Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

'Health Tourism'

'Health Tourism'

Old Apr 18th 2012, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute
Default 'Health Tourism'

The Government, eager to save save save, is to put a stop to 'el turismo sanitario'. How far this will affect Europeans living in Spain remains to be seen.
Thought that 'Europe' was just about handing out huge lumps of dosh one-way to Spain? Well, maybe it is.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Health Tourism'

Originally Posted by Lenox
The Government, eager to save save save, is to put a stop to 'el turismo sanitario'. How far this will affect Europeans living in Spain remains to be seen.
Thought that 'Europe' was just about handing out huge lumps of dosh one-way to Spain? Well, maybe it is.
It's news to me that citizens of other EU countries can come to Spain, sign on the padron and get a tarjeta sanitaria, as the article describes. I also don't understand why she keeps banging on about foreigners living in Spain who go back to their countries of origin for treatment which Spain gets billed for. In my experience, the abuse is more likely to occur when people claim they still have a UK address (usually it's actually a relative's address not theirs) in order to enable them to return to the UK for NHS treatment.