Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

health insurance

health insurance

Old Jul 4th 2016, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Dinga is an unknown quantity at this point
Default health insurance

Hi, could anyone provide the details of a good health insurance. were moving to live there next month.

Been online and have been offered lots of world wide cover but for a couple that's well over 700 euro a month,.

Looking for something around the 200 euro a month. were both healthy
60-62.

many thanks

Dinga
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:11 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: health insurance

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:14 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

If either of you are UK pensioners you do not have to pay for private healthcare. You would need to request form S1 from DWP. If one is a pensioner and the other not you will need to ask for the non-pensioner to be put on the S1 form as the dependent.

Rosemary
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

At those ages too young to be UK pensioners no?
Old Jul 4th 2016, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by spainrico
I began to receive mine at 60 and Graham was put down as my dependent and he was 62, however we had already received free health care due to filling in the old style form before we left the UK. I know that they have kept on changing the age for receipt but no idea of the posters situation.

Rosemary
Old Jul 4th 2016, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico

I think the retirement age for women is now 66 yrs
Old Jul 4th 2016, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Bo S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dinga
Hi, could anyone provide the details of a good health insurance. were moving to live there next month.

Been online and have been offered lots of world wide cover but for a couple that's well over 700 euro a month,.

Looking for something around the 200 euro a month. were both healthy
60-62.

many thanks

Dinga
As previously mentioned by other members a Spanish based provider gives cover for just Spain if you so wish. They have, amongst others, suggested, http://www.asssa.es/en/

Looking in the local expat aimed newspapers also will help reveal more providers.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53

I think the retirement age for women is now 66 yrs
It is a rolling age depending on when you were born. But yes will end up at 66. I believe at the moment probably around 63/64 .
Old Jul 14th 2016, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

personal_assistant is an unknown quantity at this point

Sanitas have one of the best prices for expats in Spain. If you are after better coverage for comparable prices, drop me PM. I know an insurance broker in Valencia with yet not beat offerings by no one until now. Downside is, he only speak Spanish, but I could help with that.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 3:46 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Where will you be living Dinga?

Some regions have very localised insurance, which can be much cheaper than a national company. We are in Andalucia and pay about €1600pa for full cover for the two of us with no restrictions or premium hikes when you reach 65.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Adeslas ( owned by La CaixaBank ) very good. Have a look at their "Plena Plan" , beauty of it is you pay a lower premium but a small fee for a consultation etc. Typically about Euro 80,- for a healthy 60 year old with consultation charges of about Euro 5,- a visit. Been through cataract op and simple consultations no hassle. Can do everything on the web although they also have some offices dotted about the country. Also has three months travel coverage outside of Spain.
may even have an english website
Old Jul 15th 2016, 6:09 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked what the premium and coverage will be when you are an unhealthy 65 year old?
Old Jul 15th 2016, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment moving on inflation
Old Jul 15th 2016, 7:51 pm

Yes, they all move with inflation, but you should check the policy to see what happens when you hit 65. Some policies increase the premium dramatically and reduce the cover.

It really is worth checking, especially if you have no pre-existing conditions, so that you can change to a new policy before you get hit with the increases/restrictions.

Sadly, I have a number of friends whose insurance became expensive/restricted and they cancelled the policy. Now they are having real problems. The Spanish NHS is good, assuming you are entitled to it, but waiting times can be long compared to private cover.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

As an over 65 I did actually ask La Caixa for a plan similar to the one my wife has and the quote was reasonable , Euro 140,- or so. The advantage being you can "limit the damage" by increasing the amount you pay on individual consultations. In the end I stuck with the Social Security as the service was good, my prescriptions cheap and when I was seriously ill got amazingly professional attention at the SS hospital.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.