Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Healthcare in Madrid (again!)

Healthcare in Madrid (again!)

Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

emsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to all
Default Healthcare in Madrid (again!)

I recently posted a query asking if it's possible to get to see a local doctor if you don't have certain formalities completed. A few people said yes.

Unfortunately, last week I had the chance to test this out. My flatmate became pretty ill with food poisoning but, not wishing to go to the rigmarole of visiting Casualty at the local hospital at that stage, I headed off to the local health centre to see if I could get her seen by a doctor.

She has been living here since Sept 08, has her NIE and resident's permit but she had never actually registered "empadronamiento". I explained at the surgery that she was pretty sick but could probably make it to the surgery. I was told that before she could register and be seen, she would have to go one building about a mile from her flat, get some papers there, then to the local town hall and sort the empadronamiento and get another certificate/card, and only then come back, register, and try to get an appointment. They did seem to understand that there was no way she was in any fit state to be doing any of that but, despite being quite sympathetic, they insisted she couldn't be seen.

I thought the info might be useful to other people in the same sort of situation!

In the end, we had to go to hospital anyway as she took a turn for the worse.

It looks like I'm going to be going down the same route - I have a feeling I have something wrong with my kidneys - the pharmacist has been very helpful but I think I need a doctor. I don't pay Social Security here because I'm not working, and the receptionist at the surgery last week, when explaining what my flatmate would have to do, definitely said that at one of the offices, she would need to produce her Social Security number/card. As I don't have one, I guess I can't get the paperwork to register. So I'll be heading to casualty too!!!

It's all an adventure.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare in Madrid (again!)

What you describe seems about right.

If you had ever had a job in Spain, then your social security would last for a little while. Or if you had family here that works you could be named as a dependant (if you're under a certain age).

If you have only moved to Spain in the last 2 years then I believe you could use the European health card. However, if none of those apply then you dont have a right to healthcare in Spain and you need to have private cover.

Your friends situation shows the importance of always signing on the empadron. If you dont do this or if you have gaps in your history you can have difficulties getting documents to get married, mortgages etc
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:42 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Signing on the padron isn't really the issue here. You are either entitled to treatment or you are not.

If you are entitled to health care (E121 E106 or paying social security) then you will need to be on the padron to complete the paperwork and get a health card. If you aren't entitled, signing on the padron won't make any difference.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:49 pm
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

And the moral of the story is don't wait until you are sick to try to register with a doctor.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by emsr2d2

I thought the info might be useful to other people in the same sort of situation!

It looks like I'm going to be going down the same route - I have a feeling I have something wrong with my kidneys -

tdefinitely said that at one of the offices, she would need to produce her Social Security number/card. As I don't have one, I guess I can't get the paperwork to register. So I'll be heading to casualty too!!!

It's all an adventure.

Yes these experiences are usuful in highlighting the need for proper health insurance.

I just do not understand anyone who goes to live in a foreign country without arranging any health cover.

I have seen British people turned away from A&E in 2 hospitals in Valencia because they did not have any entitlement to use the state healthcare service or immediate life threatening ailments. They were told to go to the nearest private hospital and pay.

The same with the doctors surgery, unless you can produce a SIPS card here they will not see you.

So its pay at the point of need at a private clinic or hospital or get insured.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 1:57 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like I'm going to be going down the same route - I have a feeling I have something wrong with my kidneys - the pharmacist has been very helpful but I think I need a doctor. I don't pay Social Security here because I'm not working, and the receptionist at the surgery last week, when explaining what my flatmate would have to do, definitely said that at one of the offices, she would need to produce her Social Security number/card. As I don't have one, I guess I can't get the paperwork to register. So I'll be heading to casualty too!!!
They prob won't turn you away at casualty (as you found out with your friend) but you are likely to be billed for your treatment and then told to "go home" or get private health insurance.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 4:13 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Seems a little silly though to live over here and assume that you will never get ill, so not bothering to sort out any health care. I would have thought that was one of the FIRST things to do.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

emsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to all

Well, in my defence (and partly in hers) we were both under the impression that we would be able to use our EHIC cards at both a doctor's surgery and a hospital if the need arose. Neither of us had ever heard of the E106 or E121 (sorry, I've probably got both those numbers wrong) which apparently we could have got before we came over here. We both simply brought our EHIC cards (the replacement for the old E111).

Having both paid vast quantities of National Insurance in our respective countries for the last 20 years, we believed we were covered by the reciprocal arrangements in place in Europe.

The quotes I had for international health insurance before I came out here were so prohibitively expensive, that had I taken one out, I wouldn't have been able to afford to come here! Vicious circle.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 4:56 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Well, in my defence (and partly in hers) we were both under the impression that we would be able to use our EHIC cards at both a doctor's surgery and a hospital if the need arose. Neither of us had ever heard of the E106 or E121 (sorry, I've probably got both those numbers wrong) which apparently we could have got before we came over here. We both simply brought our EHIC cards (the replacement for the old E111).

Having both paid vast quantities of National Insurance in our respective countries for the last 20 years, we believed we were covered by the reciprocal arrangements in place in Europe.

The quotes I had for international health insurance before I came out here were so prohibitively expensive, that had I taken one out, I wouldn't have been able to afford to come here! Vicious circle.
It`s not Spains fault though, it is the UK government that will not agree to pay the Spanish for health cover carried out, apart from emegency cover for holiday makers, pensioners and those covered by E121`s and their dependants.

They are two different systems though, in Spain you have to pay into the system to get cover, but in the UK you just have to be resident to get it.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

DWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to all

Call the British Consulate in Madrid and ask to be put through to the pension, benefit and healthcare team. They'll be able to advise you. The number is 917 146 400.

In terms of health and social security, the country where you live will always be responsible for you unless you are covered by a reciprocal agreement e.g. the E121 for state pensioners. In this case, if you are not a UK state pensioner, a posted worker or an early retiree eligible for an E106, you will have to meet Spain's rules for state healthcare - that means paying social security.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 7:16 am
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DWPinSpain
that means paying social security.
Minimum 250€/month, which covers all dependants and get you a state pension at the end.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

DWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to all

That is only if you register as self-employed or, if you've paid social security in the past, you may be able to pay voluntary contributions through what is called the 'Convenio Especial'.

If you start work with a contract, your employer should pay contributions for you.

Originally Posted by Tele Addict
Minimum 250€/month, which covers all dependants and get you a state pension at the end.