Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Health system & getting a doctor

Health system & getting a doctor

Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:09 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Health system & getting a doctor

Well, where to start ...

When we arrived in Spain we were all given SIP cards for 6 months. When they expired we got forms 106 from UK, went to the social and registered for new SIP's. (as you can imaging, this process took several weeks ).

We went to the medical centre to get our cards - this was fine but they couldn't assign us a doctor (no one knew why).

We now need to get urgent treatment for our son. We tried to book an appointment via the internet (as before) but was told that there was insufficient data. We went to the medical centre and was told that we had to go 'round the social route again. Having argued about this, they finally conceded that we didn't.

They tried to give us an appointment but couldn't (no doctor assigned). We were told to come back at lunchtime (hence with all children, at the busiest time etc...) and try and register again for SIP's. We did this and waited the obligatory 2 hours to see someone - the system would not allow a doctor to be assigned . We are now told not to use the SIP's but to use our EHIC cards which they destroyed some months earlier when we were given the original SIP's:curse:.

No one at the medical centre seems to know what to do - can anyone else assist or has anyone else come across this stupidity?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:16 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health system & getting a doctor

Well unfortunately if you are not working your temporary sip card only covers you for the duration of the E106 document, i.e. up to two years. After that, if you are not of retirement age or working then you have no health cover here in Spain unless, allegedly, you reside in the Valencia region.

The EHIC card is normally to cover you for emergency treatment.

Normally people take out private health cover to cover them from when the E106 runs out to when they (a) retire or (b) work here and contribute to the Spanish system.

Speak to DWP Newcatle, overseas medical benefits, on 0191 218 1999 for the full extent of your situation and to see if you canget new EHIC cards
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:19 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I should add that although a few have said that health care in Valencia extends beyond the E106 under "healthcare for all", thats not the experience I had when registering for my temp card. I was told it was only valid until the end of the E106 period. Thats why I took out private cover which is only around £60 per month
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:22 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. Our 106's are not due to run out 'till 2009 so that's not the problem.

If we use the EHIC cards (UK version) then this is illegal as we are not resident in UK. What we have to do is to apply for the Spanish equivalents and then they will cover us for emergency treatment only when on holiday AWAY from Spain.

I know we can go private but why should we when we are paid up on NI contributions and are (supposedly) allowed reciprical treatment in Spain with the 106 forms?

Mmmm...
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:23 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Thanks for that. Our 106's are not due to run out 'till 2009 so that's not the problem.

If we use the EHIC cards (UK version) then this is illegal as we are not resident in UK. What we have to do is to apply for the Spanish equivalents and then they will cover us for emergency treatment only when on holiday AWAY from Spain.

I know we can go private but why should we when we are paid up on NI contributions and are (supposedly) allowed reciprical treatment in Spain with the 106 forms?

Mmmm...
Who are you with for your private cover? We've had quotes that are much higher than that?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:25 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Who are you with for your private cover? We've had quotes that are much higher than that?
We are mid fifties and are with Sanitas .... you can get a quote on line

http://www.sanitas.es/websanitas/ing/index.html

If you've been going to the English companies then thats why you've been quoted expensive. Sanitas are part of BUPA, but if you ask BUPA your price is likely to be nearer £180 - £220!!!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 1:54 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
We are mid fifties and are with Sanitas .... you can get a quote on line

http://www.sanitas.es/websanitas/ing/index.html

If you've been going to the English companies then thats why you've been quoted expensive. Sanitas are part of BUPA, but if you ask BUPA your price is likely to be nearer £180 - £220!!!
Thanks again, I'll try them. I'd only tried ASSSA 'till now.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

I should add that although a few have said that health care in Valencia extends beyond the E106 under "healthcare for all", thats not the experience I had when registering for my temp card. I was told it was only valid until the end of the E106 period. Thats why I took out private cover which is only around £60 per month
Is that just you or both of you?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 3:46 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by SueG
Is that just you or both of you?
For both
Old Nov 6th 2007, 3:52 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

For both
Just did a quote on the link you gave and it was very reasonable. What plan do you have, my quote was for the classic health plan?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 3:57 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Pam Sarky
Just did a quote on the link you gave and it was very reasonable. What plan do you have, my quote was for the classic health plan?
Iirc mine is the classic also
I've not used them yet, but there were some good recommendations on here
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:20 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Iirc mine is the classic also
I've not used them yet, but there were some good recommendations on here
Not bad, got quoted 99e for the two of us per month
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

For both
Thanks will try and get a quote also. xx