Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Health/travel insurance query

Health/travel insurance query

Old Aug 17th 2018, 11:53 am
Just Joined

LadyfromUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health/travel insurance query

We have a villa in the Castellon area and at the moment choose to live one month in Spain and one month in the UK. This may change next year in that we may decide to live more permanently in Spain but keeping a house in UK.
My travel insurance is due for renewal shortly and although we are reasonably satisfied with the product I am concerned that we may need to go over the 183 days we can be out of the UK in a year. Is there any other type of insurance available that would be "more flexible". We already take out annual travel insurance but find it a little restrictive. This type of query may have been posted before so I apologise in advance if I am repeating the question. I have looked trough the forums but couldn't find anything to help me.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health/travel insurance query

What is wrong with using EHIC for healthcover:
The UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is valid for holidaymakers and temporary visitors who need to use the state health system while in another EU country. '
(https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthca...itors-to-spain)

Regards insurance what risks are you trying to cover? assume you are only travelling light (being a frequent flier) and using a card and/or other rights probably gives cover against flight delay problems.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

If there is no deal will there be an EHIC next year? In fact even with a deal the EHIC has not been dealt with yet other than for those resident on Brexit date (for cover outside Spain or other EU country of residence) and those on a short break on exit date untill the end of that break. Per government updates the EHIC has not been discussed further as it was outside scope of current negotiations.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Health/travel insurance query

We both have an EHIC card. Apart from the fact that my husband has a couple of medical issues I think relying on a EHIC card is not a bad idea. Also, a lot of what is included in travel insurance we probably have with contents insurance and credit card rights. Worthwhile thinking about. As regards the future of the EHIC card - I can't worry about that at this stage. However something else to consider. Many thanks for your views and it is much appreciated.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 11:11 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LadyfromUK
We both have an EHIC card. Apart from the fact that my husband has a couple of medical issues I think relying on a EHIC card is not a bad idea. Also, a lot of what is included in travel insurance we probably have with contents insurance and credit card rights. Worthwhile thinking about. As regards the future of the EHIC card - I can't worry about that at this stage. However something else to consider. Many thanks for your views and it is much appreciated.
I can see acouple of problems you may not have thought about, if you are in Spain for more than 183 days in a year then you will automatically become tax resident in Spain and have tom do a tax return, so until you make a permanent move please be careful. The other thing is that the EHIC card will not cover you in certain instances, one of the major ones is if you need medical repatriation, god forbid, but the costs for this would run into several thousands of pounds, so relying on the EHIC card could be expensive.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​​I would think that the EHIC card will continue just as I think that there will be some sort of Brexit deal done. All I am saying is it is not guaranteed to continue.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Yes, we will certainly bear in mind the 183 day rules re tax in Spain and I suspect we will take out a travel insurance which will be ok for our needs. As regards the EHIC card it is certainly ok for most medical situations but as my husband has some quite serious problems then travel insurance is the way for us at the present time. Thank you all for your good advice.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

We have a villa in the Castellon area and at the moment choose to live one month in Spain and one month in the UK. This may change next year in that we may decide to live more permanently in Spain but keeping a house in UK.
My travel insurance is due for renewal shortly and although we are reasonably satisfied with the product I am concerned that we may need to go over the 183 days we can be out of the UK in a year. Is there any other type of insurance available that would be "more flexible". We already take out annual travel insurance but find it a little restrictive. This type of query may have been posted before so I apologise in advance if I am repeating the question. I have looked trough the forums but couldn't find anything to help me.

We use these people....https://www.staysure.co.uk/annual-travel-insurance/ we have annual cover and pay extra for 90 day cover per trip.
They offer long stay, annual and Expat cover..Don't forget that you can't use your UK EHIC if you become resident in Spain, you'll need the Spanish version.
They also provide cover if you have a number of medical issues.

Last edited by bolton wanderer; Aug 19th 2018 at 5:12 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot obtain Spanish healthcare via EHIC if you are resident in Spain - but if you are a UK state pensioner and UK provides your healthcare you can obtain EHIC to cover your travels to other EU countries (of course after Brexit who knows) Spain's equivalent (TSE) is issued to those who work in Spain and thus contribute into Spanish system.

BTW my healthcare is provided by Spain, I am an early retiree but due to length of residency I get free cover but this does not include TSE rights and because I am neither UK resident or UK state pensioner I have no access to EHIC either! So its take insurance or wing it!

Last edited by spainrico; Aug 19th 2018 at 5:27 pm.