Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Health/operations for children

Health/operations for children

Old Dec 13th 2006, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

5358tracey is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Health/operations for children

Hi, I am planning on moving to Spain this Saturday 16th Dec and have just been told today that my daughter who is eleven urgently needs an eye operation. Can anyone give me any advice. The hospital here has said that I need to arrange for her to have the op in spain asap, possibly under the EU regulations I would not have to pay. At the moment I will not be a resident and residencia takes up to six months so I am told. I understand also that children have no entitlement to free dental treatment like in the Uk, she has braces fitted that need regular adjustments, has anyone else been in this situation that can give me any advice? Thanks
Old Dec 13th 2006, 8:08 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health/operations for children

My neighbour pays 50 euros a month for her daughters brace to be adjusted and she is spanish.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

DrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 5358tracey
Hi, I am planning on moving to Spain this Saturday 16th Dec and have just been told today that my daughter who is eleven urgently needs an eye operation. Can anyone give me any advice. The hospital here has said that I need to arrange for her to have the op in spain asap, possibly under the EU regulations I would not have to pay. At the moment I will not be a resident and residencia takes up to six months so I am told. I understand also that children have no entitlement to free dental treatment like in the Uk, she has braces fitted that need regular adjustments, has anyone else been in this situation that can give me any advice? Thanks
I don't know about dental, but if your daughter is covered by the UK national service, she should be able to get free urgent care in Spain. There is a EU-wide health card that allows to do that, you probably have to obtain it in the UK. I had a minor operation in the emergency room while traveling to Germany and got it for free even without this EU card, just by showing them my spanish health card.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 5358tracey
Before you come to Spain I would ring Denplan and get a recommendation from them for a Spanish Dentist. My husband needed urgent dental treatment and the dentist we visited was a butcher. He did two unnecessary route canals and in the process broke through the side of one of my husband's teeth. He was in so much pain we had to visit the Amblatoria and they gave him an injection for the pain. I know it is not feasible for everyone but we returned to the UK and saw the dentist we usually see in the UK. We kept up our Denplan subscription. Our dentist described the Spanish Dentist as a "butcher". We were lucky that the UK Dentist managed to save my husband's teeth.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: Health/operations for children

Hi, thanks for this, will ring Denplan. You have certainly given me food for thought.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: Health/operations for children

Thanks for this. It is good to know what to expect to pay then I can at least weigh up whether it is worth returning to the UK for treatment or to stay and find treatment in Spain.