Healthcare

Old May 30th 2010, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Val W is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Healthcare

Can anyone help with our query regarding healthcare. We are early retirees, haven't worked in the UK since August 2008. We have recently purchased a property here, we will be living permanently but haven't as yet taken out residencia. My husband is on medication for diabetes, and at present gets his prescriptions from the UK. We have had these brought out for us by friends/relatives coming over, but this month have had to purchase one packet of tablets which cost us 35 euros (he has three different types of tablets each month, so if we had to buy them all I dread to think how much it would cost each month). We believe we aren't able to have permanent healthcare until my husband is 65, in 18 months time (I am 58). We have taken out the padron and have a temporary sip card and our EHIC card. What does this entitle us to? What is our best way forward, do we take out residencia, and healthcare here? I believe we would have to pay into the system, or do we carry on as now, getting the prescriptions from the UK. If we take out residencia, which would mean we don't pay non residents tax, would the authorities notify the relevant department at home and stop my husband's prescriptions. Any advice is welcomed.
Old May 30th 2010, 9:12 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare

Originally Posted by Val W
Can anyone help with our query regarding healthcare. We are early retirees, haven't worked in the UK since August 2008. We have recently purchased a property here, we will be living permanently but haven't as yet taken out residencia. My husband is on medication for diabetes, and at present gets his prescriptions from the UK. We have had these brought out for us by friends/relatives coming over, but this month have had to purchase one packet of tablets which cost us 35 euros (he has three different types of tablets each month, so if we had to buy them all I dread to think how much it would cost each month). We believe we aren't able to have permanent healthcare until my husband is 65, in 18 months time (I am 58). We have taken out the padron and have a temporary sip card and our EHIC card. What does this entitle us to? What is our best way forward, do we take out residencia, and healthcare here? I believe we would have to pay into the system, or do we carry on as now, getting the prescriptions from the UK. If we take out residencia, which would mean we don't pay non residents tax, would the authorities notify the relevant department at home and stop my husband's prescriptions. Any advice is welcomed.
When you leave the UK you are supposed to inform your doctor and return your health cards.
If you live in Spain for more than 3 months you are obliged to register at the local police station, you will be given a residencia certificate and an NIE number.
You will need to take out private care till retirement age as you are not entitled to claim health cover from the UK until then.
Your EHIC card is invalid as you are no longer resident in the UK, you will need to apply for one to cover you for emergency treatment while you are out of Spain.
Old May 31st 2010, 6:27 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
When you leave the UK you are supposed to inform your doctor and return your health cards.
If you live in Spain for more than 3 months you are obliged to register at the local police station, you will be given a residencia certificate and an NIE number.
You will need to take out private care till retirement age as you are not entitled to claim health cover from the UK until then.
Your EHIC card is invalid as you are no longer resident in the UK, you will need to apply for one to cover you for emergency treatment while you are out of Spain.
Which of course you can't do unless you are IN the Spanish health system.

Val - you mention that your husband gets to retirement age in 18 months time, I think your temporary card should cover you both 'till then. However, I'm not sure what the process is for getting reductions on prescription charges.
Old May 31st 2010, 6:34 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Which of course you can't do unless you are IN the Spanish health system.

Val - you mention that your husband gets to retirement age in 18 months time, I think your temporary card should cover you both 'till then. However, I'm not sure what the process is for getting reductions on prescription charges.
it's often worth simply asking the pharmacist if there is a cheaper version of the medicine

someone I know has been paying 20+ euros a go for something or other for several years - statins I think - they were complaining about the price so I suggested they just ask - the pharmacist gave them the generic version which cost 3-4 euros
Old May 31st 2010, 7:36 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

C What is our best way forward, do we take out residencia, and healthcare here? I believe we would have to pay into the system, or do we carry on as now, getting the prescriptions from the UK. If we take out residencia, which would mean we don't pay non residents tax, would the authorities notify the relevant department at home and stop my husband's prescriptions. Any advice is welcomed.
Hi Val

You really have no choice but to take out what you call residencia here if you are now living here. You have 90 days to do this, its a requirement in Spain that you have to adhere to. If you are living here then you you have no need to pay non residents tax. You will also become a tax resident here and be required to pay Spanish taxes.

When your E106 runs out (as ours did originally) your option is privare health cover which is not as expensive as the UK (try Sanitas.es) but the problem will be getting cover on pre existing conditions.

As you are living in Spain you will have no further access to the NHS as you dont reside there any more.
Old May 31st 2010, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

My partner is covered by an e106 till end of next yr when he registers with a doctor in Spain will I be covered on the same cover or do I need to get my own healthcare?
Old May 31st 2010, 8:30 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jay01
My partner is covered by an e106 till end of next yr when he registers with a doctor in Spain will I be covered on the same cover or do I need to get my own healthcare?
When we came here we had an E106 each, as it is based on the payments you made into the system you made back in the UK. So I'm pretty sure that unless your partner is over retirement age, you will need your own healthcare as yr partners E106 only covers that person
Old May 31st 2010, 9:23 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
When we came here we had an E106 each, as it is based on the payments you made into the system you made back in the UK. So I'm pretty sure that unless your partner is over retirement age, you will need your own healthcare as yr partners E106 only covers that person
Children, however, are covered on their parents E106.

I'm not sure but I think you can be covered on your partners' paperwork.
Old May 31st 2010, 9:35 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Children, however, are covered on their parents E106.

I'm not sure but I think you can be covered on your partners' paperwork.
Children, maybe so, but the OP was referring to their partner on this thread.

I'm not sure about that second point. What if they have made no payments in the UK? The length of time your E106 runs is based on th payments you made to the system over the last "X" number of years. When we applied, we had to make separate applications
Old May 31st 2010, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for all the replies. When we take out residencia, and apply for the E106, what is the liklehood of us getting it seeing as we both finished work in August 2008, although we both have worked all our lives, so I have contributed for 38 years and my husband for 45 years.
Old May 31st 2010, 10:13 am
Senior Moment

Thank you for all the replies. When we take out residencia, and apply for the E106, what is the liklehood of us getting it seeing as we both finished work in August 2008, although we both have worked all our lives, so I have contributed for 38 years and my husband for 45 years.
Can you just clarify pse, are you actually living in Spain now, or are you contemplating living in Spain??

You should ring DWP Newcastle and explain your situation, and then they will tell you how much time you are entitled to.
Old May 31st 2010, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

We have a property in Spain which we purchased in January, we are in Spain at the moment and want to make this our permanent home although we haven't actually moved permanently yet, we are here for 2 months.
Old May 31st 2010, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think you will get an E106 as it is the last two working years taken into account and by 2 years it is April to April, I left work in August so didnt actualy get the full 2 years. It doesn't matter how many years you have worked, they only take the last 2 financial years into consideration.

As soon as I hit 60, last year I applied and got the E121 as an (as it said on the back of the E121 for reason of "old age ) they then sent the forms here from Newcastle and registered in Motril then took the papers to local surgery, this covers hubby though he is only 62.

So to summarise I dont think you will get the E106 though as previous poster says call Newcastle, I found them most helpful.

Good luck
Old May 31st 2010, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

LittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the rough

Hi, as you are in Valencia Region one option you might consider is the "Private Patients Covenant" offered by the Generalitat. This costs 270 euros per quarter but covers pre-existing conditions and there is, I believe, a discount of 40% off prescriptions. This scheme is only open to residents. Here´s link to some info on the application procedure;

http://www.puma22.org/article-476.html

The scheme is a bureaucratic nightmare and and I´d look at all other options first especially those suggested by the previous posters regarding E121, contact DWP etc.
Old May 31st 2010, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Cant get the E121 until in receipt of Britsh pension, as I know lol. But the idea above sounds quite good, we dont have anything like that here, though having registred last year I am finding the health care very good here, as in our area

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.