British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Health insurance for family (Disabled son)! Spain please. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/health-insurance-family-disabled-son-spain-please-935730/)

everton123 Nov 16th 2020 10:51 am

Health insurance for family (Disabled son)! Spain please.

Can anyone offer advice on the above please,
We are finicially secure.
I believe your have to have proof of Health insurance!
Are there any other requirements !!
Cheers

tebo53 Nov 16th 2020 11:24 am

Re: Health insurance for family (Disabled son)! Spain please.

Originally Posted by everton123 (Post 12936279)
Cheers

Hi, I assume that you are asking about applying for residency in Spain?

As part of the residency application to live here in Spain you will need to prove that you have full healthcare for yourself and all members of your family fully paid for a year.
You will also need to prove that you have sufficient monthly income to support yourself and family so not to become a burden on the state. Depending on the area you intend to be living they will have an income requirement you will need to satisfy. You will need to show a long term rental agreement or deeds to a property.

Steve

everton123 Nov 16th 2020 11:31 am

Hello Steve,
Thanks for your reply,I'm not very savvy with technology.
Can your recommend any reputable Health insurance companies please Steve..

tebo53 Nov 16th 2020 11:41 am

Originally Posted by everton123 (Post 12936288)
Hello Steve,
Thanks for your reply,I'm not very savvy with technology.
Can your recommend any reputable Health insurance companies please Steve..

I'm sorry but I've not had to use a private healthcare company as my healthcare is covered by the uk S1 system.

This is an excellent forum and another poster will be along shortly with some good suggestions.

Steve

inbarcelona Nov 16th 2020 5:23 pm

Try SANITAS or ADESLAS

inbarcelona Nov 16th 2020 5:23 pm

or AEGON

Barriej Nov 16th 2020 8:13 pm

Cheers

Depends where in Spain you will be applying.
Here in Sunny Xirles we have to apply in Alicante.

And to get your residency we need.

1. €9000 in a Spanish bank, maintained for 3 months and showing regular movements (bills, food, fuel, etc) and after you have been doing this for 3 months you will need to go into the bank. And get a stamped and signed statement that you are the account holder and a full 3 months of bank statements stamped as well. If each adult is applying separately thats €9000 each or its less for a couple but there is an amount for each child if you have any.
2. NIE (very important) but one can be issued when applying for residency (although Im not too sure about this as the new TIE system has changed things)
3. Complete copies of ALL of the pages in your passports.
4. A current Padron cert (although you should not be on the Padron until you are a resident) go figure. Oh and it must be dated less than 3 months ago.
5. Full healthcare for all applicants WITH NO COPAY and covering ALL EXISTING CONDITIONS or information about why not. Alicante require a complete copy of the policy and a certificate for the policy (they don't need the bank receipt now)
6. Parents full names (new one on me but got asked today for them)
7. They might want deeds or long term lease (but I think the Padron satisfies that) But we gave the deeds.

We had our final meeting with our solicitor today and she says its getting silly.
I also gave her my pension statement and the savings record from the UK just in case.
So our application will be going in online, probably tomorrow.

I would advise you to find a local Solicitor or Gestor because even if you have all of the above, without some Spanish you might just get sent away. These people are in business for a reason.

Im not a Solicitor and I wouldn't ask one of them to fix my wife's jewellery.
Thats my job. Im a highly trained Goldsmith (each to his own) is what Im trying to say.

As for healthcare we went with Aegon, but only did this because Santander would waive the €12 a month bank charge. For the year the cost was €620 each.

dmu Nov 17th 2020 7:08 am

Cheers

Hi, to clarify matters, how old is your son? If he's of school age, have you looked into his special-needs (for whatever handicap) schooling? If he is of age, have you researched his work opportunities? How is his Spanish? Would any UK benefits be exportable to Spain? Is your own Spanish adequate to cope with the extra Bureaucracy involved? The answers to these questions are important for your son's future.
In your other post you say you're thinking of moving to Spain, which implies not before 31st December 2020. You should also take the consequences of Brexit after 1st January 2021 into account....

everton123 Nov 17th 2020 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12936600)
Hi, to clarify matters, how old is your son? If he's of school age, have you looked into his special-needs (for whatever handicap) schooling? If he is of age, have you researched his work opportunities? How is his Spanish? Would any UK benefits be exportable to Spain? Is your own Spanish adequate to cope with the extra Bureaucracy involved? The answers to these questions are important for your son's future.
In your other post you say you're thinking of moving to Spain, which implies not before 31st December 2020. You should also take the consequences of Brexit after 1st January 2021 into account....

Sorry for delay,
My son as "Autism"
He's 27 he will not be able to work,He cannot talk.
I've looked into benefits he can receive from UK,
Me and wife have are pension, also can rent out property we own,I'll just see how they wind blows after 1st January 2021 (Brexit) I'm can speak enough Spanish to get by.
Cheers.

dougal03 Nov 17th 2020 12:35 pm

About 5 years ago I sold a property to a Spanish couple who needed to use their savings to buy a property they could rent out for extra income.They had a disabled child that had been partially funded for residential care.That was until reaching the age of 18years when Soc.Services informed them that they had to support him as he was now an adult.Since there is very little in Spain by way of welfare,unlike the UK,it doesn´t ´seem likely that a man of your son´s age will be eligible,but worth speaking to someone in authority.

dmu Nov 17th 2020 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by everton123 (Post 12936659)
Sorry for delay,
My son as "Autism"
He's 27 he will not be able to work,He cannot talk.
I've looked into benefits he can receive from UK,
Me and wife have are pension, also can rent out property we own,I'll just see how they wind blows after 1st January 2021 (Brexit) I'm can speak enough Spanish to get by.
Cheers.

You have a difficult decision to make.
A search in English came up with several results, for example:
https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/fa...sessment-spain

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/fa...iety-in-spain/

But maybe some one on the forum can give a link to an official Spanish Government Department concerning welfare for a non-EU autistic adult? When you know how much, or how little, you can count on them for help (not just financial, but also practical), and bearing in mind that your son wouldn't be able to communicate with the Spanish on his own, and if you really have to move out of the UK, might you consider moving to Ireland? Is there a particular reason for choosing Spain?
All the best with your decision, but make it with full knowledge of the facts....