Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Health insurance and Tax

Health insurance and Tax

Old Aug 3rd 2018, 10:54 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance and Tax

That article is 6 weeks old.

The new rules were approved last week so it is certainly not an April Fool story.

Much information here

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/ap...-july-27-2018/
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 11:22 am
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
That article is 6 weeks old.

The new rules were approved last week so it is certainly not an April Fool story.

Much information here

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/ap...-july-27-2018/
Thanks Fred

Takes a bit of understanding for a thicky like me. Most expats only want to know the bottom line.

To cut to the chase, does this mean no proof of healthcare when applying for residence, EU or non EU persons?

Does it mean anyone can just turn up at the doctors or hospital for free treatment?
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose then we must wait and see if they drop the requirement to prove health cover when making a residency application.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 11:31 am
Just Joined

3robinsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, it seems like there a lot of changes going on.....as non-one, especially the politicians, knows what deal the uk strikes, I think we should prepare for the worse and hope for the best
thanks for all the info!
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 12:51 pm
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I suppose then we must wait and see if they drop the requirement to prove health cover when making a residency application.
I suppose you are correct bob. Although some of the information on free healthcare for everyone in Spain seems to be in plain English, either no one believes it or no one understands it. When asking the simple questions all you get is a link to what some other Tom, Dick or Harry is saying, it’s just like kicking the tin can down the road.If this question is so difficult what chance has anyone knowing where they stand on a BREXIT deal, if there ever is one? Bring back Dusty Bin 3-2-1 all is forgiven.

Old Aug 3rd 2018, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

I read the Spanish version, and the CAB version is a very good take on it. I have lived here five years I cannot see the new Regulations coming into effect much before the Brexit date, based on previous experience e.g. it took Andalucia almost a Year to offer the Convenio Especial after it was enshrined into Spanish law. Add to that the month of August, when NOTHING happens and it looks worse!

After Brexit, it may be made more difficult by the Spanish local Communities who change the 'guidelines ' as they please. Yes, people got residency here before the EU included the UK, and Yes, non EU people still get a retirement visa/ residency.....but currently they have to show 32000 euros income per annum! Having said that, things may be sweeter after Brexit for UK residents if that's agreed ...NOBODY KNOWS!

So Bob's message is right. To be safe, do it now if you can!

Last edited by lurchio; Aug 3rd 2018 at 1:11 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 3robinsons
Wow, it seems like there a lot of changes going on.....as non-one, especially the politicians, knows what deal the uk strikes, I think we should prepare for the worse and hope for the best
thanks for all the info!
Dead right. It's the time it will take to be absorbed by the Autonomous Communities that means you cannot bank on anything until your relevant A.C. gets it out there in black and white. A fact of life as regards living in Spain......Don't expect and you won't be disappointed ! It will happen, poco a poco......as they say !
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 1:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lurchio
I read the Spanish version, and the CAB version is a very good take on it. I have lived here five years I cannot see the new Regulations coming into effect much before the Brexit date, based on previous experience e.g. it took Andalucia almost a Year to offer the Convenio Especial after it was enshrined into Spanish law. Add to that the month of August, when NOTHING happens and it looks worse!

After Brexit, it may be made more difficult by the Spanish local Communities who change the 'guidelines ' as they please. Yes, people got residency here before the EU included the UK, and Yes, non EU people still get a retirement visa/ residency.....but currently they have to show 32000 euros income per annum! Having said that, things may be sweeter after Brexit for UK residents if that's agreed ...NOBODY KNOWS!

So Bob's message is right. To be safe, do it now if you can!
Thanks Lurchio

I guess it is the usual of ‘Politician speak with fork tongue’ believe it when you see it. Just like a TV advert, XYZ washing powder washes whiter than white, and at the bottom of the screen that you can hardly see for the 2 seconds ‘terms and conditions apply, excludes everything and everyone’.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Palmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the CAB link, Fred.

This bit was interesting:

"Basically all residents have always been entitled to healthcare if not insured due to employment or S1."

That's a new one on me.

@ Johncarzx, I think the bottom line, if I've got it right (?), is that this new Decree is essentially reaffirming the content of the existing Royal Decree of 2012. The only difference, as far as we're concerned, is that this new Decree is spelling it out. The 2012 Decree confirmed the principle of automatic healthcare coverage for a Spanish resident (if not covered through employment or state retirement) going forward from the date of the Decree, not up to the date of the Decree, which is how the INSS chose to interpret it.

Hopefully, this new Decree will be watertight this time and leave no room for abuse or misinterpretation by anyone....
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Guys .This is a wild rumour being circulated by I imagine third hand translations.Please read the actual legislation IN SPANISH. I will save lots of phone calls to various agencies which is now happening

I can't paste the required article at the moment but I can assure you the law does not apply to UK expat.

The reason I am doing this is my wife works for a law firm and all day Brits have been shouting at her about how they have been swindled into buying insurances and CE . And there is this new law etc. None of them speak Spanish and they all rely on either the grapevine or Google translates and now believe they are experts in law. Please stop it

Today. Aug 3. Read it please

http://amp.economiadigital.es/upday/...m_content=push

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 3rd 2018 at 2:34 pm. Reason: Posts merged - for future ref there is an 'edit' button you can use if you think of something you want to add.:-)
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for that update, that is exactly how I thought the new situation was. In other words it is for illegal immigrants who are neither registered or able to apply to register for residency which of course we from UK currently can do.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 6:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

No, it’s not just for the latest batch of African immigrants. Spain offered similar cover a few years back and then it was stopped. The present government have reintroduced it, not particularly for the recent flood of immigrants although the press has obviously picked up on that

Many expats are (quite understandably) getting their knickers in a twist trying to work out how it will affect them. As far as 99% of Spaniards are concerned, they all have full health cover already and have done for some time. Along with Brexit and the possible implications of a "No Deal" it is a very important consideration with regards to future residency rights, however it will be very low down the list of priorities for the departments that deal with the registration of new residents and will continue to be for some time.

A typical example of this sort of situation is the recent (OK two years ago) when the rules about tax on UK government pensions changed. To my certain knowledge, after 2 tax declaration period have passed, the staff in the Tax Office have not the slightest idea how it works and are giving out conflicting and incorrect advice on the matter. This once again, is because it is a subject of no interest to the Spanish so it just gets ignored.

Last edited by Fred James; Aug 3rd 2018 at 6:59 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

This law will not affect UK nationals at this time. Conjecture about Brexit is just that conjecture. So will people stop talking about free health care for all residents as it is not specifically accurate
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

As I said above. My experience here tells me that I will not be stopping our Convenio Especial payments just yet. As for people going berserk on rumour and innuendo, they have much to learn on how long Spanish Leglislation takes to get to their level, and the important thing is they are covered for the worse TODAY. Long way to go on this yet I think

I cannot see a situation where it will apply ONLY to non EC person's. Excluding British citizens, a lot more other EC citizens are settled.here and will continue to do so from all over the 27 countries, and they do not all have transferable healthcare.I sense a bit if a furore if that will be the case. It's not just about the British!!!

Unfortunately, I have had to learn 'wait and See ' since living here. I will let you know if I receive anything Officially in connection with my Convenio Especial! (Do not hold your breath).

My Spanish friend who is a language teacher helped translate the legal document we accessed. Articles, etc mean nothing to me, it's the document.

Last edited by lurchio; Aug 3rd 2018 at 9:20 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Please read the article linked above. This is not about the time it will take for something to be implicated in local offices. Sanchez has not elected to replace all of the anterior decree. That is to say legal residents will not receive free care if they do not contribute. Retired nationals are subject to the bilateral agreement which is nothing to do with this decree

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.