2009, 7:37 am
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

The story has so many holes its almost a tube.

Last edited by livit; Jun 6th 2009 at 7:55 am.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:40 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP: your reciprocal entitlement to an E102 (which would cover you for up to 2 years free state healthcare in Spain) depends on your National Insurance contributions as a working or legitimately unemployed resident of the UK in the period IMMEDIATELY before leaving the UK to live abroad.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 9:24 am
Banned

Your story seems to have changed recently.

On April 23 rd you wrote this below;

How to apply for UK citizenship when in California? Please Help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

I am completely new to this site so I am still figuring things out.

I am moving to London in June and I need to apply for my UK citizenship before I get there. Currently I am in California. My parents who are quite old are returning to their house near London in December and I will help take care of them.

I was born in 1984 in the US. My father is British and my mother is from the US. I am pretty sure I am eligible for my UK citizenship, but it is a bit daunting to figure out what exactly to do and how to execute this task in a efficient, timely, and successful manner.

Specific questions I have are

Which application do I fill out?
What are referees?
Do I need to have lived already in the UK in order to apply? It seems to suggest that I do.
Are their people who can help me fill out the application or review it before I submit it?
Do you have any other advice for me?

Thanks,

Phoebe

Now your moving to Spain with a Spanish partner ?

So which is it, London with parents who need help or Spain with Spanish partner.

Last edited by livit; Jun 6th 2009 at 9:28 am.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by livit
Your story seems to have changed recently.

On April 23 rd you wrote this below;

How to apply for UK citizenship when in California? Please Help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

I am completely new to this site so I am still figuring things out.

I am moving to London in June and I need to apply for my UK citizenship before I get there. Currently I am in California. My parents who are quite old are returning to their house near London in December and I will help take care of them.

I was born in 1984 in the US. My father is British and my mother is from the US. I am pretty sure I am eligible for my UK citizenship, but it is a bit daunting to figure out what exactly to do and how to execute this task in a efficient, timely, and successful manner.

Specific questions I have are

Which application do I fill out?
What are referees?
Do I need to have lived already in the UK in order to apply? It seems to suggest that I do.
Are their people who can help me fill out the application or review it before I submit it?
Do you have any other advice for me?

Thanks,

Phoebe

Now your moving to Spain with a Spanish partner ?

So which is it, London with parents who need help or Spain with Spanish partner.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 9:56 am
Banned

You are also not eligble for UK passport if born after 1st January 1983, you could be if your mummy was British.

See these rules from Border Agency

Children born to British subjects
British subjects

This page explains the circumstances in which British subjects can pass on that status to their children.

British subjects normally cannot pass on that status to their children if the children were born after 1 January 1983. But a child may be a British subject when he/she is born if:

■one of the parents is a British subject; and
■neither of the parents is a British citizen, a British overseas territories citizen or a British overseas citizen; and
■the child was born on or after 1 January 1983 in the United Kingdom or a British overseas territory; and
■the child would be stateless without British subject status.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.