Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Health and Safety

Health and Safety

Old Aug 27th 2008, 12:33 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Health and Safety

Just had a good laugh at the men putting up the illuminations for the fiesta. One was up a ladder reaching the wires on the third floor of the building. Could not do all of the work needed so his partner wheeled the ladder around the road, in the meantime the man up the ladder was sticking his leg out to hook thick wires.

Rosemary
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Health and Safety

Have they actually heard of health & safety in Spain? We've just watched a house getting built on the parcela next door. In 9 months I haven't seen 1 hard hard or any other piece of safety equipment in evidence. The site was left unfenced over weekends, so all the neighbours have had a good look around the new house. None of us fell in the wiring ditches or the hole dug for the swimming pool or electricuted ourselves on the live wires hanging out of the walls. The live wires get left for the new owners unless they pay the builder extra to install light fittings which they have to buy themselves.

Not sure what happens if anyone did have an accident?

Rose
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:24 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

When our villa was at roof stage (we are built on the side of a hill) they put a series of planks held up by blocks from the road to the roof. There was at least a 20 ft drop at the deep end, and they simply pushed wheelbarrows of cement accross the planks whilst they bounced up and down with the weight
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
When our villa was at roof stage (we are built on the side of a hill) they put a series of planks held up by blocks from the road to the roof. There was at least a 20 ft drop at the deep end, and they simply pushed wheelbarrows of cement accross the planks whilst they bounced up and down with the weight
Yep thats how they did ours and next doors. We came out to inspect ours and had a good climb all over the planks one Sunday when no-one was around. I've got the photos to prove it!

Still its awful hot to be wearing safety gear

Rose
Old Aug 27th 2008, 2:02 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
Yep thats how they did ours and next doors. We came out to inspect ours and had a good climb all over the planks one Sunday when no-one was around. I've got the photos to prove it!

Still its awful hot to be wearing safety gear

Rose
When they built our wall one of the builders tripped and rolled down the hill, got taken to hospital

When the neighbour does his gardening he ties himself to his car with thick rope
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:09 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
When they built our wall one of the builders tripped and rolled down the hill, got taken to hospital

When the neighbour does his gardening he ties himself to his car with thick rope
yes but they are starting to get tough with the safety regs on the sites and if the inspector comes they are in big trouble.unless your balancing on a crane 100ft high with a spanner in one hand and a can of san miguel in the other.or fitting the gas mains and testing with a lighter.or discharging a petrol tanker while smoking a cigar.or even sticking a plank out of the window 2 floors up.balancing on it whilst trying to fit the aircon unit to the wall.

I hope no one steels your neigbours car while he is working in the garden
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:20 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris;
I hope no one steels your neigbours car while he is working in the garden
Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:21 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Ditto
Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

03630 will become famous soon enough03630 will become famous soon enough

Have they actually heard of health & safety in Spain? We've just watched a house getting built on the parcela next door. In 9 months I haven't seen 1 hard hard or any other piece of safety equipment in evidence. The site was left unfenced over weekends, so all the neighbours have had a good look around the new house. None of us fell in the wiring ditches or the hole dug for the swimming pool or electricuted ourselves on the live wires hanging out of the walls. The live wires get left for the new owners unless they pay the builder extra to install light fittings which they have to buy themselves.

Not sure what happens if anyone did have an accident?

Rose
I really hope that the H&S brigade never come here. Can you imagine the bull run at Pamplona or Las Fallas done UK style. We would get to watch a film whilst sitting in a foam padded room, wearing a dayglo jacket.

At the same time sensible safety advice such as warning triangles in cars, mandatory in most of europe are steadfastly ignored in Brown's Britain.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:13 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Health and Safety what that ? your health why drinking and you safety when you drunk
lol
Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:36 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

well I fell of the ladder today.no damage to myself.but they say when riding a horse or a bike and you fall off,get straight back on.so tomorrow I am going to take this advise and try the second rung.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:50 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 03630
I really hope that the H&S brigade never come here. Can you imagine the bull run at Pamplona or Las Fallas done UK style. We would get to watch a film whilst sitting in a foam padded room, wearing a dayglo jacket.

At the same time sensible safety advice such as warning triangles in cars, mandatory in most of europe are steadfastly ignored in Brown's Britain.
Health and Safety controls are always ridiculous, until you are bleaching the blood stains and facing a court case for killing someone, then you wish you'd paid that little bit more attention to them.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Health and Safety controls are always ridiculous, until you are bleaching the blood stains and facing a court case for killing someone, then you wish you'd paid that little bit more attention to them.
Ah well a friends of mines husband lost his leg (and almost his life through blood loss) in an accident on a building site in the UK. I agree that a lot of the regulations seem a bit over the top and if everyone applied a bit of common sense they wouldn't be necessary. However as another friend of mine used to say 'common sense isn't all that common'. Who isn't inclined to take the 'it will never happen to me' approach and regret it later.

Sadly the UK seems to have adopted a US style 'sue me' approach and if that every comes here I'm sure we'll see a tighting up on safety controls.

Rose
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:14 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Ah well a friends of mines husband lost his leg (and almost his life through blood loss) in an accident on a building site in the UK. I agree that a lot of the regulations seem a bit over the top and if everyone applied a bit of common sense they wouldn't be necessary. However as another friend of mine used to say 'common sense isn't all that common'. Who isn't inclined to take the 'it will never happen to me' approach and regret it later.

Sadly the UK seems to have adopted a US style 'sue me' approach and if that every comes here I'm sure we'll see a tighting up on safety controls.

Rose
Absolutely - safety systems are not designed for normal people with normal common sense, they have to be made for fools who frequently, do the most strange things without thinking of their exposure.

Actually, having worked in relatively heavy industries in both the UK and the US, IMO the UK is years ahead on H&S. Basically the UK (& EU) have a lot more legislation pushing employers into examining various aspects of risk and hazard (prevention), whereas the US tends to have a lot less but is more open to people suing after an accident.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 11:27 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Absolutely - safety systems are not designed for normal people with normal common sense, they have to be made for fools who frequently, do the most strange things without thinking of their exposure.

Actually, having worked in relatively heavy industries in both the UK and the US, IMO the UK is years ahead on H&S. Basically the UK (& EU) have a lot more legislation pushing employers into examining various aspects of risk and hazard (prevention), whereas the US tends to have a lot less but is more open to people suing after an accident.
H&S in Spain? Oil and Water come to mind !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.