British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Healthcare (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/healthcare-703817/)

MissImpulsive Feb 4th 2011 7:28 pm

Healthcare

Hi all - This is my first post on this forum so please be gentle with me.

We're recently retired and currently live in the UK. We're looking to overwinter in the Costa Del Sol with the view to eventually emigrating there after a few years.

We're concerned about healthcare. What do most UK expats do about healthcare while in Spain - both, while overwintering and after emigrating?

Thanks

Fred James Feb 4th 2011 7:37 pm

Re: Healthcare

Originally Posted by MissImpulsive (Post 9152745)
Hi all - This is my first post on this forum so please be gentle with me.

We're recently retired and currently live in the UK. We're looking to overwinter in the Costa Del Sol with the view to eventually emigrating there after a few years.

We're concerned about healthcare. What do most UK expats do about healthcare while in Spain - both, while overwintering and after emigrating?

Thanks

If either one of you is in receipt of a UK state pension you can apply for a form S1 which. when presented to the Spanish social security office will entitle you to full state healthcare in Spain.

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...althcare/e121/

HBG Feb 4th 2011 9:27 pm

While overwintering you should take out holiday insurance, when you come over permanently then Fred’s advice is correct.

lynnxa Feb 4th 2011 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 9152970)
While overwintering you should take out holiday insurance, when you come over permanently then Fred’s advice is correct.

but if they come for 90 days or more they should become resident............

so then Fred's advice applies.....

Fred James Feb 5th 2011 6:00 am

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 9153007)
but if they come for 90 days or more they should become resident............

so then Fred's advice applies.....

That's not entirely true.

Yes, you should in theory sign on the foreigners register after 90 days but I doubt that any short term winter visitors do that.

It certainly does not make them resident from a healthcare point of view.

The only way you can get cover as a pensioner is to apply for the form S1 (old E121) and then you have relinquished all your rights to healthcare in the UK - that could be tricky if you are back there for half the year!

The system only works for full time residents.

If you are only here as a winter visitor the normal solution would be cover under travel insurance or the UK issued EHIC for ongoing or emergency treatment.

EsuriJohn Feb 5th 2011 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 9153616)
That's not entirely true.

Yes, you should in theory sign on the foreigners register after 90 days but I doubt that any short term winter visitors do that.

It certainly does not make them resident from a healthcare point of view.

The only way you can get cover as a pensioner is to apply for the form S1 (old E121) and then you have relinquished all your rights to healthcare in the UK - that could be tricky if you are back there for half the year!

The system only works for full time residents.

If you are only here as a winter visitor the normal solution would be cover under travel insurance or the UK issued EHIC for ongoing or emergency treatment.

There was a news item on euronews yesterday that the EU parliament had given final approval on new intercommunity health legislation. Do not pretend to understand it but seemed to say that you had to be offered equivalent health cover to your home nation. It was not clear if this was holiday cover or more long term any update anyone?

Saxy May 9th 2011 9:47 am

Sorry coming in so late on this, I'm a "Newbie".

One thing that has not been mentioned is the FANTASTIC healthcare that is available. I have had treatment for cancer (now clear) and the professionalism and friendliness of all concerned at the hospital was outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You should not have any worries on that score.

John.

snikpoh May 9th 2011 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Saxy (Post 9352177)

One thing that has not been mentioned is the FANTASTIC healthcare that is available. I have had treatment for cancer (now clear) and the professionalism and friendliness of all concerned at the hospital was outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John.

From my experience (second-hand) that is entirely true.

The issue is getting healthcare in the first place - and for some of us that is simply IMPOSSIBLE.

We are currently in the process of trying to get cover for our children who are under 18 - you'd think it would be simple (Ley de menores), but it's proving to be almost impossible. For us parents, we have to go private but our children should be covered.

I think it's time to get a lawyer involved - again, how stupid is that!

Rosemary May 9th 2011 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Saxy (Post 9352177)

John.

Have to totally agree with you. My OH has been receiving the best possible care in the last 18 months, most of that time in hospital, many hours in urgencias and we have found all of the staff to be helpful, professional and very caring. Met one of the ward staff at Mercadona the other day and she ran across the car park, greeted us as old friends and chatted for a while even though she had a group of friends waiting for her.

Rosemary

Saxy May 9th 2011 11:40 am

Absolutely,
One day I couldn't make my daily appointment time of 10.15AM, so asked the radiologist if I could come in earlier or later. He replied "John, I start work at 8AM and finish at 4PM. You can come any day, at any time you like."
I don't think that would happen in the U.K. :eek:

John.